Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636564 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6075 on: October 26, 2009, 09:21:08 pm »

Do the edges of the map provide support in the current version? If not, are there any protections against the cave-in of the entire surface on small maps with the new cavern systems? While funny, I can see this being a major problem for players, especially if encountered in adventure mode.

It does seem possible that an entire fortress area square may be generated without any connection to the ground, thus causing insta-death of the embark crew and everything underneath. So I greened this.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: October 26, 2009, 10:07:47 pm »

I don't think that the idea of Toady allowing building stairs downwards would really be a end-all solution. IIRC, one of the main selling points of the rope ladder was that stairs are currently not removed from above. So digging a shaft will always leave an ugly bit off to the side or something when using stairs.

Besides, using rope ladders to explore caverns is just so much more awesome.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: October 26, 2009, 10:13:44 pm »

I don't think that the idea of Toady allowing building stairs downwards would really be a end-all solution.

It's only being discussed as a "short-term fix," as far as I can tell.  Rope/chain ladders are definitely much cooler.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: October 26, 2009, 10:24:29 pm »

Ya, it'd be a quickfix (and make alot of sense) until multi-tile and multi-z-level constructions are implimented.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: October 27, 2009, 12:47:33 am »

I hope the next version will make the dump designation more forceful. 

I can't stand there being socks and pants lying around everywhere. 

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: October 27, 2009, 01:59:59 am »

Those undumpable ones generally belong to your military dwarves, having been cast off when they received an armour upgrade. You can undraft them, and then redraft them wherever you want their clothes to fall (e.g. somewhere you can drop magma). Unless they're elites of course. And occasionally I see dead dwarves' clothes hanging around, which is annoying. But if you're ready to invest a lot of time, you can set them all on fire where they lie with some magma piping.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: October 27, 2009, 02:05:53 am »

I hope the next version will make the dump designation more forceful. 

I can't stand there being socks and pants lying around everywhere. 

The underlying problem, which Dante explained above, stands a good chance of being fixed in the next version, since the way soldiers/guards handle their equipment is getting a massive overhaul.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: October 27, 2009, 02:27:23 am »

Oh, on a related note, are negative thoughts from rotting clothing going back in, too? Maybe balanced against positive thoughts for spiffy new duds?

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: October 27, 2009, 11:51:01 am »

We should kill two birds with one stone and make it possible to make rope ladders out of tied-together clothing

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: October 27, 2009, 11:53:30 am »

Those undumpable ones generally belong to your military dwarves,
to me it seems like the cast-offs of anyone who spies a sock from a dead caravan guard, or just off a tradesman.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Konpeito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: October 28, 2009, 12:04:52 am »

I don't know if this has been asked before, but a search didn't turn anything up, so I'll ask it here.

Will steam be dangerous again in the new version?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: October 28, 2009, 04:13:20 am »

I don't know if this has been asked before, but a search didn't turn anything up, so I'll ask it here.

Will steam be dangerous again in the new version?

Quote from: Karlito
So, now that we've got proper material temp handling, will we see steam come back as a possible weapon source?

It's different, certainly, but I'm not really sure.  The main problem in the new versions has always been the contact time and that the temperature difference between steam and flesh is very small (compared to say boiling metal).  If the gas can condense and settle as a hot contaminant you'd have the highest chance of getting something to happen I think, and those items are still outstanding on the list, I believe ("Handle a few material contaminant issues" has a temperature-related item anyway, and some quibbles with mat state).

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: October 28, 2009, 04:18:47 am »

We should kill two birds with one stone and make it possible to make rope ladders out of tied-together clothing

Hell no. Would you want to climb a ladder made entirely out of soldier's discarded underpants and socks?

Obviously the ladders should be made out of something most forts have in plentiful supply. Kittens.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: October 28, 2009, 04:19:29 am »

In order for steam to be deadly though, Toady would need to introduce superheating, which doesn't existi n the game yet (it's impossible for a material to go above it's boiling temperature.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: October 28, 2009, 04:33:55 am »

In order for steam to be deadly though, Toady would need to introduce superheating, which doesn't existi n the game yet (it's impossible for a material to go above it's boiling temperature.)

Really?  Huh, I guess tracking temperatures on gas clouds could be problematic.  Was this confirmed at some point?
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 1065