Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3623964 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6705 on: November 12, 2009, 06:12:25 pm »

And the skulls would be great in a cannon.

This is a beautiful idea. I am totally modding in skulls as an ammo type for some sort of weapon in the next release. (maybe the sling)

I think the Orcs fired them over the walls of Gondor using catapults in Return of The King. Well, they were fresh gory heads, but it amounts to the same basic idea. I'm pretty sure that didn't make it to the film, although I seem to remember it may have snuck in the extended edition.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: November 12, 2009, 08:15:52 pm »

dead body have long be used as ammo in siges.
its not fun having a roting corpes locked in with you.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: November 12, 2009, 08:23:27 pm »

I think the Orcs fired them over the walls of Gondor using catapults in Return of The King. Well, they were fresh gory heads, but it amounts to the same basic idea. I'm pretty sure that didn't make it to the film, although I seem to remember it may have snuck in the extended edition.

Yeah, it was in the movie, but very briefly, even on TV.  It's a siege tactic as old as walls and catapults of course.  The Romans were the ones big on lobbing severed heads if I recall.  In the Middle Ages, the big thing was lobbing plague-dead corpses or burning animal carcasses.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: November 12, 2009, 08:37:28 pm »

Heh. I think I remember hearing that they'd lob in a pig with burning rushes or similar tied to it's tail, so it would run around, setting the place on fire. It's hard to imagine the pig hitting the ground running, though. Perhaps I imagined it. I really need to find something more wholesome to think about.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: November 12, 2009, 08:48:39 pm »

I think the burning pigs were a counter-siege method developed by the Romans to prevent Hannibals elephants from storming the walls.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: November 12, 2009, 08:53:36 pm »

At least the animal-with-flaming-tail trick is well precedented.  Now that I think about it, DF often resembles the Old Testament more than it does your average fantasy world.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: November 12, 2009, 09:36:26 pm »

I think the burning pigs were a counter-siege method developed by the Romans to prevent Hannibals elephants from storming the walls.
Huh. I had no idea. I guess they were following Pliny.

Quote from: Pliny the Elder
Male elephants are used in battle, carrying castles full of armed soldiers on their backs. The slightest squeal of a pig will frighten them, and African elephants fear to look at Indian elephants. They hate mice and will refuse to eat fodder that has been touched by one.

Oh, and since I keep forgetting to ask:

Toady, with the new material system, can bolts pass straight through flesh/similar and out the other side again? Possibly into another creature behind them?

There goes my "wholesome thoughts" drive.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: November 12, 2009, 10:27:14 pm »

Will we ever be able to see a dwarf's history from Dwarf Mode?  I mean, a way to access Legends without having to abandon the fort would be nice.  Also, can there be something so you can see what dwarf is assigned to a building task from the building itself instead of going into the unit/job menus?
I second this. Maybe we could have the legends exportable into a series of .txt files?

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: November 12, 2009, 11:26:35 pm »

Can we please get a small update with the arena to hold us over?
ey

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: November 12, 2009, 11:29:28 pm »

Can we please get a small update with the arena to hold us over?
Considering it's tied in with all of the other code he's working on updating it, it would probably take him longer to go back and make the tide-over than the finish coding the update.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: November 13, 2009, 12:15:44 am »

If we're gonna do that, might as well have a functionality that makes crossbowdwarves pick up lone bolts only when there's nothing else at all.
Or, about as good,  actually go until fullquiver( 40?)
Hell, I'm just looking forward to marksdwarves being smart enough to put more than one bolt stack in their quiver.
Yeah that.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: November 13, 2009, 09:40:06 am »

Toady, with the new material system, can bolts pass straight through flesh/similar and out the other side again? Possibly into another creature behind them?

Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left...

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6717 on: November 13, 2009, 10:37:18 am »

Quote from: Toady
Once that's done I should be able to check up on overall sparring injury rates to make sure we've settled down into something reasonable.

Nooo! Reasonableness should never enter into this!

While you're doing the quartermaster and such, if I may be so bold, could we have a DF mode screenshot or two of the nifty new menus and such? (but only if it doesn't impede progress. I haven't seen Aqizzar post on this thread recently, and I'm kinda worried some folks took him out back for a lessonsparring accident)

edit: ok, he did. I guess its safe to ask then :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:39:32 am by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: November 13, 2009, 10:52:14 am »

Since we now have the new Quartermaster semi-noble (barely even qualifies as a noble, unless they are also the bookkeeper), would it be possible to have them be in the military at the same time and still be able to do the job? I think the term is actually a Naval (or sailing rather) rank, but other sections of the military certainly have something similar. I know the mayor and other appointed nobles can be drafted, but I haven't tried making them do work while drafted but off duty.

I know I could certainly make them an ex-military dwarf (such as one who isn't doing too well in stats or training), but just bieng curious here.

Also, hopefully the Quartermaster should fix the clothes scattered about from wrestiling issue.

I believe the champion rank is bieng removed and I'm not sure about bieng able to undraft elite and legendary military dwarves is getting changed as well.

Personality effects on training
Edit: I think we are already seeing this to an extent since in my current fort, one of my 6 champions has always nervous as a personality trait and he is lagging behind the others. Not sure if that is due to the trait or something else (they all got through wrestling without injuries, so I know its not that). Not sure if that is the same one which got his lower spine injured by a goblin (was first to engage an ambush and was able to hold his own before backup arrived).

I'm somewhat undecided whether to do that spine removal trick that was mentioned in some thread somewhere (bug thread I think, no idea where it is) which resets wounds to all dwarves to fix him up. Although I'm thinking I'll just take it as it is, but I feel it was my fault since I had removed the wooden shields (was in the middle of making iron chain armor and melting other shields except for the iron ones the gobs dropped).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:00:51 am by smjjames »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: November 13, 2009, 11:12:56 am »

It's a pretty important decision if you've only got one artifact hammer and two hammerlords.

Does the Quartermaster decide who gets what, or does he just look after the equipment and toss out any old gear for the recruits?
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 1065