Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627482 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5625 on: October 11, 2009, 02:49:21 am »

Totally happening.  We are one step closer with the release after next, because then we get adventurer skills.

And this release we get something important to that.

So can I rapidly level up my Diplomacy skill in adventure mode by chopping the arms and legs off of a zombie, putting it in a headlock, and Negotiating at it until I become Exhausted?

You'd need something intelligent to negotiate with. But now that we have at least some methods of healing, you could probably train it after you stabilize a limbless elven child. You could carry him on your back and train social skills all the time. When we get the magic arc, it can be replaced by a familiar.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: October 11, 2009, 08:38:44 am »

Totally happening.  We are one step closer with the release after next, because then we get adventurer skills.

So can I rapidly level up my Diplomacy skill in adventure mode by chopping the arms and legs off of a zombie, putting it in a headlock, and Negotiating at it until I become Exhausted?

You'd need something intelligent to negotiate with. But now that we have at least some methods of healing, you could probably train it after you stabilize a limbless elven child. You could carry him on your back and train social skills all the time. When we get the magic arc, it can be replaced by a familiar.

Social skills would need some use in Adventure Mode before that'd be worthwhile.

That said, practicing triage on victims would be amusing.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: October 11, 2009, 08:39:42 am »

Fixed.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: October 11, 2009, 09:14:28 am »

I actually laughed a largely disproportionate amount at that. Possibly because it was my own words that had been altered, and I had not considered that change.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: October 11, 2009, 09:17:47 am »

Will be possible to edit the adventurer apperance or at least know about his apperance?

I am similarly interested in this.

Although I imagine we'll all be making either hideous monstrosities or tanned gods and goddesses.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: October 11, 2009, 09:58:52 am »

Or hideous gods and goddesses, it's all the same.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: October 11, 2009, 10:39:22 am »

tanned gods and goddesses.

We need less Hellenistic (Greek) style gods and more celestial horrors. Although the new randomized titans will somewhat fill this niche.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: October 11, 2009, 12:40:45 pm »

This above post makes me again realise why I love this game.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #5633 on: October 11, 2009, 11:00:08 pm »

That last bit about the negotiation zombie made me spill my water.
I like how the dev-thread hasn't been added to since my last post, but you lot have already tacked on 3 pages.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: October 12, 2009, 02:45:00 pm »

Toady, do you think you could provide some screenshots or videos of some of the stuff you've been doing? I went through all the dev updates for this release and I realized we haven't really seen much of anything quite yet. Things like the new squad menu, perhaps the new announcement system or how wounds are displayed now, etc.

Oh, and perhaps some more of those sexy new HFS-esque creatures! Maybe vs. a dwarf or 12...

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: October 12, 2009, 02:56:17 pm »

Toady should show us the new arena mode...

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: October 12, 2009, 03:08:23 pm »

I could go for some battle arena....  Especially if he fed it through some of the artsy helpers first and it came with naration :-D

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: October 12, 2009, 07:18:08 pm »

But hasn't he said that arena mode wouldn't come with the next release?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: October 12, 2009, 07:53:42 pm »

But hasn't he said that arena mode wouldn't come with the next release?

Quote from: ToadyOne
I'm going ahead with the arena idea we discussed a bit before -- not arenas in adventure mode, but a mod testing mode. The current simple idea, which can be expanded after this release, is to allow the selection of a raw folder (either the main one or one of the ones associated to a current save, active or not) and to create a 144x144x9 arena with a floor, sky, magma and water. Next up is being able to stick critters in there with equipment and skills, and give them sides. Then you could have them fight and read the combat reports, or jump into one of them and play using adventure mode controls, or just see if they can walk around or live in general. I've got a creatureless version of it up and running in a stripped down dwarf mode -- there are lots of things to fix up, since there isn't any civilization information etc. loaded up and dwarf mode doesn't really like that. This time around, you can't save anything and there are no buildings or jobs created. We can do stuff like that later, after this release is up. The purpose here is basic creature/weapon/armor/material testing.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: October 12, 2009, 08:04:35 pm »

He also mentioned in the latest talk how it'll be available, although an init setting will default it to off because it takes a lot of the "magic" out of your first dragon experience or what have you
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 1065