Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627862 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5445 on: October 07, 2009, 12:18:09 pm »

will the embark skill point system (a) still be the same as in the current version (where we would assign points to say, wrestling, and the dwarf would automatically get points in all the associated sub-skills such as biting, kicking, punching, etc.)

Wait, it works like that right now?  The closest thing I can think of is migrants arriving with groups of loosely related skills, but I haven't seen anything like that when allotting skill points myself.

No, right now when you want a wrestler, you put skill points into wrestling (up to 10 skill levels total per dwarf, max of 5 skill levels per single skill), and the current version does not have the new sub skills (such as the biting, punching, kicking, etc.).  I'm wondering if these sub skills show up in the embark skill list, and if so will the embark points and/or skill selection system be different in the new release.  If the sub skills are "hidden", I would assume the embark system will stay the same...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:13:20 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: October 07, 2009, 12:28:41 pm »

This whole new need to explore, even in fort mode (awesome) makes me wonder, will we be able to directly order dwarves to go to a place or stay out of a place? Beyond burrows you'd need some way to order exploration.

Toady mentioned that it currently takes a little bit of micromanaging to keep a squad moving into an unrevealed area.  No different than many RTSes, really.  As for staying out of a place, that's just done via burrows, I think.

Quote from: Tonto
Quote from: Aqizzar
Any ideas on what to do about mass, psychic revelation of the cave's interior?
I am concerned about the same thing. While it's definitely not up to me, I think an ideal situation at this point would be to reveal one Z-level above your explorers and one Z-level below as they reach each new ramp or dig a staircase into a lower level.  After all, it's dark down there. Layers of water could also inhibit revealing, so that an area has to be at least significantly drained before it can be discovered.  Something like that would be great on existing lairs and reclaimed fortresses as well.
Quote from: Footkerchief
So what did the new implementation of map revealing end up looking like?  It did occur to me that maybe you could do some rough LOS stuff, like only do LOS calcs for dwarves on the fringe of revealed areas.

So yeah, the new system is to have a 60 or so tile flood out from your dwarves as they go underground, and any time they get within 30 tiles of the 60 tile flood (flags are kept when the flood got out to 30, roughly), it'll flood out again, picking up those flags and placing new ones, so it moves out in a kind of chunking way.  It doesn't move out continuously as that would be too slow, and it doesn't respect LOS for the same reason, but it does flood out around corridors and so on, so though you can see around corners, you don't completely overcome walls.

I thought it worked all right, certainly preferable to what it was doing before, though there is currently a bit of babysitting to do if you want a squad to explore an unexplored area, since they can't take orders to walk into a hidden zone.  Some new commands/actions will be necessary, probably.  It is a little strange to not know quite when it's going to expand your view, especially in more twisted areas, but I don't think the effect is all that bad.  I'm a little leery of doing LOS stuff, as it might clunk down in places with lots of corners if your squad is constantly on the move, like adv mode.  There could be something there though.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: October 07, 2009, 02:36:25 pm »

Quote from: Toady
Ideally, an adventurer will be able to walk from some of the surface cave entrances all the way down to the worst the underground has to offer, passing through the various layers.
Nethack 2 - Slaves to Armok

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: October 07, 2009, 04:14:30 pm »

Quote from: Toady
Ideally, an adventurer will be able to walk from some of the surface cave entrances all the way down to the worst the underground has to offer, passing through the various layers.

Does this mean that the HFS will be directly connected to the surface?  Or will there be some sort of reasonable barriers for it (such as an artifact admantine door).  Or will the adventure be able to "dig" their way into HFS?
Reason I ask this is because if HFS is connected to the surface in some way (adventure can reach it), won't there be a problem that the moment you embark there, you'll have to contend with a crap load of HFS?
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: October 07, 2009, 04:21:21 pm »

This makes me really, really want to have ropes in Adventure mode.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5450 on: October 07, 2009, 04:39:24 pm »

Yeah, exploring the new caves will be really cool (infinitely better than the current caves, at any rate), but it's still slightly lame that you can just walk down into them.  It'll have a whole new aspect of danger and excitement once your very ability to navigate a cave (and return to the surface) depends on expendable items like torches and ropes.

I'm imagining a scenario where you rappel down a vertical cliff face, leaving your rope attached for the return trip, slay the beast (or do whatever you came to do), come back and find that your rope's been stolen by a band of kobolds, who you're forced to track down and confront in the gloom of their cave.  Or maybe you could just stay down there for a year eating mushrooms, farming pigtails to braid into a rope, fighting off crazed undergrounders, and licking mutant olms to get high.

