Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627577 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5580 on: October 10, 2009, 09:53:59 am »

This is DFC. What do you mean, reasonably.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: October 10, 2009, 09:55:21 am »

whats so wrong in having a dorf with a blowgun?

it seems too D&D to me the idea of "I cant touch this object because my class/race doesnt allow me to"

The issue is never, or at least should be never, if a Dwarf can use a blowgun because there shouldn't be any barriers to using equipment except physical, if it is too big or heavy, or ethical, it is made out the the brains of the king.

In the case of blow guns the discussion is whether Dwarfs can make blowguns and the issue is that is may be too primative for them to even know how to create or even want to.

It is a Civilisation issue not a racial issue.

Though without poison, which Dwarves are against, Blowguns are also nearly useless.

As for Toady's update, yeah it is pretty amazing. UGH SO FAR AWAY!

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #5582 on: October 10, 2009, 10:20:02 am »

I'm not going to lie, the glowing pits did make me smile a bit more than eusual.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: October 10, 2009, 10:31:00 am »

I'm not going to lie, the glowing pits did make me smile a bit more than eusual.

Honestly I am wondering if Toady is just a liar or exagerating... How does he top 2d Dwarf Fortress HFS in Scope?

I can't fathom it
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 11:03:42 am by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: October 10, 2009, 10:42:15 am »

*blink*... I believe we are, in fact, talking about sentiency.

Actually - I can argue that a very very large amount of trees would live longer than the Galapogus Tortoise.

Being sentient has nothing to do with longevity.

Anyways, I've got a question (or more than one) regarding the new cavern systems, aquifers and bodies of saltwater.

So, now that the aquifer behavior is somewhat different now, how are you handling quifers as far as saltwater goes? Since in real life, aquifers on islands are freshwater, although there would be some mixing along the coast.

Also, how are the caverns going to be handled as far as surface sources of infinite water? I'm mainly wondering about oceans and lakes as there may be a possibility of the cavern system breaching such features. Although a surface river plunging into a cavern would be pretty cool. Provided it doesn't catastrophically flood the caverns.

I wouldn't mind some caverns bieng partially flooded though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: October 10, 2009, 11:13:01 am »

Being sentient has nothing to do with longevity

Oddly enough it does. In fact it is one of the reasons why humans are capable of living so long relative to other animals.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: October 10, 2009, 11:29:13 am »

Caves will need to have occasional rock shafts identical to lava tubes as to make them not so apparent. Then we actually have the chance of somebody accidentally digging into a lava pipe and flooding several cave systems.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: October 10, 2009, 11:30:34 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy#Lifespan_variation_over_time

In past at worst times life expectancy has been around 18 to 35 years. That sounds something cats, gorillas, dolhpins, horses and black bears would have:

http://homeschool-curricula.suite101.com/article.cfm/animal_life_spans

The reason why people live longer than ~30 years is most likely thanks to the advanced society we have, it's peacefullness, and ability to take care of the wounded/sick/weak/old.

Oh and the lates update also sounds awesome! But what does this "game end timer" thing mean? Notice this most recent version is the only DF I have seriously played, and even before that I never saw 2d versions.

*Edit* Or am I better off not knowing? ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 11:33:37 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: October 10, 2009, 11:34:25 am »

Yes but even when properly treated and outside of animals don't live too too much longer (though some and live very long periods of time). The Dogs life around 15-30 years treated well.

Because humans are Sentient their aging is slower.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: October 10, 2009, 11:37:44 am »

Because humans are Sentient their aging is slower.
Folks, all future discussions of this will have to go to a separate thread. I smell some major arguments going on 'ere, some of which might not be best suited to FotF.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: October 10, 2009, 11:40:06 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy#Lifespan_variation_over_time

In past at worst times life expectancy has been around 18 to 35 years. That sounds something cats, gorillas, dolhpins, horses and black bears would have:

http://homeschool-curricula.suite101.com/article.cfm/animal_life_spans

The reason why people live longer than ~30 years is most likely thanks to the advanced society we have, it's peacefullness, and ability to take care of the wounded/sick/weak/old.

Oh and the lates update also sounds awesome! But what does this "game end timer" thing mean? Notice this most recent version is the only DF I have seriously played, and even before that I never saw 2d versions.

*Edit* Or am I better off not knowing? ;D

The life expectancy takes into account disease, accidents, food availability, etc, not just old age. Genetics also plays a factor. The fact that some countries have a low life expectancy is due to disease from poor sanitation, poor nutrition, among other things.

@Duke 2.0: Agreed, we could go on forever with this argument.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: October 10, 2009, 11:47:29 am »

Id be really sad if this conversation gone on forever. I wasn't even speaking with oppinion.

Though, there hasn't been anything really to change the subject.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: October 10, 2009, 11:50:39 am »

Though, there hasn't been anything really to change the subject.

True, this section kind of goes through cycles of offtopic for a bit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: October 10, 2009, 11:56:54 am »

Possibly the best part about this is that you won't need to start a fortress just to get an adventurer to enjoy the HFS. Well that and mods.

Best of all is Toady is making the Hidden Fun stuff a lot more interesting... oddly more interesting then it ever was even during 2d Fortress mode.. which seems impossible unless he did something like some sort of Hidden Fun Civilisation or something.

Hmm maybe I should make a suggestion on Emergent Civilisations
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:10:05 pm by Neonivek »

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: October 10, 2009, 12:14:46 pm »

To answer the question Mandaril asked a long time ago, in the 2D version if you actually mined out any adamantine the game would start a timer of sorts. AFAIK, every month you had a mined-out-adamantine-in-99 chance of the game just... ending. You could not reclaim, and if you went back in adventurer mode there was a very tough demon inside. Also note that, again  AFAIK, you had to go through the glowing pits, which funtioned exactly the same, before you hit adamantine.

Now, what could be "on a much more grand scale" than all of that?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1065