Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627642 times)

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5550 on: October 09, 2009, 02:18:31 pm »

Making racial limitations like that does in my opinion more harm than good. Make it a mod (or possibility to do such a mod) or something, but not into my vanilla DF, please.

Uhm what? Elves using only wood *is* vanilla DF already.

Apart from that, I agree that preferably things should come about 'naturally' or emergent instead of being arbitrary, hard limitations. For example, the higher-skill-due-to-immortality thing would be more of an emergent phenomenon. I guess the limitation to wood can at least be attributed to some underlying racial philosophy or way of living, instead of binging just an arbitrary imposed limitation.

At some point everything will be randomisable, but if remember correctly Today has stated that he wants to keep vanilla DF to follow general fantasy tropes, at least to a certain extent. That implies some sort of hard-coded differences in between the races. Ideally, and this is what the above paragraph refers to, one would want to see a lot of the behaviour to emerge from some underlying causes, but the latter would be hard-coded nevertheless.

shiruba

• Bay Watcher
  • Eto eto... eto eto...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: October 09, 2009, 03:08:33 pm »

Making racial limitations like that does in my opinion more harm than good. Make it a mod (or possibility to do such a mod) or something, but not into my vanilla DF, please.

Apart from that, I agree that preferably things should come about 'naturally' or emergent instead of being arbitrary, hard limitations. For example, the higher-skill-due-to-immortality thing would be more of an emergent phenomenon. I guess the limitation to wood can at least be attributed to some underlying racial philosophy or way of living, instead of binging just an arbitrary imposed limitation.

At some point everything will be randomisable, but if remember correctly Today has stated that he wants to keep vanilla DF to follow general fantasy tropes, at least to a certain extent. That implies some sort of hard-coded differences in between the races. Ideally, and this is what the above paragraph refers to, one would want to see a lot of the behaviour to emerge from some underlying causes, but the latter would be hard-coded nevertheless.

seriously,
There is no "general fantasy tropes". there is Tolkien-ish, d&d-ish,J-rpg, anime-ish fantasy and etc. sure, most of them overlap.

Cannibal elves, evil carp, magma, gemstones and golbins allied with clownic fun forces of happiness make sure that Dwarf Fortress's fantasy trope is original. OF COURSE it made from the same pieces than the D&D trope is made and the same pieces that tolkien's trope is made, but THAT configuration that is DF is original.

Thats exactly why I support Jungle dorfs, desert dorfs, blowgun dorfs, steam and whatever the community suggests. if DF is gonna make its own trope it could very well be the DORFIEST URIST MCBADASSERYNESS trope ever!

=* thanks for reading =*
"ONORE DIKEIDO, THIS WORLD NO SEKAI SHALL BE YOUR DOOM DESU NE"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: October 09, 2009, 04:32:45 pm »

seriously,
There is no "general fantasy tropes". there is Tolkien-ish, d&d-ish,J-rpg, anime-ish fantasy and etc. sure, most of them overlap.

Cannibal elves, evil carp, magma, gemstones and golbins allied with clownic fun forces of happiness make sure that Dwarf Fortress's fantasy trope is original. OF COURSE it made from the same pieces than the D&D trope is made and the same pieces that tolkien's trope is made, but THAT configuration that is DF is original.

Thats exactly why I support Jungle dorfs, desert dorfs, blowgun dorfs, steam and whatever the community suggests. if DF is gonna make its own trope it could very well be the DORFIEST URIST MCBADASSERYNESS trope ever!

=* thanks for reading =*

You support anything the community suggests? So... you want the game to be as tacky and watered-down as possible?

I'm also not sure you know what a trope is.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: October 09, 2009, 05:14:44 pm »

I don't think you're using the term "trope" here in the same way.  A trope is not an entire setting; it is a creative device or convention that is likely to be familiar to an audience because it appears in other, similar works.  Elves liking trees is a trope.  Dwarves having beards is a trope.

Different tropes are widespread and familiar to different degrees among different audiences.  I take shiruba's label of "general fantasy tropes" to mean "a large set of tropes commonly seen/expected in works of 'traditional' fantasy fiction."  These would be the tropes that lie within the overlap you mentioned.  Taken with this intended meaning, shiruba's statement makes complete sense.

If you want to know more, I recommend wasting several hours of your life on TV Tropes.

