Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636022 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6195 on: November 02, 2009, 02:47:55 pm »

Will it be possible to squeeze off somebody's head by means of their own guts? Please? As in strangling them until the head pops off.

Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows that the eyeballs pop out first, relieving the pressure.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: November 02, 2009, 03:02:08 pm »

So after a long while, we finally got a saucy update! And I love it. I can already see the floods of other dreadful bugs just looming behind the horizon, waiting to be released on the unsuspecting players... it'll be FUN!  ;D
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: November 02, 2009, 04:10:07 pm »

I saw in one of the threads over on the adventure mode section that someone had modded zombie humanoids or something like that. I forget the persons name, but its the same person who made the expanded body parts mod with individual muscles and their names and the bones.

procedural creature graphics

Like Spore maybe? :) Seriously though, Spore uses it in a different and far more complex way than is applicable for DF. I mean, Maxis took like 4 or 5 years to make it, plus they were pretty much trailblazers in using procedural animation/graphics/programming in that way. Still, it depends on what Toady wants to do with procedural graphics.

We'll have to see what horrors are created with the new random titans.

That bieng said, I'm looking forward to metallic behemoths and titans that may as well be aliens.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: November 02, 2009, 04:45:18 pm »

We are inching ever closer to me being able to strangle a king with the entrails of a priest.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6199 on: November 02, 2009, 06:23:21 pm »

New megaproject idea: make a temple to a god your dwarves worship every year, then raze it when the year ends and build a new one. Constant speed challenge! Can you pump magma and blood in one year, then water, fish, and the dawn the next year? Live out the life of a world-gen group of priests!
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6200 on: November 02, 2009, 06:28:12 pm »

The new dev post made me so happy.

I so much prefer little anecdotal stories during the dev cycle than podcasts/meetups/color-coded organizational charts...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: November 02, 2009, 06:29:52 pm »

Sounds like you are talking about a bioengineered building, or a plant.

At least deconstructing it will take between a day to a month (ingame), depending on how you built it.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: November 02, 2009, 07:14:07 pm »

...and titans that may as well be aliens.

Dwarf Fortress + H.P. Lovecraft = ;D ;D ;D

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6203 on: November 02, 2009, 07:15:19 pm »

Quote from: Toady Optimism
The goal for November is to finish off the Entity Positions and Squads entries on the list of remaining items.  A year-end release would still look difficult at that point, but at least everything remaining would essentially be loose ends and cleaning up.
\o/

hmm. There is a lack of penguins in the game.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: November 02, 2009, 07:48:33 pm »

Sounds like you are talking about a bioengineered building, or a plant.

At least deconstructing it will take between a day to a month (ingame), depending on how you built it.

WAT U SAY ???

No really, all you need to do is PULL DA LEVER.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: November 02, 2009, 08:25:42 pm »

So, after listening to the DF Talk 4 teaser, and asking this question a few times and not getting answered I figured I'd ask it here (as was suggested)
I was just curious as to how big the Dwarf Fortress code base is these days. It seems like it'd be a huge amount of code.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: November 02, 2009, 09:24:37 pm »

So, after listening to the DF Talk 4 teaser, and asking this question a few times and not getting answered I figured I'd ask it here (as was suggested)
I was just curious as to how big the Dwarf Fortress code base is these days. It seems like it'd be a huge amount of code.
footkerchief in 5...4...3...2...
Though, I'm sure it has changed a fair amount with the material rewrite.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #6207 on: November 02, 2009, 09:42:26 pm »

The goal for November is to finish off the Entity Positions and Squads entries on the list of remaining items.  A year-end release would still look difficult at that point, but at least everything remaining would essentially be loose ends and cleaning up.
\o/

There need to be Giant Cave Penguins in the next game now, especially since we already have Bat-Men.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: November 02, 2009, 10:57:36 pm »

\o/

There need to be Giant Cave Penguins in the next game now, especially since we already have Bat-Men.
i see what you did there
to add to this facade we only have giant cave swallowmen, no robins...

how about iron men?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:59:12 pm by Chronas »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: November 02, 2009, 11:00:01 pm »

footkerchief in 5...4...3...2...
Though, I'm sure it has changed a fair amount with the material rewrite.

I wasn't expecting to find anything, but that prompted me to give it a try:

Doing a search for the character ;, which ends a statement in C/C++, I get 143431 lines containing it.  This doesn't count complex conditionals or additional statements on the same line, and it does count things like "break;" and commented-out code blocks, so it's a rough estimate.

That was over two years ago though.

Okay, this got me wondering: Have the underground biomes been extended beyond the CHASM, LAVA and WATER types?  In particular, do regions/layers have varying temperatures?  It would be neat if some of the randomized creatures had thick fur to deal with the cold of their native environments (yes, I know the Earth generally just gets hotter as you go down, but it's fantasy).
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 1065