Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636317 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6165 on: November 01, 2009, 07:19:34 pm »

Is it possible for different castes of creatures to live in different biomes? For example a single 'Tiger' creature that is orange with black stripes in tropical biomes while a white with black stripes caste of the same creature lives in taiga and temperate forests.

Nope, biomes are one of the few tags that only operate at the creature level:

The number of tokens that are creature rather than caste specific is very small.  Creatures handle the overall name, biome, whether the creature is considered fanciful/doesn't exist (for art), vermin information (so, no, Fault, sorry!... too much depends on that right now), whether groups hang together closely, whether it is mundane (from real Earth for age name purposes), population information including good/evil/savage, if it is equipment, sphere information (not sure how long that'll last, but there were annoyances), and that looks like it (they also have some general categories that have caste overrides, like child names and speeches for adv mode).  Everything else, including body information, is held in the castes.

Also, will we be seeing melanistic leopards and jaguars ('black panthers') in the next version or will we have to mod that in ourselves?

"Updated about a third of the creatures, including all of the gibbons. I'm not doing anything super accurate with color/patterns for them this time around, as that would take too long."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: November 01, 2009, 07:35:53 pm »

Yea, nearly all of the military ones will be obsolete, the phantom limb thing has been fixed and alot of the feature related ones may be obsolete.

However, this one "# 000334 □ [dwarf mode][justice]   hammerer uses mouth when unable to carry hammer, carries around severed limbs in mouth for years" should stay :) makes things more fun.

Also, I thought the fish leather thing was normal since I've seen migrant dwarves with fish leather clothes.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: November 01, 2009, 07:39:42 pm »

Sometimes though the human civs will come up with a racist sounding name such as the white league. I know its just a game and the RNG has no concept of racism, so its really nobodys fault.

There's definetly worse names that the RNG has tossed out though.
What's wrong with having racist civilisations in game?  Firstly, a name with the word "White" in it is not automatially racist, it could refer to a hundred other things.  And if it is, racist entities in a fictional world say nothing about the racism of that world's creator (although they can certainly be used as a platform for that, but that's not happening here).  Additionally, racism is an excellent motivator for conflict, and should if anything be encouraged as a possibly value set as civilisations become more sphere-aligned.  Lastly, almost all civilisations throughout history have at some time or another acted in a strongly nationalistic bigoted way - be it religious, ethnic or some other form of discrimination.  Not modelling that out of some misplaced ethical sense would be silly - we're talking about a world where mass murder is the norm.

Sorry to jump on you for this, but "the r word" is thrown about pretty senselessly some times.  Let's not let that real-world stuff derail the thread, though.   

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: November 01, 2009, 08:28:41 pm »

I wasn't trying to imply anything, just mentioning that the name seemed like that to me, although I know its not automatically racist. Its just the two words together that seemed that way.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: November 01, 2009, 08:36:43 pm »

Also, I thought the fish leather thing was normal since I've seen migrant dwarves with fish leather clothes.

It's a very widespread bug.  It's regarded as a bug, I think, because you can't make leather from fish skin -- although making leather from cartilaginous fish is well precedented (one site mentioned it was used in Japan in the 8th century).  Although... huh.  Apparently Native Americans were making leather products from fish skin 2000 years ago.  So maybe fish leather should stay in, at least for some uses?  It sounds like it was sufficiently distinct, as a technology, from normal leatherworking that it remained unknown (or maybe just not useful) to many civilizations.  Needs more research, but I can't find the original text for the "Ingram & Dixon" these works are citing.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: November 01, 2009, 08:43:54 pm »

Just what we need - another great dwarf profession for immigrants: "Novice Fish Leathermaker"

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: November 01, 2009, 09:02:34 pm »

Don't think there would be racism in DF. If your white then why hate the blacks when you can team up and hate the greens, so speciesicsm.

"Fu**ing Goblins coming over here and stealing our babies."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: November 01, 2009, 09:09:40 pm »

Don't think there would be racism in DF. If your white then why hate the blacks when you can team up and hate the greens, so speciesicsm.

"Fu**ing Goblins coming over here and stealing our babies."

Let's let this ill-fated tangent die, please.  Narmio, if you have to say things like "sorry" and "let's not let that real-world stuff derail the thread," stop and think.  I know it's not exactly what you meant, but the flipside of what you said is "let me have my say and don't argue."

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: November 02, 2009, 12:27:05 am »

Yeah, I don't think that particular can of worms is suited to the FoF thread, unless it's a simple question for Toady. And even then, I wouldn't necessarily expect an answer.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: November 02, 2009, 03:44:36 am »

Sometimes though the human civs will come up with a racist sounding name such as the white league.

That's not necessarily referring to race. Gandalf and friends were known as the White Council, for instance.

Also, according to wikipedia, the use of "white" to refer to a "white race" only began in the late 1600s, placing it outside the scope of this game.  ;D

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: November 02, 2009, 07:04:42 am »

Sorry I brought the whole thing up, lol ><

Anyways yea lets get off this tangent as its going to lead nowhere.

I've been thinking, you know those forces of nature that elves worship? I think those are actually precursors to the new titans, some of them at least.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: November 02, 2009, 10:11:27 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Ha ha, I haven't been to an adventure mode town for a very long time. There just hasn't been cause for it during all of these other changes. After I did the temple greeting update, I thought I'd be able to green out a few more items today. Instead, during testing, well, there were no temples, because there were no buildings, just a town with about 100 priests of different denominations standing in an otherwise empty clearing. It turns out they'd been razing their own temples each year and then starting new religions, leaving the old priests behind, and on top of that the game no longer knew how to place buildings because it thought there were too many overlaps with the new cave features.

Once all that was fixed, the priests disappeared entirely, but the game still registered the religions as having them. When I checked out an example, the guy had been a tiger hunter all his life, which ended when one of the hunts went horribly wrong. The following year, he was appointed a priest. No wonder my adventurer couldn't find him. After that was handled, I finally found a priest hanging out at a temple, and he greeted me properly.

Honestly, this kinda stuff is why I friggin' love Dwarf Fortress.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #6177 on: November 02, 2009, 11:17:30 am »

Sounds awesome!
I can't wait to run around like a nut case in the new version.

Priest will be like:
"Why are you doing these things?!!?!"
And I'll beat him in the face with a severed limb, cut open his stomach, and wrestle with his guts.

Sorry Toady, we all have pent up rage in us, and your game is a great medium of release.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: November 02, 2009, 11:51:47 am »

Will it be possible to squeeze off somebody's head by means of their own guts? Please? As in strangling them until the head pops off.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: November 02, 2009, 11:56:09 am »

Toady has stated before that the only wrestling maneuver you can perform with guts right now is to pinch them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 1065