Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624000 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6720 on: November 13, 2009, 12:20:08 pm »

Do dwarves now properly figure out who to use two-handed weapons on their own? Or do we still need to specifically tell them to do so?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: November 13, 2009, 12:35:20 pm »

Awesome to see so much green popping up in the first post! I hope it'll come out in 2-3 months.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6722 on: November 13, 2009, 12:58:16 pm »

So what does this new
Replace champion unit type with a single appointed champion
do?

Is he chosen as the best (overall, with one weapon)? the most popular?

Does he lead/train/insipire? Get replaced if wounded?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: November 13, 2009, 01:00:25 pm »

edit: Got answered by Footkerchief the All Knowing. (lol :) )
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:17:40 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: November 13, 2009, 01:16:29 pm »

Sounds kind of like the Knights of The Round Table thing.

Probably more akin to having a general commanding the military.

At least we should be able to retire Elite (legendary military will still be called Elite I guess) soldiers when they get injured or they have done their service in combat, or whatever.

Who hasn't wanted to de-activate elite soldiers for whatever reason?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: November 13, 2009, 01:17:43 pm »

Ah, that begs a new question. Which might be handled by the new squad equipment but...Previously, only Champions would use Artifacts. Can we assign artifact weapons and armor to any dwarf now?

Oh, and...If so,is there a way to override a squad's equipment orders for a particular dwarf? Say, I want to give my squad leader my artifact Battle Axe but have the rest of the squad use normal steel ones. Is that possible?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: November 13, 2009, 01:19:48 pm »

Actually, I think its only Elite and upwards that can only use artifacts. Since the champions now will still be called Elite, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: November 13, 2009, 01:26:26 pm »

Ah, that begs a new question. Which might be handled by the new squad equipment but...Previously, only Champions would use Artifacts. Can we assign artifact weapons and armor to any dwarf now?

Oh, and...If so,is there a way to override a squad's equipment orders for a particular dwarf? Say, I want to give my squad leader my artifact Battle Axe but have the rest of the squad use normal steel ones. Is that possible?

Sounds like yes to both: "There are various ways to tweak the equipment settings for individuals within a squad, and it all goes by the squad position and not the individual dwarf, though you can let a dwarf choose to use their favored melee weapon if ones available, if you don't care what they use. You can also assign specific individual items to squad positions. This mostly matters for artifacts, or if you are just really particular about equipment or some piece of new equipment. Setting an individual item will stop periodic upgrades for that piece of equipment, once I get those in."

It doesn't sound like there are Elite restrictions on squad positions, so you should be able to get an artifact into a dabbler's hands just by assigning them both to the same position.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:29:28 pm by Footkerchief »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: November 13, 2009, 01:33:05 pm »

Thanks, Footkerchief!
Come play Mafia with us!

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: November 13, 2009, 02:11:36 pm »

I believe the champion rank is bieng removed and I'm not sure about bieng able to undraft elite and legendary military dwarves is getting changed as well.

Quote from: List
  • Loosen up restrictions on changing elite soldiers

:)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: November 13, 2009, 03:40:42 pm »

Indeed that is a good development. :D
Still being stubborn/headstrong is a prerogative of being elite, so i'd be happy even with them just taking our equipment assignments as 'suggestions' as opposed to law. :p

[elite wrestler: "I'm not using no sissy sword, hammers are far better at making splatter!"]

(maybe not so accurate: wrestling as a profession has been redefined, if I understand correctly.)

Maybe : elite hammerer: "I'll take that adamantium helmet, thankyou sherriff, and that ruby encrusted steel hammer, mr hammerer, I am more entitled to that than you." will be more accurate. ;)
Acquiring superior equipment should be an aim of any soldier, though non-elites would be bound by what the quartermaster/you assign to them ...mostly.

Toady1 Q:Will dorfs (eventually) be able to swap/trade/steal items off one another or from unattended storage? Or are owned/held items still hardcoded as 'taboo' for acquisition-job purposes?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: November 13, 2009, 04:16:22 pm »

Toady1 Q:Will dorfs (eventually) be able to swap/trade/steal items off one another or from unattended storage? Or are owned/held items still hardcoded as 'taboo' for acquisition-job purposes?

Ohhhh, that would so super-awesome... if that behaviour would get rawed, we could even make a thief caste for the dorfs, but invisible to the player... you would only recognize them by the cluttered cabinets and chests....
thievery would be a really, really cool thing to see in the future, but it won't get implemented for this release, i guess and hope... it would only delay the release further ;)

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: November 13, 2009, 07:53:49 pm »

Hey, Foot changed his avatar again!

Finally, I will be able to assign dogs to my champions, as well as undraft them temporarily in a hauling crunch. I'm still curious as to what and how the quatermaster will specifically do, as well as how artifacts are to be handled.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: November 13, 2009, 08:48:04 pm »

Toady, with the new material system, can bolts pass straight through flesh/similar and out the other side again? Possibly into another creature behind them?

The 'homing missile' effect is bad enough in this version without it having the capacity to just keep on going.
The goblin's left foot has been pierced through!
The goblin's heart has been torn!
The goblin has been struck down!
The goblin's left eye has been bruised!
The goblin's right eye has been pierced through completely!
The goblin's brain has been torn!
The goblin has been struck down!
The goblin's right shoulder has been shattered!
The goblin's left lung has been bruised !
The goblin's right lung has been torn!
The goblin has suffocated!

Ohhhh, that would so super-awesome... if that behaviour would get rawed, we could even make a thief caste for the dorfs, but invisible to the player... you would only recognize them by the cluttered cabinets and chests....
But that's how we recognise our fetishest nobles!
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1065