Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627758 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5460 on: October 07, 2009, 11:54:53 pm »

I understand that from an in-game perspective, it's more realistic to have the currency named by the various kingdoms, but when talking about it here on the forums, I kind of don't like having to look at a unicode table to get the ☼ symbol, and calling it dwarfbucks sounds silly.

You say that like sounding silly is a bad thing.  Although dwarfdegrees is a little clunky.

It's not "Dwarf Degrees" it's degrees Elfius. based on standard measurements of elves' cooking, boiling, and ignition points. However, those living with the old Imperial have temp Dwarfenheit, and that's why there's still confusion between some of the temp numbers.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: October 08, 2009, 12:39:26 am »

Tunneling enemies, remember?  Although that means you could get HFS after having not dug at all, I guess.

This could work if Tunneling enemies had a "preferred" stone types to dig through. Since they're always encapsulated in Adamantine, you could just set they're tunneling preferences to "Never dig through adamantine, but it's OK to dig through anything else" and you could have the best of both worlds.

This makes perfect sense to me. In lore terms, you could think of it this way:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like this; make it canon.

It's been unofficial canon for a while now, I think.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: October 08, 2009, 02:09:53 am »

I understand that from an in-game perspective, it's more realistic to have the currency named by the various kingdoms, but when talking about it here on the forums, I kind of don't like having to look at a unicode table to get the ☼ symbol, and calling it dwarfbucks sounds silly.

You say that like sounding silly is a bad thing.  Although dwarfdegrees is a little clunky.

It's not "Dwarf Degrees" it's degrees Elfius. based on standard measurements of elves' cooking, boiling, and ignition points. However, those living with the old Imperial have temp Dwarfenheit, and that's why there's still confusion between some of the temp numbers.

It's Degrees Urist fool, named for the Dwarf that discovered them.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: October 08, 2009, 06:43:53 am »

Toady, will it be possible to use a workshop to change a creature's caste?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: October 08, 2009, 07:06:55 am »

No. Custom workshops can't use creatures.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: October 08, 2009, 08:16:47 am »

It's been unofficial canon for a while now, I think.

Uhhh...? Isn't that an oxymoron?
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: October 08, 2009, 08:43:07 am »

TVTropes has the definition "Fanon".

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: October 08, 2009, 09:34:08 am »

Yeah, there are plenty of unofficial things that are widely accepted.

And because I like ruining someone's day:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fanon

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: October 08, 2009, 01:52:11 pm »

Clowns are very hilarious creatures.

Just read this account and see for yourself.

edit: Puzzlemaker, weren't you the one with a very famous run-in with clowns?  You breached the funhouse and everyone was like "Don't tell him how funny it is!  Let him find out heehee!"

Yes I was sir.  It was an interesting experience.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5469 on: October 08, 2009, 02:19:16 pm »

I have not been paying the greatest attention, but is milking for non-carried animals (like cows) in the work set for this next release?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: October 08, 2009, 02:21:27 pm »

I have not been paying the greatest attention, but is milking for non-carried animals (like cows) in the work set for this next release?

No, unfortunately.

Quote from: Org
1: Will milking be updated? To where we can milk cows?

1 Nope.

However, there's a livestock-oriented item on dev_next which will probably end up including a fix for milking.  So it's in the relatively near future.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 02:23:12 pm by Footkerchief »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: October 08, 2009, 02:53:37 pm »

No, unfortunately.

Quote from: Org
1: Will milking be updated? To where we can milk cows?

1 Nope.

However, there's a livestock-oriented item on dev_next which will probably end up including a fix for milking.  So it's in the relatively near future.

Why can't he just make it so that animals can produce a unit of something every now and then, and dwarves can just go and pick it up? Like, a cow could just spill some milk on the ground every now and then, and a dwarf could come scoop it into a bucket for processing.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: October 08, 2009, 02:59:23 pm »

Because that would be so wrong...

Especially if multiple things can be specified. Then, every animal could be set to have its..  leavings.

Actually, no. I think it'd be a case of "Gone Horribly Right".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: October 08, 2009, 03:08:16 pm »

Why can't he just make it so that animals can produce a unit of something every now and then, and dwarves can just go and pick it up? Like, a cow could just spill some milk on the ground every now and then, and a dwarf could come scoop it into a bucket for processing

Because you know that isn't what you mean! ANGRY FACE!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: October 08, 2009, 03:09:17 pm »

Why can't he just make it so that animals can produce a unit of something every now and then, and dwarves can just go and pick it up? Like, a cow could just spill some milk on the ground every now and then, and a dwarf could come scoop it into a bucket for processing.

Well, this is... kind of possible in the next version.  You could make cows spit globs of solid "milk," and create a Dairy workshop with a custom job to convert the globs into normal liquid milk in a bucket or barrel.  To make them spit the globs, though, I think you'd have to 1) set up something like the GCS silk-milking firing ranges people contruct, and 2) train them as war cows.  It's entertainingly demented at least?
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 1065