Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627451 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5655 on: October 13, 2009, 09:30:45 am »

Acid and... cold. I think. White Dragons breathe concentrated cold.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: October 13, 2009, 10:14:51 am »

You can at the very least give a material a fixed_temp, per the preview raws. That should help a bit with temperature effects.

----

In 3.x at least, Black is acid, blue is lightning, green is acid gas, red is fire, and white is cold. I believe in AD&D, green was a poison gas, and I believe that 4E returned to that. I think that means that all except the blues can at least be faked now.

For the metallics, it's brass breathing fire and sleep gas, bronze is lightning and "fear" gas, copper is acid and slow gas, gold is fire and weakening gas, and silver is cold and paralyzing gas. Which I think means that the bronze is "out" on both counts, while the others should be at least fakable. All assuming, of course, that you want to add such dragons. ... Except that you probably can't have more than one "poison" per creature?

*checks*

No, checking the "newt", it seems you could give a creature multiple "poisons" and have each use a different delivery system, or the same at differing chances.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: October 13, 2009, 10:34:12 am »

Sounds like there's a need for a 'starting' temperature for stuff, rather than a fixed temperature.

If I stab something with Poison breath in the poison sac, will it burst in a cloud of poison?

Will a throat wound disable breath weapons, or even better yet, allow leakage?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: October 13, 2009, 11:29:50 am »

If I stab something with Poison breath in the poison sac, will it burst in a cloud of poison?

If I remember correctly it is a double no. (Once again, if I remember correctly)

Though I believe Toady plans for having things like that. He just doesn't have it up just yet.

The problem with Breath Weapons is the same thing Dungeons and dragons hit. In that a lot of creatures don't even need to breathe to do a similar attack.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: October 13, 2009, 11:33:27 am »

If I remember correctly it is a double no. (Once again, if I remember correctly)

Though I believe Toady plans for having things like that. He just doesn't have it up just yet.

The problem with Breath Weapons is the same thing Dungeons and dragons hit. In that a lot of creatures don't even need to breathe to do a similar attack.

I don't think the 2nd one works, but the 1st definitely does. He also mentioned you could have a creature that can fly due to a sack of air, and if you pierce said sack it'll flop onto the ground

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: October 13, 2009, 11:53:20 am »

I don't think the 2nd one works, but the 1st definitely does. He also mentioned you could have a creature that can fly due to a sack of air, and if you pierce said sack it'll flop onto the ground

Yup, poison sacs work, but there's no way to link them to a breath/glob weapon.

Quote from: Neonivek
I wonder if Toady will program in possible storage for material breath and other venoms
Quote from: Armok
hmm, will injection/breath attacks be dependant on some internal organ or just be spawned in the mouth/poison attack body part? the ultimate solution would probably be something like glands+bladders for each substance that is drained whit the attack, (and could later be expanded to other functionality like stomachs and such), maybe even stuff like size change depending on fullness and the bladder rupting from being overfilled/a blunt strike while full/a slash/pierce attack and releasing it's contents into the bloodstream of the creature or even the ground...

They aren't even associated to body parts yet, but yeah, ideally there'd be both storage and body part times to lessen their strengths a bit and add more interest for things like extraction processes as well.

Quote from: Footkerchief
I feel compelled to note that if I'm reading today's dev log right, you'll be able to mod in air-filled gas bladders for big fishies and then stab them and air will leak out.

Yeah, though, air would have to be added as a material...  and then it would appear as a visible flow within the other air.  On the plus side, I think (not sure, might need something) that you could also make a flier with a giant air bladder that is filled with a functional gaseous tissue within the [FLIER] bladder so that when it loses the contenst of the bladder it'll fall to the ground and have to walk around on its stubby little legs.  The missing part might be how flier is linked up...  oddly, the gas tissue might have to be [MUSCULAR] or [STRUCTURAL] instead of [FUNCTIONAL], but I'd have to check.  In any case, there's probably a solution in there.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: October 13, 2009, 12:03:17 pm »

Acid and... cold. I think. White Dragons breathe concentrated cold.

You would be... both right and wrong, actually.  Right because those are the remaining two breath weapons, wrong because it's the Black Dragons that breathe acid, and the Green ones breathe poison (but that's more question's fault than the answer's).
Although for some reason in 3rd edition Green and Black dragons both breathe Acid (but that's no fun).

But yeah.  Red=Fire, Blue=Lightning, White=Cold, Black=Acid, Green=Poison.

Not that I think D&D tropes should necessarily take over Dwarf Fortress, but the possibility for various different breath weapons appeals to me.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: October 13, 2009, 12:06:35 pm »

I just hope it doesn't end up color co-ordinated I am all for it.

Also in concept... The White Dragon breathing Ice in a location where most of the possible enemies are resistant... seems a bit silly.

I am kinda waiting until Globs get a bit more interesting. Like Needle breath, Spike Breath, Barb Breath, and mixtures.

For example having breathe that not only freezes everything on contact but hurls razor sharp shards of black ice.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:09:12 pm by Neonivek »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: October 13, 2009, 12:20:30 pm »

COLD DRAGONS ARE DRAGON YETIS.
 POISON DRAGONS ARE GIANT PORCUPINE GILA MONSTERS.
 Dwarf fortress don't need no color coordination. Dwarf Fortress needs bizarre body parts.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: October 13, 2009, 12:26:27 pm »

Giant Cave Dragon.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: October 13, 2009, 01:15:12 pm »

Ah, yes. Acid and lightning. Well, I suppose all normal chromatics can be modded then, with some handwaving of the lightning stuff. So, then Red is flame, Green is poison, Blue is lightning, White is ice, and Black is acid. Actually, per the usual color schemes, white using lightning and blue using ice kinda fits better, which is why I mix them up.

If breath weapons can be linked to bodyparts eventually, we can even mod in Tiamat. Five heads, each with its own attack. Or have such a beast show up through RCP_creatures.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: October 13, 2009, 01:19:35 pm »

ACK! No color co-ordination.

Especially since I grew up with Green dragons breathing FIRE!

Dang Dungeons and Dragons dictating how fantasy should be run

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: October 13, 2009, 01:24:35 pm »

Oh come on. There are mods about goddamn Pokémon. I was thinking of a mod based on Phantasy Star. Surely there could be mods based on D&D.

But yeah, chromatic dragons have no real place in vanilla DF.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: October 13, 2009, 01:29:29 pm »

It isn't that I mind dragons having a multitude of colors. It is that their colors should reflect their environment and/or the materials of their scales.

Not their personality and magical powers.

Dungeons and Dragons isn't a game about mystery of intent. That is why "Detect Evil" was a staple for a very long time. They just don't care.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: October 13, 2009, 01:31:26 pm »

I'm more interested in the spoilerized question, honestly...  Have we seen anything about

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 1065