Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637746 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6975 on: November 18, 2009, 01:32:55 am »

In order to make pressure plate traps work though we need traps that can affect other squares.

I would certainly enjoy being able to build crossbows into the floor that fire down my entrance tunnel, or blades that down the walls and mince goblins standing near them. And so forth.

But i doubt we'll be seeing that for awhile; and even so you'd still need the rogue types who can disable pressure plates.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6976 on: November 18, 2009, 03:27:04 am »

What we really need are specially desginated 'Rogue' types that sneak in ahead of the main force and disarm traps and levers.

Perhaps it could be done in such a way as to ensure that there could be no graphic, only a tile, for this critter.

This seems like a good solution, but even just a static miss percent is fine. If they walk back over the trap, they have to do the work of avoiding it again.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: November 18, 2009, 04:54:35 am »

What we really need are specially desginated 'Rogue' types that sneak in ahead of the main force and disarm traps and levers.

Perhaps it could be done in such a way as to ensure that there could be no graphic, only a tile, for this critter.

Why do that? Just do it in the same way thieves are done atm.

Toady is intending on implementing more thievery stuff anyway, like Gremlins being invisible and trying to sneak into your fort to pull random levers for laughs.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: November 18, 2009, 07:23:35 am »

Toady, are the worlds generated by DF meant to be spherical or are they random? Your comment about worlds currently only having one pole made me wonder.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: November 18, 2009, 07:37:58 am »

Quote from: Toady One
...by the end four of seven dwarves had been killed and two of the last partially toothed swordsdwarves battled it out while the third wheel sat by semi-conscious. Killing his sparring partner was the final straw though, a tantrum came on, and the poor guy threw teeth and training swords all over the training room. I guess they would have started the final sparring match once he calmed down.

It's not only the implication that this is an actual game people can (soon) play.  It's not only the gravity of knowing somebody actually coded this.  It's the way it's written.  Dwarf Fortress is great just to hear about.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: November 18, 2009, 07:53:55 am »

Toady, are the worlds generated by DF meant to be spherical or are they random? Your comment about worlds currently only having one pole made me wonder.

They are flat. Although rivers do enter and exit the map along with edge oceans.

You may be confusing the religion spheres, which are currently limited to the gods, HFS, demons (not the HFS ones, the ones that control demon civs), and to an extent the good and evil regions. It will be expanded in the next release.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: November 18, 2009, 07:58:53 am »

two of the last partially toothed swordsdwarves battled it out while the third wheel sat by semi-conscious. Killing his sparring partner was the final straw though, a tantrum came on, and the poor guy threw teeth and training swords all over the training room

Hockey dwarves!  ;D (Actually with the expanded framework for activities and interaction with objects -- like Toady has hinted at with dwarves actually playing all those Microcline trumpets and such -- I wonder how much trouble it would be to mod in sports?)

I will not rest until I see the Icewall Wolves play an exhibition match against the Sunflower Hoary Marmots.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: November 18, 2009, 08:08:14 am »

Why call them thieves if they are part of a unit? If their job is to scout ahead and disable traps then their names should reflect either scouting or trap disabling.

At first I thought that wooden weapons were too powerful if they actually killed dwarves but then I realised that they could technically keep attacking injured dwarves until they were beaten to death.

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: November 18, 2009, 08:26:16 am »

You mentioned some thing about a "play combat" and "combat" option when sparring. My question is can you toggle this on and off in game or on and off in the raws? So for an example you can make a squad of 2 dwarves and have them fight all out in an arena or some thing? And if it's not in the game its self, can you add it please?
ey

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: November 18, 2009, 08:27:56 am »

In order to make pressure plate traps work though we need traps that can affect other squares.

I would certainly enjoy being able to build crossbows into the floor that fire down my entrance tunnel, or blades that down the walls and mince goblins standing near them. And so forth.

Well, a nice simple start is having a corridor with a Pressure Plate and a floodgate. Behind the floodgate is a precariously balanced spherical rock, like in this movie I saw once. I guess you can do it now with water, but it's trickier to reset, and it doesn't have the visceral hilarity of watching the Goblins run screaming away.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: November 18, 2009, 09:09:02 am »

They are flat. Although rivers do enter and exit the map along with edge oceans.

You may be confusing the religion spheres, which are currently limited to the gods, HFS, demons (not the HFS ones, the ones that control demon civs), and to an extent the good and evil regions. It will be expanded in the next release.
"Sphere of influence" is the context there right?

You mentioned some thing about a "play combat" and "combat" option when sparring. My question is can you toggle this on and off in game or on and off in the raws? So for an example you can make a squad of 2 dwarves and have them fight all out in an arena or some thing? And if it's not in the game its self, can you add it please?
During sparring they're trying to practice rather than cripple each other so they attack in a safer way. It's what makes the difference between you champion using an artifact hammer destroying all the rest of your military and their ability to kill things the actually want to.

A dwarf who knows how to use their equipped weapon type is actually less likely to injure dwarves during training. This will probably stick around in the new system.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: November 18, 2009, 09:38:58 am »

I think what Razzums actually was asking for was for Toady to include a way to designate any creature (or maybe item/constructions too) as an 'enemy of the state' (e.g. targeted for attack/destruction), not an dissertation on why training in non-lethal.

Otherwise the most clean method his desired mode of execution would be:
Including an Arena-roomtype.
On which tiles sparring occurs, while attracting onlookers (suggest this also occurs at normal sparring) that gain a happy or unhappy thought depending on personality. an arena room could have a toggle for lethal/non-lethal combat.
Such a room will probably be on the drawingboard, but not likely for this release. Army arc most probably. :)

[I hope Toady1 reads the above suggestions if the designs are not on the board yet. :) ]
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: November 18, 2009, 10:30:48 am »

You'll be able to do stuff like that in the combat testing arena.  I doubt he would add such a goofy option to the game itself.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: November 18, 2009, 10:43:07 am »

Wait, I thought "play combat" was something that was going to be included in fortress mode to stop sparring accidents?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: November 18, 2009, 10:50:59 am »

I think footkerchief meant that adding a toggle for that to the game itself would be silly, not 'play combat' mode.

*in response to the current devlog*
You know, Toadys sleep patterns sound more like my Uncles than the polyphasic sleeping stuff since he often sleeps in late and has breakfast at around noon . My uncle is retired, so thats part of it.
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 1065