Backing off from linguistic nitpicking, I do disagree with shiruba's assertion that for vanilla DF to be vanilla, racial differences must be "hard-coded."  If it's hard-coded, it's not moddable (since the source is not open), and anything like that is going to be the way it is in *any* version of DF, not just unmodded/vanilla.  If elves liking trees comes about in an emergent way based on racial sphere preferences or somesuch, that provides a mechanism that is an alternative to hard-coded behavior.  If the racial sphere preferences or whatever are moddable (in the RAWs), then the emergent behavior can be changed indirectly.

Of course, emergent behavior is tricky because you don't control it directly.  If the attempts to elicit the emergence of desired behavior fail, one can always fall back on some degree of hard-coding (and sacrifice flexibility).

Okay, maybe that's still linguistic nit-picking.  Sort of.  :)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: October 09, 2009, 05:25:32 pm »

Backing off from linguistic nitpicking, I do disagree with shiruba's assertion that for vanilla DF to be vanilla, racial differences must be "hard-coded."  If it's hard-coded, it's not moddable (since the source is not open), and anything like that is going to be the way it is in *any* version of DF, not just unmodded/vanilla.  If elves liking trees comes about in an emergent way based on racial sphere preferences or somesuch, that provides a mechanism that is an alternative to hard-coded behavior.  If the racial sphere preferences or whatever are moddable (in the RAWs), then the emergent behavior can be changed indirectly.

I think you meant dreiche2's assertion, but I agree in any case, with the addition that there's a large gray area between hardcoding and moddability (modifiability?), due to "grainier" catchall raws options like many of the entity tags (SNATCHER, SKULKING etc).

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: October 09, 2009, 06:45:47 pm »

I think you meant dreiche2's assertion, but I agree in any case, with the addition that there's a large gray area between hardcoding and moddability (modifiability?), due to "grainier" catchall raws options like many of the entity tags (SNATCHER, SKULKING etc).

Yes, thanks for correcting me.  And yeah, it's always a gray area.  I work as a game developer as well, and we strive to make our game "data-driven," but the data is only as flexible as the rules that process it.  Good design and generality increase bang for the bug -- for example, a small and well-axiomatized set of combinators can allow designers to do amazing things just by sticking simple pieces together.  But at some point you either stop adding flexibility or produce something so complex that it is or might as well be Turing-complete.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: October 09, 2009, 07:04:04 pm »

On a large map, DF already is, I think.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: October 09, 2009, 07:13:49 pm »

*Takes a stick and thwacks it at the TVTropes links* THWAKITY THWACK THWACKITY THWACK THWACK!.

Okay um....... no idea how to re-rail this....

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: October 09, 2009, 07:15:19 pm »

As for Elves and wood, it is a mystery how they get so much wood. They COULD have got it from already fallen trees or bundles of wood fallen off a tree but one persistant theory, beyond them being hypocrites, is that they use magical processes to extract wood from living trees.

Have you seen deadwood in a redwood forest? You can usually get many hundreds of normal logs from one of those.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: October 09, 2009, 07:19:12 pm »

*Takes a stick and thwacks it at the TVTropes links* THWAKITY THWACK THWACKITY THWACK THWACK!.

I think that the discussion is pretty relevant. Maybe not immediately, but it should be talked about.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: October 09, 2009, 07:23:29 pm »

I think that the discussion is pretty relevant. Maybe not immediately, but it should be talked about.

Meh, I'm just bieng silly :)

It would be really cool to see the new caverns in a 3D program like Visual Fortress or 3D Dwarf.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: October 09, 2009, 07:57:05 pm »

As for Elves and wood, it is a mystery how they get so much wood. They COULD have got it from already fallen trees or bundles of wood fallen off a tree but one persistant theory, beyond them being hypocrites, is that they use magical processes to extract wood from living trees.

Have you seen deadwood in a redwood forest? You can usually get many hundreds of normal logs from one of those.

Multi-tile trees, exhibit A:

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: October 09, 2009, 08:10:09 pm »

I meant hard-coded as opposed to emergent, not hard-coded as in non-moddable. I guess 'default' would have been a better term.

Also, I wrote Today instead of Toady  ::)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: October 09, 2009, 08:16:01 pm »

There's a thread for talking about races in GenDisc already, if you want to fork o'er there.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1065