Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637253 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7185 on: November 20, 2009, 06:02:54 pm »

No Man used a spear though.

It might still be possible to kill a giant with a pair of pants though, there's aways strangling.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

goffrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: November 20, 2009, 06:17:28 pm »

You cannot tell the gender of an deceased person from the skeleton :P  You can tell sex.  A female pelvis has a rounded pubic arch, while the male pubic arch is a sharp angle--that's the easiest marker.  In addition, in the male, the ischial spines are curved more inward, while female ischial spines are spaced wider.

This is a good example of going out of your way to pick on word usage, when that usage is in fact 100% unambiguous and clear.  Sometimes it's useful and important to distinguish between gender and sex, but in this case there's no useful distinction because we're talking about decomposed mortal remains that have no mind with which to carry a gender identity.

Picking on language in online forums is a plague (and often insensitive to non-native speakers, etc.).  Please next time consider whether you're saying something that actually furthers the discussion, and if not then maybe just keep it to yourself (good advice in general; I wish people at work would do this more often in meetings).

I'm pretty sure the ":P" qualifies Chthonic's statement as a joke.

Also,
Please next time consider whether you're saying something that actually furthers the discussion

(And yes, I'm guilty of derailing too. Sue me.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: November 20, 2009, 06:19:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure the ":P" qualifies Chthonic's statement as a joke.

It's unfortunately not really possible to nitpick ironically.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: November 20, 2009, 06:31:53 pm »

What would be the use of named ammo?
Even if it survives killing a named creature or somesuch and become famous through that, it will most likely be destroyed the next time it is fired.

IMHO th weapon that fired the projectile is more important than the bolt itself... sure it can be mentioned that the bolt that finished off [INSERT NAME HERE] was a silver bolt of fair quality by Urist mkIII, but unless the bolt becomes indestructible in the process, it will be just a waste of effort. 
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: November 20, 2009, 06:37:26 pm »

Anyhow in terms of Gender's effect on personality and in some ways intelligence without getting into controvercy my thoughts on this is that it is a matter of nature and nurture. Though seperating which is which is rather difficult.

I am not sure that is an area to explore in Dwarf Fortress. Especially since Fantasy worlds are ripe with smashing gender barriers somewhat...

Anyhow so Toady added item preferences, I wonder how much of a difference it can make.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: November 20, 2009, 06:46:48 pm »

For gender polics I vote: "keep it out at any cost" Even if science proves females and males are not identical, ignore it.  *
The 'controversy' is not worth the trouble in gameplay payoff.
Aside from pregnancy, other gender specific stuff should be considdered cultural. I mean: it is noit even certain non-humans are mamals. Elves could be avian. Goblins could be reptiles.

ps it's 'rife'.

edit: *my personal obsevation is that people are all different, but male and female are more fundamentaly different. :p
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:57:18 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: November 20, 2009, 06:47:21 pm »

Named weapons will make a really nice touch!

About the ammo discussion: I personally believe ammo is part of the weapon it was fired from. For example, if DF had assault rifles, if a dwarf shot a dragon with an AK-47, it'd be the AK-47 that would be named. Not the bullet (s) that were fired from it.

The same logic applies to bows/crossbows and arrows/bolts.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: November 20, 2009, 06:53:48 pm »

well, females using their babies as meatshields is one good reason to keep them out of the militarry, that's where i start to discriminate my dwarves based on genres

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: November 20, 2009, 06:54:29 pm »

Actually it isn't controvercy I am thinking of. Certainly not many people will complain if the personality percents are altered, afteall it doesn't affect their gameplay in the least (Final Fantasy Tactics did it, how much controvercy did it cause)

The real loss is a sort of restrictions on heroicness.

Though an arguement for Gender differences is specifically so that the game can actually have an impact when females step out of their roles to become heros and leaders. When they are all equal it is meaningless to see a female warrior or female leader or a Order of Warrior Women, their gender is doesn't matter.

Though on that subject I fully support Civilisations gaining preferences, restrictions, and privilages to specific genders. I don't mind Sexism in my fantasy world.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: November 20, 2009, 07:04:10 pm »

Just mind that it should be procedurally generated. If there's a reason for it, it should fall out based on that.

If the females of Mantisoid Betas are stronger, then they become the warrior caste, perhaps. *shrug*
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #7195 on: November 20, 2009, 08:48:29 pm »

Didn't bard reserve his named arrow until he needed its perfection? And wasn't it destroyed, and yet important?

That said, named ranged weapons probably will come up a lot more.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: November 20, 2009, 09:22:54 pm »

females using their babies as meatshields is one good reason to keep them out of the militarry,

Out?

I say in!  The more protection for soldiers, the better!

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: November 20, 2009, 10:05:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure that dwarven women are meant to be more or less identical to the men. With the caste system raising possibilities for amazons and the like, I'm sure any aspiring neo-feminist modders can get their fill.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: November 20, 2009, 10:16:08 pm »

I'm pretty sure that dwarven women are meant to be more or less identical to the men. With the caste system raising possibilities for amazons and the like, I'm sure any aspiring neo-feminist modders can get their fill.

Don't forget the "BACK IN THE KITCHEN" masculists, or whatever the name would be.

But being able to choose genders for the embark dwarves is enough for that.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: November 20, 2009, 10:27:24 pm »

I guess there is a third way using a sort of Social breeding sort of way

When a society gets a culture that seperates genders using roles either formally or informally, the genders could adjust to fulfill those roles by the survival of the fittest.

Though that sound random. So I guess

What could happen is that early on the gender roles could be decided by pure chance (Most Miners are male for some reason) and exceptional characters of a certain gender. So a Civ where a woman somehow becomes the greatest warrior that ever lived could make the society believe that women are warriors or AT LEAST that a class of Warrior Women are made in her name or something.

Though I am only looking at the options.
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 1065