Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627692 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5505 on: October 08, 2009, 10:10:09 pm »

Forget other fantasy milieus, magically durable Elf-made wood already exists in Dwarf Fortress lore.  Animal Justice mentions a wooden sword "forged" hard as steel by weathering it in a magic stream for several years.  Sounds great to me.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: October 08, 2009, 10:11:44 pm »

Their -1 damblock doesn't help either, although their immortality does mean they're masters at winning wars of attrition.
Do note their increased size makes them better offensively than other races, while their defenses are lacking hard to make up for that. And their immortality.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: October 08, 2009, 10:12:19 pm »

Forget other fantasy milieus, magically durable Elf-made wood already exists in Dwarf Fortress lore.  Animal Justice mentions a wooden sword "forged" hard as steel by weathering it in a magic stream for several years.  Sounds great to me.

It is the glory of using the materials the Spheres give you to your advantage. Which Elves would have first dibs on.

Though judging by what Toady written up on it. It seems to be very specific and involving spirits

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:14:34 pm by Neonivek »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: October 08, 2009, 10:18:04 pm »

All Elves need is some sort of magical 'Ironwood'. Most fantasy realms that have the Elves only using wood realise this and give them some kind of Ironwood to faciliate the fact that they're using wood.

Their -1 damblock doesn't help either, although their immortality does mean they're masters at winning wars of attrition.

Not most in fact it isn't that common.

Heck "Ironwood" In dungeons and dragons isn't even wood... It is metal that has been altered to allow the flow of nature through it.

Hence why i said 'some sort'.

I'll admit it's not common in fantasy that doesn't bother exploring serious conflict between races, i havn't yet read a fantasy which does explore such conflict that doesn't give the Elves some sort of advantage to counteract the fact that everyone else is wearing Steel.

Do note their increased size makes them better offensively than other races, while their defenses are lacking hard to make up for that. And their immortality.

They're the same size as Humans, and Dorfs have a +1 Damblock, so they're natively worse in combat than both Humans and Dorfs (although size is slightly better than Damblock, their lack of decent materials to make their stuff out of more than outweighs that minor bonus.)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: October 08, 2009, 10:36:15 pm »

All Elves need is some sort of magical 'Ironwood'. Most fantasy realms that have the Elves only using wood realise this and give them some kind of Ironwood to faciliate the fact that they're using wood.

Well, Ironwood (that is, wood from the genus Tabebuia) is pretty decently strong.  It's got more bending strength than some steels, though is rather inferior in terms of shear and compressive stresses. 

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: October 08, 2009, 11:00:41 pm »

Curse you modability! Ruining my knowledge!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: October 08, 2009, 11:03:17 pm »

Heck "Ironwood" In dungeons and dragons isn't even wood... It is metal that has been altered to allow the flow of nature through it.
No, definitely wood.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: October 08, 2009, 11:14:23 pm »

No, definitely wood.

That is d20 Though I conceed that earlier versions of Dungeons and dragons may have also made it an actual wood.

Anyhow one way Elves could get metal is through trade.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: October 08, 2009, 11:16:34 pm »

No, definitely wood.

That is d20

Who cares?

But yeah, I think the idea of giving the elves advantages on terrain, and mastery over animals would more than make up for any disadvantages incurred by crappy wooden equipment.

The speedy population growth, and immortality ALREADY swings alot in their favor though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: October 08, 2009, 11:18:50 pm »

The Population aspect really needs to be taken away

Mind you not because I don't think overwhelming numbers couldn't be a an advantage... it is that it really injures the game in the process due to population caps and all that as well as not making sense in terms of "How the heck do they support such a population?"

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: October 08, 2009, 11:22:14 pm »

No, definitely wood.

That is d20 Though I conceed that earlier versions of Dungeons and dragons may have also made it an actual wood.

Anyhow one way Elves could get metal is through trade.

I assume you mean it's 3.5 Edition, which would be the most commonly recognised DnD edition (4e might be usurping it in that respect, it remains to be seen.)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: October 08, 2009, 11:40:54 pm »

"How the heck do they support such a population?"

You've seen the Elf vs Dwarf/Goblin/Human/Demon wars in your Legends mode. 12 dwarves almost invariably drive off huge numbers of elves. Worse still if it's a Demon leading one or two goblins against an elf army.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: October 08, 2009, 11:46:07 pm »

Mind you not because I don't think overwhelming numbers couldn't be a an advantage... it is that it really injures the game in the process due to population caps and all that as well as not making sense in terms of "How the heck do they support such a population?"
Cannibalism, mostly.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: October 09, 2009, 12:59:24 am »

Cannibalism, mostly.

But only if they win ;)  Otherwise the large population is irrelevant.  On the other hand, this is slowly drifting off topic.

Toady, are there still plants that grow underground like towercaps in the current version?  Also, will they still grow on muddied stone underground, or will they need real soil?  Do they just grow in the open layers, or will they grow anywhere underground?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: October 09, 2009, 01:03:48 am »

Toady, are there still plants that grow underground like towercaps in the current version?

Definitely yes to this part.
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 1065