Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636314 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6120 on: October 29, 2009, 11:28:56 pm »

See also: steam engine from roman times. As I'm sure most people already heard of. though, it was just a party trick, sort of like those lightning balls now, I think.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: October 30, 2009, 12:16:19 am »

Before the steam power discussion gets too much momentum:

Quote from: DF Talk 2
Toady:   Yeah, I think one of the things that's going to even improve sieges better before we worry about the rest of the stuff is when they start recruiting beasts and having guys come in riding dragons and stuff. That should cause some shaking up of the status quo as far as sieges being silly ... I'm not sure about airships, they're reasonable enough themselves, having things floating around ... the less steam the better though, as far as I'm concerned, steampunk and all that kind of thing, and electricity and nuclear bombs, I don't know what else people ...

Toady:   I guess you could make ... if there's ever some kind of gunpowder explosive I guess you could just stick a bunch of uranium on an explosive and have a really bad dirty bomb. But who knows? I think what I've said before is [that] gunpowder is probably something that's not going to be necessarily in the vanilla Dwarf Fortress, but it's something that I'd probably support for modders. But things like electricity and steam power are less likely to be supported. Although lightning is lightning, lightning's a different matter.

Toady:   Yeah, they had all kinds of steam automatons, right? I remember ... no I won that game, I think, if you're talking about the big statue at the end. So there's a notion of dwarves there, just ... there's something about steam [that] bothers me, I don't know why. Having all these steam powered ...

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: October 30, 2009, 12:21:23 am »

the way I see it there are two possible ways to implement steam power, one good and one not good for vanilla (although modders could implement if they like)   The bad way is to have a "steam furnace" which eats coal and puts out power, or a steam automaton which is just a weird creature, or whatever.

the good way is to simulate pressure and heating accurately, and let nature take its course.  Let people heat water in confined spaces to do things, make them dig their pipes out and make it all a natural side effect of better physics. 

The difference is like the difference between letting a dwarf craft a "computer" in a workshop and digging out fluid logic gates

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: October 30, 2009, 12:45:37 am »

the way I see it there are two possible ways to implement steam power, one good and one not good for vanilla (although modders could implement if they like)   The bad way is to have a "steam furnace" which eats coal and puts out power, or a steam automaton which is just a weird creature, or whatever.

the good way is to simulate pressure and heating accurately, and let nature take its course.  Let people heat water in confined spaces to do things, make them dig their pipes out and make it all a natural side effect of better physics. 

The difference is like the difference between letting a dwarf craft a "computer" in a workshop and digging out fluid logic gates

If you made a workshop that can convert airflow into power, that'd work.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: October 30, 2009, 12:49:44 am »

If you made a workshop that can convert airflow into power, that'd work.

We have those already.  Well, not workshops per se.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #6125 on: October 30, 2009, 01:14:42 am »

I've searched around a bit, found many references to it, but no description.  What is the lignite-in-a-bin trick?

My imagination says that I somehow put a piece of somehow-burning lignite into a bin, and throw the bin into the sea, and this boils a hole in the sea.  Or what?

You want the "Stupid coal tricks" thread.

Thanks.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: October 30, 2009, 04:14:52 am »

Missile weapons will no longer be quite as ridiculous, and I think things like socks and coins will no longer be valid weapons in most circumstances.

Socks and coins are totally valid weapons. Pour the coins into the sock, grasp the sock by the top, and swing hard.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: October 30, 2009, 07:21:15 am »

Missile weapons will no longer be quite as ridiculous, and I think things like socks and coins will no longer be valid weapons in most circumstances.

Socks and coins are totally valid weapons. Pour the coins into the sock, grasp the sock by the top, and swing hard.

I for one am happy it will no longer be possible to behead a titan with a handfull of sand. (or a fistful of yen) XD
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: October 30, 2009, 08:18:56 am »

Another greened-out entry.  Whoo-hoo!  :D
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: October 30, 2009, 08:39:46 am »

I wonder if Toady will next make liasons be replaced when they die of old age or accidentially. In my current game, the dwarven liason is superdwarvenly tough, perfectly agile, and mighty, so she could probably just outrun an ambush, heck, she even had at least two run ins with a cyclops and escaped, without injury!. But she is 143 or so years old. She may have at least three decades before she dies, or it could be 7 years.

I really wish that liasons currently do get replaced, heh.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:41:42 am by smjjames »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: October 30, 2009, 09:37:54 am »

positions and such stuff have been revamped, so probably this has been fixed yeah.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Konpeito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: October 30, 2009, 12:18:45 pm »

Zenigata Heiji concurs with your assessment of coins as weaponry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: October 30, 2009, 12:39:37 pm »

Another greened-out entry.  Whoo-hoo!  :D

At last!  I guess this item:

Quote from: smjjames
Oh yea, what is the cave diggers thing all about? I thought digging creatures weren't really implemented in this release?

Right now (40d), mining entities expand their site sizes over world gen years, and that impacted their generated size.  It's not crucial, but there are a few things I need to look at there regardless, with how the caves are expanded out.  It shouldn't be super long when I get to it.

ended up being super long after all.  That or he snuck in a bunch of general underground work.

I wonder if Toady will next make liasons be replaced when they die of old age or accidentially. In my current game, the dwarven liason is superdwarvenly tough, perfectly agile, and mighty, so she could probably just outrun an ambush, heck, she even had at least two run ins with a cyclops and escaped, without injury!. But she is 143 or so years old. She may have at least three decades before she dies, or it could be 7 years.

I really wish that liasons currently do get replaced, heh.

This is about monarchs, but I think the succession issues are the same in both cases:

Quote from: BloodBeard
Will how kings and queens come to power be changed to reflect actual monarchies? Like when a king or queen dies, their oldest child or the nearest of kin becomes the new monarch.

This already happens in world generation.  In-game succession is a slightly harder problem that is up on dev_next.  It might get a placeholder sooner than that but I can't guarantee anything.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: October 30, 2009, 01:31:44 pm »

We are getting soo close to release

My Guess for the release date is February

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: October 30, 2009, 01:46:29 pm »

So, if I let a bit of world gen time go by (say, in adventure mode), a new liason will be appointed?

I was talking about while ingame though.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 1065