Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3614551 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6570 on: November 09, 2009, 06:13:04 pm »

do Siege Engineers not get artifacts when all of the other reasonable vanilla professions do?  Is it an oversight, and if not I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that decision?

Actually that isn't exactly true. A few other "reasonable" vanilla professions don't.

The issue is that other then Catapult Balls and Balistae Arrows they wouldn't be able to make anything all that worthwhile.

Making artifact constructs (or the ability to somehow cash in artifacts to make an artifact construct) needs to be worked on seperately.

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: November 09, 2009, 06:30:27 pm »

Ok, question that is completely unrelated to the topic(s) currently under discussion, and likely not to be implemented in this release (unless it is an oversight and not deliberate). Why do Siege Engineers not get artifacts when all of the other reasonable vanilla professions do?  Is it an oversight, and if not I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that decision?

I was quite irritated to find that tanning was a mood-able skill, means I can't just enable it on all my haulers or I'll end up with a legion of legendary tanners.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: November 09, 2009, 06:32:21 pm »

Ok, question that is completely unrelated to the topic(s) currently under discussion, and likely not to be implemented in this release (unless it is an oversight and not deliberate).

Not to be snide, but that kind of makes it better suited to Suggestions or a DF Talk question. 

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: November 09, 2009, 06:33:41 pm »

do Siege Engineers not get artifacts when all of the other reasonable vanilla professions do?  Is it an oversight, and if not I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that decision?

Actually that isn't exactly true. A few other "reasonable" vanilla professions don't.

Such as? When I think about it, any profession that produces finished (non-consumable) goods with a quality modifier can get moods.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: November 09, 2009, 06:51:24 pm »

I am confused... That is a question, but the lines after it suggests that I no longer need to answer it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: November 09, 2009, 06:59:02 pm »

But that's how a profession is defined as "reasonable" right now. I'm not sure what else you expect them to cover.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: November 09, 2009, 07:16:51 pm »

For some reason all I can think of for an artifact seige engineer would be making is a weaponized roman candle.  That would be badass.  Horrible burn wounds and half the wilderness burning merrily, if you don't like that yer an elf.

Of course that could very well be outside the scope of DF...gunpowder and all.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: November 09, 2009, 08:44:08 pm »

Ok, question that is completely unrelated to the topic(s) currently under discussion, and likely not to be implemented in this release (unless it is an oversight and not deliberate).

Not to be snide, but that kind of makes it better suited to Suggestions or a DF Talk question. 

My apologies.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: November 09, 2009, 09:15:49 pm »

Are kobolds like gremlins? (edit: As seen in the movies)

What movies were those?
The Gremlins movie. I think I saw it once a long while ago. Basically they wreak general havoc and chaos, like a malevolent evil type. Although I don't think they were neccesarily out to kill people, just make life miserable.

I think that Kobolds would eventually have their own flavours of mischief. A Kobold might prefer to set traps for your dwarfs or pets, once invaders can make buildings of course. From the little I can gather about the movie the Gremlins don't
sound as sneaky and tactful as I'd expect a Kobold to be.

Yeah, those. They are reptillomammalian mischief makers that are resoursefull and intelligent, while their speach is a pseudo-language. They also have a rudimentary society and they live in caves.
In the later movies they are a bit too protomorphic for my tastes, mutating and being all 40k orky tech savvy.
Toady did mention perverting gifts from the deep ones though.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: November 10, 2009, 12:14:02 am »

Hmm, if they are perverting the gifts they received from the (evil) deep ones, does that mean they are using them to spread sanity, sunshine, and happiness?

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: November 10, 2009, 06:06:35 am »

nay, the Kobolds are the perverted ones
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: November 10, 2009, 07:18:48 am »

lol
One of the gifts from the un-namable ones is said to be civilization, so in a sense: yeah.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: November 10, 2009, 09:04:23 am »

Can we get a "percent chance" added to the [trAPAVOID] creature tag?

Would be good to be able to make intelligent critters better at avoiding traps without being completely immune to them.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: November 10, 2009, 09:11:57 am »

Honestly, I'd like to see children Hammerers. Starts his training early, yanno?

Or perhaps a Child Hammerer position, for children by children.

On that note, have you made sure there are no bugs allowing children to be blamed for a failed mandate...?
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6584 on: November 10, 2009, 09:45:57 am »

Can we get a "percent chance" added to the [trAPAVOID] creature tag?

Oooh. I like this one. Down with absolute tags!
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 1065