Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627424 times)

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5670 on: October 13, 2009, 02:55:26 pm »

To above question
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: October 13, 2009, 03:19:00 pm »

magic ability could be a consideration. creatures such as beholders can and they don't even have legs or arms only eyes. damn DnD.

edit: I mean; breath-weapons are not natural but magic abilities too.
xcept for vomit breath... but that is an acid-projectile-vomit attack actually.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:21:07 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: October 13, 2009, 03:21:31 pm »

To above question

My post doesn't really need to be spoilered but... Just in case, you know.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: October 13, 2009, 03:24:58 pm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: October 13, 2009, 03:29:01 pm »

Assuming it is even associated at all and isn't projected by their soul, ambient energy, disconnected mechanism, or that can be projected through any bodypart.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: October 13, 2009, 03:37:05 pm »

Assuming it is even associated at all and isn't projected by their soul, ambient energy, disconnected mechanism, or that can be projected through any bodypart.

Well, that's the thing, isn't it?  You'd want a system that could handle Angels(working wings), Cthuhlu (vestigal wings), Bloats (gasbags), and Superman.  Flight tied to a body part, a complex set of parts and nothing at all, without the wings always being tied to flight.  I'd think high correlation (few things without both have either), but not as a requirement.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: October 13, 2009, 05:38:48 pm »

Bodypart and nothing-at-all is already supported in 40d- SuperKobolds!
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: October 13, 2009, 09:05:14 pm »

But if breath weapons just take a specified material, what temperature is it at? Just the necessary temperature to make it gaseous?  With iron, that would be pretty nasty.

Or maybe it would just be projectile-vomiting iron chunks.

Replace projectile-vomiting with "organic cannon" and we've got potential.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: October 13, 2009, 09:56:09 pm »

COLD DRAGONS ARE DRAGON YETIS.
 POISON DRAGONS ARE GIANT PORCUPINE GILA MONSTERS.
 Dwarf fortress don't need no color coordination. Dwarf Fortress needs bizarre body parts.

I would have so much fun if my fortress got attacked by a poison-spewing giant porcupine gila monster.

Seriously, that would be awesome. And I love the image of cold dragons covered not in white scales but in thick blue-white fur.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:19:21 pm by AbacusWizard »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: October 13, 2009, 10:51:09 pm »

COLD DRAGONS ARE DRAGON YETIS.
 POISON DRAGONS ARE GIANT PORCUPINE GILA MONSTERS.
 Dwarf fortress don't need no color coordination. Dwarf Fortress needs bizarre body parts.
Most definitely. Random Dragons will be fun in a few versions.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: October 13, 2009, 11:12:34 pm »

You know, since it pretty much randomly picks stuff (at least sensibly) to create the new titans, I'm sure we will see some with the aquatic tag (AKA Leviathans, Kraken, Horrors of the Deep, etc). I wonder how those will show up. Like will the game make sure that you have a lake or something before something like that shows up?

It would be really wierd and extremely anticlimatic to have such a creature spawn on land and instantly airdrown.

Deepmurk the Tentacled Maw of Horror has arrived!
Deepmurk the Tentacled Maw of Horror has air-drowned!
Urist McLeader: O.o   okayyyy..... um, drag that thing in and see what we can do with it....

Speaking of which, how will materials from these random titans be handled? Like will there be a fixed value or will that be variable since I would rather mount the hide of such a thing rather than allow it to be used for crafts since the skin of a titan like the new ones don't deserve to be put onto a dang earring or idol artifact.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: October 14, 2009, 12:43:14 am »

i wish material fluids were available sooner, i really want to mod a stationary acid spewing gargoyle 'creature' that keeps my moat flowing with liquid proton horror soup. then dunk some gobbos in it and dissolve them like aspirin of the dwarfiest kind. but never mind that triviality; Toady, which release are you intending to implement custom fluids?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: October 14, 2009, 01:42:13 am »

Actually, if I understand right, this coming one. You get full custom mats- gas, fluid, solid.

Problem is, like I mentioned earlier about random vomitshell, acid damage doesn't exist yet, so you'd be thwarted that way.
Tilesets

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: October 14, 2009, 01:48:28 am »

Acid is out, but contact poison is in, and that seems like it'd be close enough to work.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: October 14, 2009, 02:07:45 am »

Speaking of which, how will materials from these random titans be handled? Like will there be a fixed value or will that be variable since I would rather mount the hide of such a thing rather than allow it to be used for crafts since the skin of a titan like the new ones don't deserve to be put onto a dang earring or idol artifact.

The creatures in the spoiler both use STANDARD_MATERIALS, which means they use the default material values from the material templates.  It would be straightforward to alter the value of specific materials with a SELECT_MATERIAL block, but that isn't being done in either of the examples we've seen.

Toady, which release are you intending to implement custom fluids?

If you mean stuff that flows around the map like water and magma, the only conclusive answer is "not yet."  And probably not in the series of follow-up releases either, since priority is being given to adventurer skills, improved sieges, and the top 10 ESV items.

Acid is out, but contact poison is in, and that seems like it'd be close enough to work.

And you can also give those contact poisons a fixed temperature, so they can burn and blister and cause excruciating pain and generally do everything that people love so much about acid, except for dissolving metal floors I guess.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:09:18 am by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 1065