Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627855 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5355 on: October 05, 2009, 11:44:36 am »

Actually, that might be the reason Elf attacks in worldgen suffer such high casualties. They're probably dropping dead as they run, the others think it's some magic and retreat after killing a few defenders.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: October 05, 2009, 12:35:38 pm »

Actually, that might be the reason Elf attacks in worldgen suffer such high casualties. They're probably dropping dead as they run, the others think it's some magic and retreat after killing a few defenders.

of course not. elves just suck.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: October 05, 2009, 12:37:15 pm »

In the latest Dev post, Toady mentioned solving the flooding problems in the underground caverns. I'm wondering what the problems were and how they were solved. I've had some trouble recently with z-levels that don't build up pressure due to sea level or aquifer levels, and if these little pressureless z-levels become scattered over the map, it might make plumbing extremely confusing.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: October 05, 2009, 12:47:52 pm »

P.S. I thought eating a dragon's heart made you talk like Sean Connery.  Discuss.
I thought that was acting as if you had an apple in your mouth.

As to cephalo, I image it more as some cavities are filled with water but the process does not get every connection to the cavity, thus causing the water to spill out and into cavities that were not meant to be flooded.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: October 05, 2009, 05:06:22 pm »

In the latest Dev post, Toady mentioned solving the flooding problems in the underground caverns. I'm wondering what the problems were and how they were solved. I've had some trouble recently with z-levels that don't build up pressure due to sea level or aquifer levels, and if these little pressureless z-levels become scattered over the map, it might make plumbing extremely confusing.

I believe these would be the new caverns we've only seen screenshots of, as opposed to anything that's been released.  Sounds like you're relating this to your experience with the released version.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: October 05, 2009, 05:18:13 pm »

All that talk of cavities makes me wonder how long it will be until healthcare extends to Dwarven dentistry.
It must, of course, be done with pliers.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: October 05, 2009, 05:29:52 pm »

All that talk of cavities makes me wonder how long it will be until healthcare extends to Dwarven dentistry.
It must, of course, be done with pliers by the hammerer.
'Dwerfed up.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: October 05, 2009, 06:41:37 pm »

Toady, will the new underground caverns affect the way goblins and dwarves build tunnels during worldgen?  In the current version, they'll build bridges over rivers or pits, do they still do this?

Also, will bottomless pits still look the same (giant cylindrical shafts,) or will they be more organically integrated with the new caverns?
Fefeshnelmargalip

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: October 05, 2009, 06:44:41 pm »

Will the currency in Dwarf Fortress ever receive an official name?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: October 05, 2009, 07:08:47 pm »

Whatever a given civilization calls it is it's given name.  All nations and kingdoms adopt their own official names for currency after all.  I've always thought it a little silly how some games have one universal currency with a universal name; even we in the modern world are reticent against the concept.

I imagine it will always just be dwarfbucks, turtles, monies, or ☼, and even the last one is just a convenience for the program displays.  Same with dwarfpounds ( Γ ) and dwarfdegrees.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 07:10:32 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: October 05, 2009, 07:13:37 pm »

Also, will bottomless pits still look the same (giant cylindrical shafts,) or will they be more organically integrated with the new caverns?

Quote from: Heph
Toady will there be some sort of semi-chasms? So chasm like formations that lead into a cave(-lakes) rather then to the nothingness beyond - like if the ceiling of said cave just collapsed?

The bottomless chasms and pits are gone right now.  HFS might involve them, who knows?  But in any case the vertical connections will all be finite (haven't done them yet), though before climbing we're aiming on making most or all of the adventurer accessible.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: October 05, 2009, 07:23:17 pm »

Whatever a given civilization calls it is it's given name.  All nations and kingdoms adopt their own official names for currency after all.  I've always thought it a little silly how some games have one universal currency with a universal name; even we in the modern world are reticent against the concept.

I imagine it will always just be dwarfbucks, turtles, monies, or ☼, and even the last one is just a convenience for the program displays.  Same with dwarfpounds ( Γ ) and dwarfdegrees.

I understand that from an in-game perspective, it's more realistic to have the currency named by the various kingdoms, but when talking about it here on the forums, I kind of don't like having to look at a unicode table to get the ☼ symbol, and calling it dwarfbucks sounds silly.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: October 05, 2009, 08:08:21 pm »

Mr. Dwarfbuck would be a cool dude.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: October 05, 2009, 08:10:38 pm »

I understand that from an in-game perspective, it's more realistic to have the currency named by the various kingdoms, but when talking about it here on the forums, I kind of don't like having to look at a unicode table to get the ☼ symbol, and calling it dwarfbucks sounds silly.

You say that like sounding silly is a bad thing.  Although dwarfdegrees is a little clunky.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: October 05, 2009, 08:11:30 pm »

No no, they're all turtles.
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 1065