Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636415 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6090 on: October 28, 2009, 04:52:40 am »

It's the only explanation i can come up with for things that boil at very low temperatures instantly freezing dwarves; logically the things in question should be steam at room temperature and thus harmless to dwarves, yet instead it instantly causes dwarves (and other animals) to be frozen.

I can't think of any other explanation other than 'materials cannot get hotter than their boiling temperature.'

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #6091 on: October 28, 2009, 05:56:25 am »

The way I understand the temperature system, each square/cube has a temperature that is simulated and which causes objects to have phase transitions, but the actual objects do not have temperatures associated with them, which is why it has to use the boiling temperature for the gaseous form.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: October 28, 2009, 05:59:03 am »

Creatures have temperatures associated with them, i'd assume objects do to.

Although it's possible they don't to save on CPU. Doesn't really explain why the temperature in a square goes down to the temperature of the boiling object and then goes back up again after the boiling material has gone way.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: October 28, 2009, 07:23:02 am »

I guess that when a phase transition occurs the blob or cloud of material is assigned the exact temperature of phase transition (which is reasonable from a physicist's point of view) and then is farther heated or cooled down by interacting with environment using its heat capacity. What is currently missing, I believe, is heat required to carry out the transition from one state to the other. As was already pointed out most damage from steam is not really from its temperature but from the heat when it condensates on bodies.

Ultra-cold gas abnormalities happen because having normal gas heat capacity it requires lots of heat to get to room temperature and it is not compensated by making it emit adequate amount of heat in the transition. Animal leather gases are exotic in that they have enormous amounts of internal energy at room temperature. A solid object that is much hotter then its boiling temperature should have great amounts of internal pressure and be deadly anyway.

Laiska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: October 28, 2009, 08:55:59 am »

Now with the ladders incoming, giving the different nature of these constructions i see more fun.
Huge dark cavern with a newly crafted *kitten-skin-rope-ladder menacing with picture of kitten. kitten is adopting a dwarf.* hanging 5 floors from top to bottom. Several dwarfs climb it upward carrying spoils of newly discovered lead vein, when the 1st one gets struck by a strange mood, drops the stone of lead and rushes upward babbling. 2nd on on line is struck unconsious of the falling rock, releasing the grip, and the rocks and dwarfs fall in perfect silence.
This is a stack of 21 well-prepared creeping eye intestines roast. The ingredients are well-minced prepared creeping eye heart, minced creeping eye meat, minced creeping eye meat and minced prepared creeping eye intestines.

... Could i have some wine with that?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: October 28, 2009, 09:13:59 am »

As far as we know, Toady has only said that the rope ladder thing is still bieng considered. I'm sure he is aware that the community is mainly willing to accept a hacked together placeholder and that it is pretty important to the way the new stuff is.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: October 28, 2009, 12:33:23 pm »

I don't think it came up in this round of discussions, but rope ladders also present special problems regarding who/what should be able to climb them.  As a result, proper rope ladders are completely out of the question for this release. 

Yeah, it's a bit odd to build staircases from above, though it's unclear what will happen in the end.  If I do add ropes, all critters will probably be able to use them, because I don't have more control over path-finding.  Hopefully that will change at some point, but it's not as urgent a concern as being able to get down into open spaces, which will be a pressing matter for this release.

It's more of a technical matter.  I know how to check for grasps, etc., but it doesn't matter.  There will be catastrophic lag if animals can't climb ropes, since the game can't handle path restrictions that don't affect everybody (locked doors, etc.), once you are down to dwarf-style movement.  The sorts of general, sweeping pathfinding rewrites which will need to happen eventually but which are incredibly time-consuming are the only fix here.

It was actually a bit depressing looking over that previous discussion -- I don't think anything new got mentioned this time around.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: October 28, 2009, 01:06:07 pm »

I guess that when a phase transition occurs the blob or cloud of material is assigned the exact temperature of phase transition (which is reasonable from a physicist's point of view) and then is farther heated or cooled down by interacting with environment using its heat capacity. What is currently missing, I believe, is heat required to carry out the transition from one state to the other. As was already pointed out most damage from steam is not really from its temperature but from the heat when it condensates on bodies.

