Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637474 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7080 on: November 19, 2009, 07:32:47 pm »

From what I found out... Extra ribs have some truth in them

People can randomly be born with extra ribs.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: November 19, 2009, 07:40:05 pm »

Woo! Let's get this to 500k views!

Oh, right.. this post should have a little more content. Hm...

Ah yes, the whole 'bone deformation' thing, I really don't think that it should be implemented, I mean seriously who cares if the male pelvis isn't specifically differentiated from the female pelvis?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: November 19, 2009, 07:43:13 pm »

Regardless, your average person isn't going to be able to notice any of that and tell if the skeleton was male or female. And once you start getting into skeleton elves, goblins, dwarves, and whatnot it becomes even less likely that any random adventurer will know how to tell the gender of a skeleton of another race.

Skeleton animals? Pretty much forget it, unless there is something really obvious to go off of (like horns).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: November 19, 2009, 07:47:28 pm »

Meh, I pretty much agree with everything you said, but that does bring up an interesting gameplay mechanic: as a corpse degrades over time or is mutilated by combat, it should be increasingly harder to tell if it's the corpse of a female or male, and maybe even harder if the corpse is that of a different race.

Wait, that's totally useless. Nevermind.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: November 19, 2009, 07:49:45 pm »

You'd be surprised. I mean there are large variations in human proportions. Loads of homonid fossils are stuck forever with the wrong gender's name.

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/excavation.html

Still, it's not like I'd be able to tell what Gibbon I'm being bitten by without being told by the narrator, so I guess I should just go with it.

Ah yes, the whole 'bone deformation' thing, I really don't think that it should be implemented, I mean seriously who cares if the male pelvis isn't specifically differentiated from the female pelvis?
Anyone who has, or will ever give birth.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: November 19, 2009, 07:58:15 pm »

You'd be surprised. I mean there are large variations in human proportions. Loads of homonid fossils are stuck forever with the wrong gender's name.

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/excavation.html
Yes, but do you yourself know the hundreds of ways to tell a female skeleton from a male skeleton?
Then how on earth do you expect a random adventurer with the education of an average peasant in the 14th century to know?
Also: hehehehehehehhehe, so true

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: November 19, 2009, 07:59:24 pm »

Toady already said he wasn't giving males and females different bodies in this release, except for beards.  Nonetheless, it would be very easy to implement -- break up the lower body into abdomen and pelvis, then give females a slightly higher BP relsize.

Meh, I pretty much agree with everything you said, but that does bring up an interesting gameplay mechanic: as a corpse degrades over time or is mutilated by combat, it should be increasingly harder to tell if it's the corpse of a female or male, and maybe even harder if the corpse is that of a different race.

It's so not totally useless!  Determining the identity of a corpse could come up in all kinds of situations.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: November 19, 2009, 08:01:22 pm »

But arn't differences between Genders generally looked down upon?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: November 19, 2009, 08:02:21 pm »

Toady already said he wasn't giving males and females different bodies in this release, except for beards.  Nonetheless, it would be very easy to implement -- break up the lower body into abdomen and pelvis, then give females a slightly higher BP relsize.

It's so not totally useless!  Determining the identity of a corpse could come up in all kinds of situations.

Indeed.  Curiosity and wondering is what Dwarf Fortress is all about!  What caused death to this being?  If a person, who?  WHY IS THERE TRAGEDY?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: November 19, 2009, 08:04:47 pm »

Yes, but do you yourself know the hundreds of ways to tell a female skeleton from a male skeleton?
Then how on earth do you expect a random adventurer with the education of an average peasant in the 14th century to know?
Also: hehehehehehehhehe, so true

Obviously it would be difficult with a random corpse, but if you were looking for a specific person with a notable physical attribute, it would be entirely reasonable to recognize X's preternaturally wide hips or Y's outlandishly broad shoulders.  This has as much to do with individual anatomical variation as with sexual dimorphism, though.  It would be cool if BP relsizes could be bell-curved like personalities etc.

But arn't differences between Genders generally looked down upon?

It can be done tastefully, though I understand Toady's reluctance to add it to vanilla.  I'm certainly going to make an anatomy mod for the next release if nobody else does.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: November 19, 2009, 08:05:26 pm »

No duh!!!! Dummy!!!!!!!!
That really made my day.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: November 19, 2009, 08:10:40 pm »

I think you're missing the point! Just because we can have something doesn't mean we should. Like how we can murder the entire population of a village doesn't mean we should, primarily because it's a good way to get a bolt lodged in your throat, karma and such not mentioned. >:D

Besides, those 5 minutes could be used for something else, like nosepicking or adding in new features or something. Also, like Footkerchief said, if Toady adds enough support for modders he'll have half his work already done for him, what with the modding community more anxious to be able to mod in metal men with chainsaws for penises than I've ever seen. : D

@Toonyman: When's the last time that you've ran across the corpse of an assasinated king or some other important person in-game, besides maybe the ones you kill yourself? >:D

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: November 19, 2009, 08:15:37 pm »

@Toonyman: When's the last time that you've ran across the corpse of an assasinated king or some other important person in-game, besides maybe the ones you kill yourself? >:D

Well, I don't think fighting ever happens in adventurer mode unfortunately unless it's like a farmer beating up an antman, but that hardly counts.

EDIT:  Besides the fights you cause!  :-D

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: November 19, 2009, 08:27:15 pm »

Do the civil war bug, watching a bunch of kids team up on a shopkeeper and ripping him apart is fun for the whole family, specially if they're related.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: November 19, 2009, 08:28:46 pm »

Ah, I love this community. :-D