Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637540 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7035 on: November 19, 2009, 04:20:49 am »

We've seen caverns that are over 10 z levels high, and possibly more. Caverns don't penetrate 'layers', but layers are of indeterminate thickness, i think i remember something about 5 - 15 z levels, but i can't be sure.

Toady intends for the endless invasions to be a constant threat, no matter how well established the fortress is, i think you'll find it much harder to fully secure yourself against the underground enemies than you think, especially if you want to get at the goodies.

Underground enemies will be much easier to deal with as they will have much more limited amount of spawn points and ways to reach dwarves will naturally form choke points.

I don't think it will come to that, however. Walling off caverns sections you want to keep and flooding rest (with magma) or trap overloard looks like good option to be safe until sieges get improved and enemies learn to dig.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: November 19, 2009, 04:40:40 am »

You'd need to embark on a volcano to get magma at the surface without having to first go through all 3 major layers however.

Also i think you might be underestimating both how hard it will be to properly explore the caverns, and how many areas they will intersect with the map edge. Oh i'm sure with enough effort and a few years it'll be possible to secure your fort, but i doubt it will be as easy as it is to do at the moment, unless you are not interested in the riches of the deep.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: November 19, 2009, 09:13:49 am »

We're all going to want to explore the caverns to find out what kinds of goodies are to be had but a fortress can have a pretty small footprint if you know what you're after.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: November 19, 2009, 09:51:33 am »

Looks like booze instead of water is starting to get worked on as its ever so slightly blue. Unless its been like that for a while and I simply didn't notice, but progress is still progress.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: November 19, 2009, 11:43:13 am »

Green is now worth more than gold.

/orgasms.

Also, mayhap DF's new version will be out before new years? =o... Or Toady could wind up having to put zee game development on hold when Christmas begins to catch up =o.

Either way, even if it's after new years, it couldn't be that far afterwards... Viva l'Armok!
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: November 19, 2009, 11:48:00 am »

Well it can't be

Basically if he finishes each item in 1 day he barely makes it. However at least 1 item will take him a week which shoots him over to the next year.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: November 19, 2009, 11:50:34 am »

Looks like booze instead of water is starting to get worked on as its ever so slightly blue. Unless its been like that for a while and I simply didn't notice, but progress is still progress.

Arrrgghh! Why didn't we get screenshots?!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: November 19, 2009, 11:52:21 am »

On underground defence: Perhaps Toady has implemented simple digging enemies without spoiling it?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: November 19, 2009, 12:01:46 pm »

On underground defence: Perhaps Toady has implemented simple digging enemies without spoiling it?

Maybe but I thought that had to wait until he improved the pathfinding which will happen when he improves sieges which will happen after he adds those red items which will happen after this release which will happen after december.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: November 19, 2009, 12:07:22 pm »

Arrrgghh! Why didn't we get screenshots?!

Haha, it was already the tiniest bit blue last week.  It's a little bluer now, I think.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: November 19, 2009, 12:16:23 pm »

Arrrgghh! Why didn't we get DF screenshots?!
fixed.

If I understand today's greened-out item correctly, we just lost our favorite "Get back to work!"
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: November 19, 2009, 12:27:52 pm »

Well it can't be

Basically if he finishes each item in 1 day he barely makes it. However at least 1 item will take him a week which shoots him over to the next year.

Plus you have to take into account holiday shopping (I don't know how big of a family he has though), general christmas social stuff, and possibly new years. A release window of two weeks before and two weeks after the new years sounds like a resonable time frame because the potential time frame keeps going either on the fence or a little before or a little after new years. At least a week will be taken up by bugfixes and compat testing. He has said that there are bugs he doesn't want to toss onto us.

Arrrgghh! Why didn't we get DF screenshots?!
fixed.

If I understand today's greened-out item correctly, we just lost our favorite "Get back to work!"

And which one was that? I know there are new green ones since there aren't as many white/blue sections, but I forget which one exactly is bieng referred to here.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: November 19, 2009, 12:33:45 pm »

• Deal with squad schedule/alert status vs. on break/jobs
Least, I think that's wht Toady was referring to. I'm referring to draft/undraft to stop break.

Gods a changelog on that post would be fun to play with/useful.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: November 19, 2009, 12:39:37 pm »

I agree with a changelog, but thats just the way this type of forum works, I don't think it can be changed to have a changelog.

As for screenshots, come on guys, he was at a meeting with some digital studio guys at their offices and he gave some screenshots of the thing that he did back in 6th grade. He doesn't need to make screenshots for every single item.

Edit: I just got it just now what you were referring to, lol.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:58:37 pm by smjjames »

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: November 19, 2009, 12:57:14 pm »

By my count it's 26 items left on the list, and there are still 42 days in the year (counting today).  That's 16 days to play with over a 1-per-day baseline for tasks that take longer.  Of course, it's easy to imagine more than 16 days getting eaten up by longer tasks, distractions, holidays, HFS, etc.  Some tasks, especially some of the "Update foo" ones, could take less than a day.  It's still possible some items will be punted on (candidates I see: rope ladders, weapon legends, drills/practice on free time).  January 1 may not be it, but it shouldn't be too far off the mark.  I'm not worried either way; if it's not done by then, we'll be within spitting distance and know it.  I'm just excited right now that squads are almost done, at which point we'll be in proper home-stretch territory.
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 1065