Ultra-cold gas abnormalities happen because having normal gas heat capacity it requires lots of heat to get to room temperature and it is not compensated by making it emit adequate amount of heat in the transition. Animal leather gases are exotic in that they have enormous amounts of internal energy at room temperature. A solid object that is much hotter then its boiling temperature should have great amounts of internal pressure and be deadly anyway.
Um... how would you get a solid object hotter than its melting point, much less its boiling point? Doesn't it, well, melt and boil at that point?

One issue is that changing the raws creates physically impossible situations. Another is that melting and boiling seem to happen instantly. Certainly putting buckets of ice in a room will reduce the temperature of the room. It just won't happen instantly, nor will melting ice ever reduce the temperature of the room to the melting point of the ice. (You can't make something that is currently hotter than you colder than you, or vice versa.)

And refrigeration systems more advanced than mining ice are beyond the technology barrier. Also: usefull steam power dates from the late 1600's.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6098 on: October 28, 2009, 01:16:09 pm »

And refrigeration systems more advanced than mining ice are beyond the technology barrier. Also: usefull steam power dates from the late 1600's.

While this may be a strong argument against coding it first, the physics (and thus game engine mechanics) aren't something that suddenly worked after it(steam, gunpowder, etc) was invented.

Also, evaporative cooling, very old.

SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: October 28, 2009, 01:58:57 pm »

Um... how would you get a solid object hotter than its melting point, much less its boiling point? Doesn't it, well, melt and boil at that point?
Under standard circumstances, yes.
However, by increasing the ambient pressure, the boilingpoint rises too. So the first poster is right: a solid above it's boilingpoint (standardised conditions) will be unstable and prone to sudden phase transition. Not that this will occur very often.
Example: 'boiling retardation' in water, as when heating water in a microwave. I guess the mechanism here is surface tension boosted by hydrogenbonds that supresses evaporation nuclei from forming and thus boiling to occur.
Another water example of pressure influence on EP is boiling water in airplanes vs submersibles.  Lower pressure == lower boilingpoint , higher pressure == higher boilingpoints.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: October 28, 2009, 09:17:22 pm »

You can also heat the vapours themselves beyond boiling point; alot of steam cookers use superheated steam to cook things (which is why they cook so fast.)

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: October 29, 2009, 12:48:19 am »

I spent a long time looking at all the stuff about the materials rewrite merely thinking that is was, while cool, a fairly massive expenditure of effort for very little gain to the player. Then it hit me. This is not some example of coding pedantry, but a critical step towards making it possible to weaponize a quantum dump. Imagine if you will a single tile chamber at the bottom of a shaft, surrounded by a constantly flowing stream of fresh magma transferring heat through the walls. As objects are thrown down, the intense heat will melt most of them, whereupon a screw pump forces the resultant fluid into a second heated chamber full of similar fluids. Due to the intense pressure of so many molten-hot objects in the chamber, it should be a relatively simple matter to violently evaporate/sublimate the entire mass by dropping a floodgate, burning any goblins in your entryway to a cinder and repainting the room with the awesome power of Dwarven Recycling.

This is my vision of Version One.

I would also greatly enjoy being able to apply metal leaf to the walls and floors of rooms by a similar process.
... and then it explodes!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: October 29, 2009, 04:24:44 am »

I wonder what's gonna happen with the current "lignite-in-a-bin" trick after all the changes?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: October 29, 2009, 09:06:47 am »

I wonder what's gonna happen with the current "lignite-in-a-bin" trick after all the changes?

I think that has more to do with the bin's "shielding" of the block, but we'll see.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: October 29, 2009, 09:08:08 am »

Off topic:

I like your current avatar, Foot.

Brad Neely is the man.  So is Babycakes.
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 1065