Or you could hunt down kobolds and collect spidersilk loincloths to tie together into a prison rope, and also maybe eat the kobolds.  Yeah, I'm glad the Adventurer Skills Arc is getting some near-term love.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 04:46:32 pm by Footkerchief »

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: October 07, 2009, 04:42:50 pm »

And climbing, and jumping, and mining.

(And falling, and cave-ins.)

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: October 07, 2009, 04:46:19 pm »

Do the new caverns all start non-revealed in Dwarf Mode?  If they're all connected, do they get fully revealed as soon as the connected area is breached, or has there been some "fog of war" improvement that I missed?  It seems like the way things insta-reveal in Dwarf Mode, "exploration" would go pretty quickly.

Also...

What kind of effect are all these new caverns having on the pathfinding load?

I guess it's no different from if you dug all those areas out yourself, but I'm still curious if there's a perceptible/measurable difference.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: October 07, 2009, 04:51:53 pm »

Fog of war.  Things are only revealed incrementally as your dwarfs get to them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: October 07, 2009, 04:54:14 pm »

Do the new caverns all start non-revealed in Dwarf Mode?  If they're all connected, do they get fully revealed as soon as the connected area is breached, or has there been some "fog of war" improvement that I missed?  It seems like the way things insta-reveal in Dwarf Mode, "exploration" would go pretty quickly.

Yeah, it's basically fog of war underground now, with (apparently) permanent visibility in revealed areas (although I personally think it would be awesome if it worked more like adventure mode, where you can't see stuff you shouldn't be able to).

Quote from: dev log
04/03/2009: [...] I also think I'll be able to update discovery/revealing of the local underground so that it depends more on where your dwarves have actually been, instead of revealing everything. Active LOS around every dwarf isn't feasible, but it can push the frontier off through the connected areas when a dwarf is vaguely nearby, anyway, so that there can be enormous connected (adventure-explorable) caverns without having them pre-revealed just because you have some dwarves tinkering around far, far above.

So yeah, the new system is to have a 60 or so tile flood out from your dwarves as they go underground, and any time they get within 30 tiles of the 60 tile flood (flags are kept when the flood got out to 30, roughly), it'll flood out again, picking up those flags and placing new ones, so it moves out in a kind of chunking way.  It doesn't move out continuously as that would be too slow, and it doesn't respect LOS for the same reason, but it does flood out around corridors and so on, so though you can see around corners, you don't completely overcome walls.

I thought it worked all right, certainly preferable to what it was doing before, though there is currently a bit of babysitting to do if you want a squad to explore an unexplored area, since they can't take orders to walk into a hidden zone.  Some new commands/actions will be necessary, probably.  It is a little strange to not know quite when it's going to expand your view, especially in more twisted areas, but I don't think the effect is all that bad.  I'm a little leery of doing LOS stuff, as it might clunk down in places with lots of corners if your squad is constantly on the move, like adv mode.  There could be something there though.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 04:57:49 pm by Footkerchief »

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: October 07, 2009, 04:56:17 pm »

This makes me really, really want to have digging, plant gathering, and butchering in Adventure mode. So, you know, my adventurer doesn't die from starvation/dehydration after traveling for days through the underworld.

Also:
Will it be possible to start a fortress on top of the 100% mountain areas in the next version? Can adventurers travel over mountain tiles on the world map?
It would be nice if fortresses had more starting location choices (lol moria recreation) and to have a dwarven civ start in the middle of a mountain range, a true mountain-home. It really sucks when you're scrolling for a place to start a fortress and find an awsome 4x4 or 5x5, but all the tiles are mountains and you can't embark (or you spend weeks walking around a interloping mountain range between you and your cave critter kill quest location)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: October 07, 2009, 06:42:18 pm »

Your fears are allayed partially by the fact that "good locations" won't REQUIRE mountainous terrain anymore.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: October 07, 2009, 07:03:38 pm »

But I agree that the best location would be actually bridging under an actually impassable impassable mountain.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: October 07, 2009, 07:16:36 pm »

Maybe halving the distance the flags travel to 15 feet per activation would make more sense. But I'm sure you have put alot of though into this, Toady.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: October 07, 2009, 11:01:41 pm »

Tunneling enemies, remember?  Although that means you could get HFS after having not dug at all, I guess.

This could work if Tunneling enemies had a "preferred" stone types to dig through. Since they're always encapsulated in Adamantine, you could just set they're tunneling preferences to "Never dig through adamantine, but it's OK to dig through anything else" and you could have the best of both worlds.

This makes perfect sense to me. In lore terms, you could think of it this way:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like this; make it canon.
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 1065