Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627408 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5685 on: October 14, 2009, 03:47:44 am »

Acid is out, but contact poison is in, and that seems like it'd be close enough to work.
I dunno. Sounds like poison effects are systemic.

Materials acting on just what they're in contact with would be quite nice.

Materials that do damage on contact? Would be strange, possibly broken, possibly quite interesting and Fun.

Else, I imagine a distant time when redox reactions are simulated properly, so you stud your masterwork armory with sacrificial anodes...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: October 14, 2009, 03:56:04 am »

Well you could do 'contact damage' stuff just by having material that is really hot or cold.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: October 14, 2009, 03:59:43 am »

Acid is out, but contact poison is in, and that seems like it'd be close enough to work.
I dunno. Sounds like poison effects are systemic.

Materials acting on just what they're in contact with would be quite nice.

Materials that do damage on contact? Would be strange, possibly broken, possibly quite interesting and Fun.

Nope, they aren't necessarily systemic (although inhalations probably are):

Quote from: dev log
02/02/2009: I decided to take a detour into poison land today. The framework should be easily extended to other material effects and to some non-material effects on creatures as well later on (for instance, alcohol effects or ointments that do whatever, as well as auras around creatures, 'gaze attacks', etc etc), but for now, I'm going to go with contact/injected/inhaled poisons that cause syndromes in affected classes of creatures involving pain, swelling, oozing wounds, bruising, blisters, numbness, paralysis, fever, bleeding, coughing/vomiting blood, nausea, vomiting, unconsciousness, necrosis, impaired vision, drowsiness and dizziness as a starter set, with some possible extensions as they arise. If it makes sense, you'll be able to move those effects around from the initial site (for say contact or injection) to body parts by category/function (so you could have something cause headaches, for example, or make the gums bleed... one of the wikipedia snakes had that... not my fault).

Also, materials that do damage on contact are totally feasible.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: October 14, 2009, 05:02:36 am »

Ah, thanks for the toadyquote.
Also, materials that do damage on contact are totally feasible.

I mean, to ANY material they come in contact with. (I realise that environmental damage does not yet exist, but if you had a material that didn't take damage for doing the damage( i.e. acid using up its ions) then if something were strong enough it'd just dig a hole straight to HFS.(The Fun case. in 40d, wouldn't happen because Adamantine would probably not take damage.)

For armor, if you had a layer beneath somehow resistant to that type, you damage whate'er hits you some, and whate'er grabs you a LOT. Interesting/broken. Gauntlets, you get to start the grab yourself! Weapons slightly less effecti'e. Bolts- quite nice, since they usually stuckin, damage mounting up.

Build a road of pure Destructium (Or, really poison-mat- this is sounding quite appealing now) and watch the visitors melt into the paving stones! Though, how you keep from getting the road-drops-into-Hidden Fun from happening, I'm not sure.

Thinking on it, some of this just plain applies for solid poison-mats, doesn't it?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: October 14, 2009, 05:09:13 am »

So what would happen to a creature that has freezing nails/claws, would it be immune for it's own bodyparts or would the cold first freeze its digits, then paws/hands, then underarms, etc. leading to eventual death.
Considering that the freezing mat tag probably has an infinite amount of 'coldness'.
(as opposed to conservation of energy laws, in which [amount of mat1] * [temp1] evens out with [amount of mat2] * [temp2] eventually. resulting in only numb fingers and normal nails. :()
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: October 14, 2009, 09:55:39 am »

Bodypart and nothing-at-all is already supported in 40d- SuperKobolds!

For the HFS though...

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: October 14, 2009, 10:37:25 am »

Toady, do you ever feel yourself getting burnt out or losing steam? I noticed there hasn't really been much in the way of updates this month, and I didn't know if that was because you felt yourself slowing down or if it's just the stuff you're working on

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: October 14, 2009, 10:47:44 am »

I think it's likely Toady isn't posting a lot either because he's doing something that isn't all that interesting to post about, or because he's keeping it a secret from us so it'll be a surprise on release.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: October 14, 2009, 11:14:34 am »

Perhaps, but it's been close to 2 weeks since he's responded to any posts in this topic

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: October 14, 2009, 11:37:06 am »

Perhaps, but it's been close to 2 weeks since he's responded to any posts in this topic

True but questions tend to slow down once he stops answering and CRAZY INCREASE once he does.

Though in no way am I suggestion that it is the reason why he is doing it.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: October 14, 2009, 11:43:47 am »

DF talk 3, I want it now :<
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: October 14, 2009, 11:49:23 am »

DF talk 3, I want it now :<

Yeah now THAT is what I am really wondering about.

Two weeks is quite a bit of time even with moving, and we arn't even getting updates on the status. I can only assume that is because no one knows what is happening with the editing.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: October 14, 2009, 12:05:30 pm »

I just got an idea...l

Will it be possible to have a creature get a poison effect from sunlight, for things like cave adaptation, vampires, or just light sensitive creatures that might get blinded? Will there be other special non-material conditions that might cause effects as well?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: October 14, 2009, 12:27:36 pm »

I just got an idea...l

Will it be possible to have a creature get a poison effect from sunlight, for things like cave adaptation, vampires, or just light sensitive creatures that might get blinded? Will there be other special non-material conditions that might cause effects as well?

Probably not in this release, no.  In the dev log quote I posted above, Toady mentions that the syndrome system can be extended to those kinds of situations later, but it isn't being done yet.

Also, yeah, if DF Talk takes much longer, there'll hardly be any time for the next round of questions.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:53:56 pm by Footkerchief »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: October 14, 2009, 02:57:02 pm »

Also, yeah, if DF Talk takes much longer, there'll hardly be any time for the next round of questions.

I'm pretty sure that there's enough leftover questions to see us through the end of the year...
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 1065