Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627648 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5520 on: October 09, 2009, 01:18:58 am »

The cave stuff is part of the Underground Diversity sub-arc, it wouldn't be very diverse if there weren't any UG plants.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: October 09, 2009, 02:15:33 am »

I assume you mean it's 3.5 Edition, which would be the most commonly recognised DnD edition (4e might be usurping it in that respect, it remains to be seen.)

D&D geeks? On my internets? (It's more likely than you'd think.)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: October 09, 2009, 02:17:18 am »

I assume you mean it's 3.5 Edition, which would be the most commonly recognised DnD edition (4e might be usurping it in that respect, it remains to be seen.)

D&D geeks? On my internets? (It's more likely than you'd think.)

Non D&D geeks, in my intertubes? This problem must be resolved!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: October 09, 2009, 02:39:56 am »

So yeah. Cave exploration and gradual uncovering of tiles as opposed to a full reveal. Cool.

So will versions of those massive caverns from a few months ago be the general replacement of our current caves or merely an addition? The current caves seem like placeholders more than anything else. I could see the use of a few twisty passages, but these large caves would be best.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: October 09, 2009, 03:11:12 am »

So will versions of those massive caverns from a few months ago be the general replacement of our current caves or merely an addition? The current caves seem like placeholders more than anything else. I could see the use of a few twisty passages, but these large caves would be best.

The Sites section of the List is all about updating the current caves.  The only specific change that's been mentioned is that they'll be connected to underground layers, but yeah, I think it's a safe bet they'll look pretty different from their hideous current selves.  All the goofiness with perfectly square sinkhole entrances and stairs connecting Z-levels would stand out like a sore thumb compared to the ramp-heavy and curvaceous new caverns. (I know you've probably already seen those dev log entries, it's more for the benefit of other people who might be reading)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:15:25 am by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: October 09, 2009, 05:49:10 am »

Goodness Imagine if Giant Cave Spiders suddenly become a regular creature underground. It will be uttar chaos, death, and destruction!

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: October 09, 2009, 05:55:41 am »

And will GCS's lose there crown as the most feared creature, with the sweeping new changes to the materials interactions? There fangs may not even be able to penetrate the leathery dwarven skin?

It could all be about the poison-toting batmen from here-on in.

Such excitement ...

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: October 09, 2009, 06:06:41 am »

Sorry to bring it back to this, but instead of gathering an elfy resource, how about treating a (relatively) common one to make it strong in an elfy way?
I read the book Magician ages ago, it features a civ without access to steel, so they instead treat and lacquer wood to make a material as sharp as steel but lighter and slightly weaker. why not have the elves use a herb concoction to treat their pretty trees to produce a blade that can compete with steel?
By making the special herb as rare as iron ore and since wood is as abundant as flux, a stand in for steel forging could be made without much trouble.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: October 09, 2009, 06:27:23 am »

And will GCS's lose there crown as the most feared creature, with the sweeping new changes to the materials interactions? There fangs may not even be able to penetrate the leathery dwarven skin?

It could all be about the poison-toting batmen from here-on in.

Such excitement ...

The main reason GCS are so deadly is that they are large, can shoot web and are nearly impossible to kill.

The fact that they can bite your head off is merely an afterthought.

Fun note; if a real spider really grew to GCS size, it would be even deadlier.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: October 09, 2009, 06:28:39 am »

Does "proportional strength of a spider" ring a bell?

Also, a real spider that size would collapse in on itself.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: October 09, 2009, 06:48:28 am »

There are several reasons why a spider of that size, but not the structural changes to support it, would be incapable of surviving.

Though these are the reasons why the GCS is so powerful
1) Poison
2) Size
3) Webs
4) Immune to pain/unconsciousness (Most tough enemies in this game faint long before they die. The GCS doesn't)
5) Enclosed Space (usually)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: October 09, 2009, 06:50:07 am »

Don't forget that every leg still attached reduces your chance to score a hit on the centre mass.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: October 09, 2009, 06:52:08 am »

Don't forget that every leg still attached reduces your chance to score a hit on the centre mass.

Yep its many many bodyparts is a solid defense strategy.

Also though it may not seem like an advantage, its lack of graspers means it won't try to remove stuck in weapons or waste time with grapples.

The Bronze Collosus greatest weakness is its obsession with breaking grapples.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: October 09, 2009, 06:56:44 am »

Sorry to bring it back to this, but instead of gathering an elfy resource, how about treating a (relatively) common one to make it strong in an elfy way?
I read the book Magician ages ago, it features a civ without access to steel, so they instead treat and lacquer wood to make a material as sharp as steel but lighter and slightly weaker. why not have the elves use a herb concoction to treat their pretty trees to produce a blade that can compete with steel?
By making the special herb as rare as iron ore and since wood is as abundant as flux, a stand in for steel forging could be made without much trouble.

I'm also one of those people who thinks that balancing things by making everyone equal is less interesting than giving each faction unique strengths. The latter is usually harder to balance, but it's not like we need perfect balance here anyway.

Here, giving every race their own version of steel or adamantium to give them equally strong weapons would be balancing of the first type. For the second type, well, it depends on what Today thinks is 'elfy'. Until magic is in, I guess having higher skills could be one solution (potentially as an emergent result from being immortal), and/or having more wild beasts and special creatures fight on their side another one.

I guess currently elves cannot really realize their skill potential from their immortality because everyone starts at zero at world creation and elves then never get to live long because of their initial disadvantages...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: October 09, 2009, 07:25:27 am »

Sometimes, it helps to increase the site pop cap numbers of the elves. This leads to them eventually having ridiculously massive armies, which slightly offsets the fact that they die by the hundreds.

Also, elves are supposed to be superior bowmen and hunters. If the raws reflect that by giving them better agility, and the worldgen battle simulation actually takes it into account, they will stand more of a chance.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 1065