Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627911 times)

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5325 on: October 04, 2009, 08:32:18 pm »

AbacusWizard, the difference is, I doubt any of those actually worked.

Even when using modern antidotes it's vital to know what kind poison/disease/whatever subject is suffering of, or in worst cases the antidote itself might kill the subject, if he doesn't have the poison/disease/whatever antidote is aimed at.

I'm sure modern hospitals have the means and tests to analyze poisons and diseases, but I highly doubt you could make an identification in DF-level hospitals before the poisoned dwarf is already dead from the effects.

I'm against antidotes :-) Natural reistance developed via continued/repeated exposure is much better way to prevent these things, in my opinion.

*edit* I think the issue becomes more relevant when diseases come into play. Especially ones that are highly contagious and highly deadly. I think quarantine/burning corpses is the best treatment there. Well, I think DF players might actually upgrade the "burn corpses" -method into "burn alive with magma" -method, but you get my point.

Population control > fancy medicines. Fancy medicines are BORING. Population control...fun.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:38:03 pm by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: October 04, 2009, 09:10:28 pm »

What I'm waiting for is particular paranoid dwarves dosing themselves regularly with poison to build up their resistance.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: October 04, 2009, 09:45:14 pm »

What I'm waiting for is particular paranoid dwarves dosing themselves regularly with poison to build up their resistance.

If poison and contaminants interact properly, it might be possible to have a chained venombeast spray poison all over your food supply and force your dwarves to build up resistance. The only problem here, of course, is that the chances of your dwarves running into another spraying-poisonbeast might be fairly low.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: October 04, 2009, 09:49:19 pm »

The only problem here, of course, is that the chances of your dwarves running into another spraying-poisonbeast might be fairly low.

I'm sure players will fix that with a mod or two. If not, I'll have to start learning that stuff just to get more poison-creatures into my fortresses!
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: October 04, 2009, 10:05:33 pm »

The Dread Pirate Urist spent five years building up an immunity to giant cave spider venom powder.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: October 04, 2009, 10:08:27 pm »

AHEM.
I think you got that backwards: at least amethyst has the advantage of actually existing.
Anyhow who cares about the real world?

Advantage? The fact that amethyst exists means that the claim is falsifiable. On the other hand, you can't possibly claim to know that unicorn horn doesn't cure poison.

As long as legendary creatures exist in the game, they may as well have (eventually) some special properties or powers that tie in to the original legends.

While I'm at it, bathing in dragonsblood causes your skin to become impenetrable to weapons, and eating the tongue (or was it the heart?) of a dragon grants the ability to understand the language of birds.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: October 04, 2009, 10:22:18 pm »

Best part about using unicorn horn as antidote? The dwarven way of administering probably involves stabbing the sick dwarves with it. Maybe even while it's still attached to the unicorn.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: October 05, 2009, 12:04:52 am »

Repeated exposure only builds up resistance for certain types of poisons.  Repeated exposure to a lot of poisons (I'd guess most types) only results in you getting chronic poisoning from them--rather worse than if you had only been exposed once.  Think lead, ddt, and asbestos for examples.  And any number of poisons are actually WORSE for you on the second exposure.  Allergens like bee stings are a classic example.  First exposure primes the immune system, and then subsequently it goes crazy if it sees that substance.  Although exposure of the immune system to dirt and other unsanitary things early in life does provide a resistance to allergic reactions later on.  And infectious diseases do typically follow the "exposure->resistance" pattern.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: October 05, 2009, 01:04:18 am »

Plus building resistance is a process that can take months or years, even then you may not actually have immunity just resistance.

So sure, your immune to a snake bite (specific snake). Two could kill you

Plus many of them arn't a pernament resistance but one that must be continued throughout your life.

which is really why I support a generalised poison resistance along with specific resistance. Even though it doesn't follow reality exactly.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:17:26 am by Neonivek »

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: October 05, 2009, 01:30:15 am »

Preemptive fanart

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: October 05, 2009, 01:45:38 am »

People are getting further and further away from the original concept. (assuming those birds are what I think they are)

Also WOW that second bird looks like Big Bird in that frame.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: October 05, 2009, 03:26:18 am »

Best part about using unicorn horn as antidote? The dwarven way of administering probably involves stabbing the sick dwarves with it. Maybe even while it's still attached to the unicorn.

I'm picturing a dwarf slowly turning purple trying to cure himself by goading a unicorn into charging at him.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: October 05, 2009, 03:37:17 am »

Given a choice between impalement and a slow death from poison destroying my nerve centres, I pick impalement.

Also: unicorn power!
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: October 05, 2009, 05:22:47 am »

Anyhow I think more specifically a Unicorn's horn has the ability to purify water (or remove poisons from water)

Knowing this, in technical terms an extract made of Unicorn injected into the body would be quite deadly as it "Purifies" your entire body.

Though no point in debating mythology as there is no "True mythology".

Though good luck even catching Unicorns once the game goes Spherical :P
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:32:29 am by Neonivek »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: October 05, 2009, 06:20:52 am »

Heh. First it was "flat", then "cubical", now "spherical". What's the next update going to be, "tesseractic"?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 1065