Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627370 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5760 on: October 16, 2009, 09:21:40 am »

I actually have a question unrelated to HFS that regards the new body raws, and is related to the potential hard-coding of hair-styles.

Will it be possible at some point to designate styles and colors for things other than hair? For example, I came up with a race of lizardmen divided into castes depending on the color of their scales, and also carved rank-markings into their horns, or a race of bird men based on tropical birds, with varieties of wing colors and styles to match birds of paradise.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 09:23:35 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #5761 on: October 16, 2009, 11:36:56 am »

Ugg I am wracking up questions like no tommorow... but I really want to ask this one

Questions for Toady in spoiler (I am not sure if it needs one but JIC)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ugh, what is this 4-6 questions so far... I am not very happy with myself right now.  :'(

spoiler: DF talk #3 spoilers.

Suggestive (not that way) question: Will we ever get paints/mozaic tiles where we can paint walls and ceilings a colour independant of the base material? It'd be awesome to not have to hope for stones of all colours in enough quanitities to do images.

I've plenty of mods that add things like coloured glass, which is all well and good, until your nobles demand ONLY blue glass. Could mandates be less specific sometimes (glass object, rather than specific type of glass object, or specific colour of glass object)?

SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: October 16, 2009, 11:45:58 am »

The Pantheon for those spheres:

Awesome.
Seconded.

Also, maried megabeats could come in pairs, or have one male and one female side?

Wow, that sounds absolutely awesome. I'm not sure I even second it 100% because I think Toady might have thought up something even better, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if something like this was implemented!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: October 16, 2009, 11:52:45 am »

Ugg I am wracking up questions like no tommorow... but I really want to ask this one

Ugh, what is this 4-6 questions so far... I am not very happy with myself right now.  :'(

spoiler: DF talk #3 spoilers.

Suggestive (not that way) question: Will we ever get paints/mozaic tiles where we can paint walls and ceilings a colour independant of the base material? It'd be awesome to not have to hope for stones of all colours in enough quanitities to do images.

I've plenty of mods that add things like coloured glass, which is all well and good, until your nobles demand ONLY blue glass. Could mandates be less specific sometimes (glass object, rather than specific type of glass object, or specific colour of glass object)?

gneh, I'm even more anxious for the transcript!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #5764 on: October 16, 2009, 12:14:00 pm »

The only sad part about the transcript is you'll loose his cat-talking-to voice :(
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: October 16, 2009, 12:26:35 pm »

Spherical associations are done by region, and underground areas have their own regions:

Quote from: Heph
Will the naming be z-axis-sensitiv? To illustrate this: Can be under the "plains of fire" the "caves of stone" under which in turn are the "Deeps of slaughtering" and the "cave of the dead borgle"?

Each cave layer region, which is a certain depth and a certain portion of the world map, gets an associated name and creature populations and civs and so on, and this should show up in the legends screen.  It's planned to allow you to name them instead of just giving everything names (that should be true of undiscovered above ground features as well), but I'm not sure if that's going to happen this time or not.  Lots of things to do.

So yes, once the regional spheres on dev_next go in, they'll have the associations.  Although funhouses in the current version are already sphere-linked, so it wouldn't be surprising if the, uh, amusement parks in the new underground get their spheres now, before the aboveground regions do.

Will it be possible at some point to designate styles and colors for things other than hair? For example, I came up with a race of lizardmen divided into castes depending on the color of their scales, and also carved rank-markings into their horns, or a race of bird men based on tropical birds, with varieties of wing colors and styles to match birds of paradise.

The colors part is already in.  Colors and color patterns work on any tissue layer.

# Bloat165, WALL HANGINGS AND RUGS, (Future): Rugs, tapestries, paintings, etc. This leads to things like paint and pigments. The player's skin could hang in the goblin fortress in the same way. It could even be improved like dwarf items. Requires Core43.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: October 16, 2009, 02:53:25 pm »

he'd have to specify n! different things. Which is a LOT.

Not quite that bad.  You're having permutations on all those spheres.  You have an arithmetic relationship, not geometric, so it's actually 1+2+3+...+n, which is (n^2+n)/2

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: October 16, 2009, 03:17:56 pm »

I was thinking about the swamp-water grime mentioned in DF Talk 3, and it occurred to me that, while having grime on your skin should certainly raise the chance of an infection, getting gunk inside wounds should be even worse.  Does the game have any notion of grime getting inside wounds, or just a general grime level?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:24:26 pm by Footkerchief »

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: October 16, 2009, 03:20:27 pm »

Isn't that the full extent of what grime does?  I didn't think it did anything else...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: October 16, 2009, 03:26:44 pm »

As far as I can tell, it accumulates on your body as a whole and that's enough to make infection more likely.  I don't it's been mentioned whether grime or proper contaminants can actually get inside the wound in any sense.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:25:21 pm by Footkerchief »

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: October 16, 2009, 04:07:55 pm »

Grr, I'm a little late for the opposing spheres discussion, but..."life-flowers-death" made me think of the Shishigami in Mononoke Hime, the way it takes a step and plants grow and bloom around its feet, and then they wither and die as it lifts its foot away.

Right at the beginning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iMLDFqhG8Y

Throughout the movie it's a great example of a creature embodying both life and death - I think Today actually mentioned the movie when he was talking about ideas for the new titans in one of the dwarfcasts.

I was running a D&D campaign recently with a custom pantheon designed to be rather different from usual:

So instead of like a chaos god or a fire god there was a god of alignment and a god of elements. Plus you could mix and match, so for example we had a traveling healer who followed the Red aspect of the Horse.

I think it ended up confusing the players, though.  :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: October 16, 2009, 06:50:14 pm »

At this point I am wondering if we will see Lesser Foci Spirits.

Though there are a few things we havn't got up to yes that seem like it is going to happen soon such as introducing Chimera proper.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: October 16, 2009, 07:04:06 pm »

At this point I am wondering if we will see Lesser Foci Spirits.

Though there are a few things we havn't got up to yes that seem like it is going to happen soon such as introducing Chimera proper.
Chimeras are in the raws, just like wizards and griffons. They're all (supposedly) not anywhere though, just in images, etc.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: October 16, 2009, 07:17:55 pm »

Hense why I said "Proper"

Which the reason I assume they arn't in, unless Toady wants to somehow simulate mythical creatures, is because they are placeholders for later. Namely creature randomisation.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: October 16, 2009, 08:34:25 pm »

(Centaurs, too.) Sounds likely...as all seem to be...chimeric. (Except for ◄WIZARDS►, out 'til magic, certainly) Which is mostly in line with the whole random thing.

Do we have Pterrippi in the game? (sing: Pterripus. Best known example: Pegasus, the Pterippus.)

Still might be nice to ha'e a few of the stock versions of these.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 1065