Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636833 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6045 on: October 26, 2009, 05:11:00 am »

There's a quote in someone's sig to the effect of
DF Community: thinking of solutions to problems that have yet to be implemented.
So yeah, it's a good community. This reminds me - I gotta fix my laptop so I can get some work done on Fort Knox.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: October 26, 2009, 07:37:15 am »

Hang on. If cubic centimeters are entering DF for creature size, and it's related to weight, how does this translate to the rest of the game? Working backward from creature weights in-game, would it be possible to gauge the RL weight of objects measured in Dwarfpounds?

It's just the first cute, innocent-looking little worm poking its head out of the can.

Yep, a can of worms the size of Australia. With some worms maybe bieng the size of Shai-Hulud (Dune reference again).

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: October 26, 2009, 07:44:15 am »

Hang on. If cubic centimeters are entering DF for creature size, and it's related to weight, how does this translate to the rest of the game? Working backward from creature weights in-game, would it be possible to gauge the RL weight of objects measured in Dwarfpounds?

It's just the first cute, innocent-looking little worm poking its head out of the can.

Yep, a can of worms the size of Australia. With some worms maybe bieng the size of Shai-Hulud (Dune reference again).

The Middle East Peace Process

Introducing discrete sizes to Dwarf Fortress physics - Aren't they just adorable?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: October 26, 2009, 07:52:25 am »

≈≈≈
≈≈≈
≈≈≈

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: October 26, 2009, 08:29:14 am »

I really wasn't trying to make a reference to the middle east peace proccess (despite the Fremen obviously bieng of largely Arab descent).

Anyways, the second one sort of looks like that klingon dish which was suppoused to be live worms or grubs or something.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: October 26, 2009, 08:40:20 am »

I really wasn't trying to make a reference to the middle east peace proccess (despite the Fremen obviously bieng of largely Arab descent).

I think somebody's reading too much into something.  That was just the first thing I thought of for "can of worms".
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: October 26, 2009, 09:28:16 am »

I was kind of rambling on a bit.

Still, Frank Herbert kind incorporated the Arab Muslim stereotype (which I don't believe as not all muslims are the violent/religious jhadist type) into the culture in the book and 10,000+ years of migration, etc would certainly mix genes all over the place, so, in reality, they would have a whole mix of geneotypes. Just for reference, he wrote the origional series in the late 70s and the 1980's.

Anyways, now how to re-rail this.......

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6052 on: October 26, 2009, 10:21:06 am »

Page 404, release not found :)

Hey, 60,000 cc for a dwarf. Metric measures! Does this mean that dwarfenheit (degrees Urist, etc.) will become Kelvin?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: October 26, 2009, 11:35:40 am »

Quote from: Toady
It's still white, so I haven't done the consider part yet.  The main hurdle is the multi-z nature of such things, since all buildings currently reside on a single z level and the ramifications of that are quite pervasive, so there is quite a temptation to flub at this point, rather than engage in what could be a relatively long rewrite.

Wait, why would rope ladders be buildings?  I figured they'd work more like stairs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: October 26, 2009, 11:39:39 am »

Wait, why would rope ladders be buildings?  I figured they'd work more like stairs

Stairs are also buildings arn't they? At least as far as the game is concerned.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: October 26, 2009, 12:10:06 pm »

Hey, 60,000 cc for a dwarf. Metric measures! Does this mean that dwarfenheit (degrees Urist, etc.) will become Kelvin?

I read somewhere that they're already celsius/kelvin, but with a big offset for sub-absolute-zero (i.e. fantastically cold) temperatures.

Wait, why would rope ladders be buildings?  I figured they'd work more like stairs

Stairs are also buildings arn't they? At least as far as the game is concerned.

Stairs (both dug and constructed) are just tile types.  A building is something you can examine with 'q'.  Conceptually though, a rope ladder would be kind of an odd mix of the two, since it would be built like a restraint (chain/rope) building, but used like a set of stairs.  Judging from what Toady said, though, the larger problem is allowing buildings to span z-levels:

Quote from: smjjames
Toady, I know you don't want to spoil the underground stuff, but could you at least let us know about the rope ladder type thing? As that is well known and probably important (if not critical) for the cavern stuff.

It's still white, so I haven't done the consider part yet.  The main hurdle is the multi-z nature of such things, since all buildings currently reside on a single z level and the ramifications of that are quite pervasive, so there is quite a temptation to flub at this point, rather than engage in what could be a relatively long rewrite.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: October 26, 2009, 01:01:02 pm »

I read somewhere that they're already celsius/kelvin, but with a big offset for sub-absolute-zero (i.e. fantastically cold) temperatures.

According to the wiki, it's actually fahrenheit with an offset of +9968. And yeah, the offset is so huge to allow for a big fudge factor when magical effects and such come into play.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: October 26, 2009, 01:57:06 pm »

Wouldn't it have been easier just to allow negative (below absolute zero) temperatures?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: October 26, 2009, 02:07:21 pm »

That's the exact same thing. The DF temperature scale DOES allow for temperatures below absolute zero by setting the zero point lower than it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: October 26, 2009, 02:08:20 pm »

Wouldn't it have been easier just to allow negative (below absolute zero) temperatures?

No, as that's already used for really hot things.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 1065