Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627721 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5475 on: October 08, 2009, 03:12:50 pm »

The amusing thought is that beards and milk might use the same system going forward...

skepticcs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: October 08, 2009, 03:26:52 pm »

Why can't he just make it so that animals can produce a unit of something every now and then, and dwarves can just go and pick it up? Like, a cow could just spill some milk on the ground every now and then, and a dwarf could come scoop it into a bucket for processing.

Well, this is... kind of possible in the next version.  You could make cows spit globs of solid "milk," and create a Dairy workshop with a custom job to convert the globs into normal liquid milk in a bucket or barrel.  To make them spit the globs, though, I think you'd have to 1) set up something like the GCS silk-milking firing ranges people contruct, and 2) train them as war cows.  It's entertainingly demented at least?

So water in DF "acts like a fairly thick, viscous fluid" and cows drop solid cubes of milk that must be processed into a liquid. Strange world. I'm ok with it as long as this act is limited to cows. I certainly do not want a barrel full of Urist milk in my food stockpile.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: October 08, 2009, 03:37:00 pm »

And unfortunately for Dwarves (but fortunately for Lava dwellers) Lava is also treated like a thick viscous fluid rather then a ultra dense ultra thick extremely viscous semi-fluid

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: October 08, 2009, 03:37:43 pm »

Well, this is... kind of possible in the next version.  You could make cows spit globs of solid "milk," and create a Dairy workshop with a custom job to convert the globs into normal liquid milk in a bucket or barrel.  To make them spit the globs, though, I think you'd have to 1) set up something like the GCS silk-milking firing ranges people contruct, and 2) train them as war cows.  It's entertainingly demented at least?

The amusing thought is that beards and milk might use the same system going forward...

No... the amusing thought there is that cows will run around spraying milk at anyone and everyone who alarms them.  With castes you can even restrict it to the female ones.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: October 08, 2009, 04:35:30 pm »

Or, with castes you can make it so the male ones spray strangers with "bull milk".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: October 08, 2009, 05:00:41 pm »

Or, with castes you can make it so the male ones spray strangers with "bull milk".

PLEASE can we change the subject?

First with the "Milk" the cows drop and now "bull milk"... I forsee nothing good

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: October 08, 2009, 05:06:56 pm »

the material type was in 40d, I thought
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: October 08, 2009, 05:12:42 pm »

PLEASE can we change the subject?

I'd be obliged. 

With the fleshing out of inter-civ wars, are you planning to revise inter-race balance in war?  Specifically in the case of elves: will we in the near future see them actually win an offensive battle in Legends for once? 

Cue obligatory "elves liek suckk lulz" comments. 
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: October 08, 2009, 05:35:48 pm »

The difficulty Elves have is the fact that they are otherwise overwhelmed by all the other races except for their somewhat iffy breeding rate (which I would still prefer if it wasn't so fast for the game's sanity). Wood simply cannot win them wars.

Meaning that for elves to actually win wars except through sheer Elven numbers (Which once again I hope won't stay so insanely high) they would need other methods to wage war such as war animals, animal men, and maybe a method of obtaining non-horrible weapons and armor.

Elves will be getting even weaker with the next release.

Also to correct you Hummingbird they win offensive battles often in Legends... but it works like this
1) Elves Send constant stream of hundreds of elves to the enemy
2) Enemy defends elf attacks barely but all survivors are now legends
3) Legends eventually die from AGE!
4) Elves overwhelm the fresh recruits
5) Elves win! Gourging commences!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 05:39:38 pm by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: October 08, 2009, 05:37:18 pm »

Maybe, even though they can't mine, those boulders that litter every landscape could be used to make stone things, or break them apart and use them as sharp rock weapons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: October 08, 2009, 05:41:34 pm »

Maybe, even though they can't mine, those boulders that litter every landscape could be used to make stone things, or break them apart and use them as sharp rock weapons.

It could conceivably help a little, but Elves would still be brutally behind in terms of combat ability.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: October 08, 2009, 05:54:10 pm »

Or they could use some of the harder types of wood.  Or siege weapons, which work fine made out of wood.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: October 08, 2009, 06:11:45 pm »

Or they could use some of the harder types of wood.  Or siege weapons, which work fine made out of wood.

They arn't guarenteed access to the harder types of wood (Or rather one tree and only one tree wouldn't pale in comparison with metalic weapons) and in terms of siege weapons, it sorta could work but it would seriously put them up as the most technologically advanced if they could seriously destroy armies with siege units. Unless they are given the ability to grow the tough tree.

So they are still in a rut.

I still prefer the idea that they have Animal allies. Though thousands of years of training also helps... if the game could ever get to that point.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:25:24 pm by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: October 08, 2009, 06:37:00 pm »

Following the 'hard wood' string of thought, maybe there could be a legendarily hard tree that only Elves can figure out how cut down and use effectively.

Kind of like how Dwarves are the only race that can access adamantium, Elves are the only race that can access the super wood.

It would make them more effective combat AND make their trade caravan more valuable.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: October 08, 2009, 06:44:21 pm »

Except in Adamantium's case it only applies to Player run fortresses (though its situation is a bit iffy at the moment) and comes at the thread of death.

Goblins also have access to Adamantine apperantly but only in adventurer mode.

Though Dwarves have Steel while humans and Goblins only tend to come with Iron.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:49:02 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 1065