Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627931 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5250 on: October 03, 2009, 01:22:56 pm »

I suppose there may be other symptoms of poison (like, how about "Death"?  Or something like "Heart failure", "Braindeath" or something) which weren't in the one shown.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: October 03, 2009, 01:38:12 pm »

The new raws are great and all...  and the new attack definitions are awesome...  but my little mod management program is going to have to be version-specific again. No way I'll be able to detect the placement of all those tabbed segments without closing tags. (and I'm pretty sure the tabbings aren't even required)

And one more, is the "BITE" attack in any way tied to the presence of teeth? Because for one, it would eventually be nice to have monsters with adamantine teeth, and it would also be odd if you slashed off the giant snake's poison teeth and still had its bite poison you.

Would the "tabbed segments" be that hard to handle?  I don't know how Modbase works right now, but can't you just use an XML document to define permitted sub-tags for each tag?  Those shouldn't be all that version-specific.

Bite attacks do use teeth in some fashion, yeah.  Toady mentioned a bug where a creature "was using every part of its head (eyes, nose, etc.), not just its teeth, for the biting. After I fixed that up, it was still using its teeth like little needles and piercing brains and so on."  I'm not sure how it knows to use the teeth though.  The teeth might have some special BP flag for bite attacks, or maybe it does something clever with BP position relationships.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nope, body size works as Knight Otu described.

If by attack accuracy you mean the ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC, I believe that deals with how much of the "surface area" of the attacking body part makes contact.

I suppose there may be other symptoms of poison (like, how about "Death"?  Or something like "Heart failure", "Braindeath" or something) which weren't in the one shown.

Toady mentioned "pain, swelling, oozing wounds, bruising, blisters, numbness, paralysis, fever, bleeding, coughing/vomiting blood, nausea, vomiting, unconsciousness, necrosis, impaired vision, drowsiness and dizziness as a starter set, with some possible extensions as they arise. If it makes sense, you'll be able to move those effects around from the initial site (for say contact or injection) to body parts by category/function (so you could have something cause headaches, for example, or make the gums bleed... one of the wikipedia snakes had that... not my fault)."  I had forgotten that vomiting blood was already in that list.  It's a long list.  Anyway, you could have a poison that induces heart necrosis or brain hemorrhaging.  Braindeath itself is a consequence of poison, not a mechanism of action.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:04:49 pm by Footkerchief »

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: October 03, 2009, 02:09:34 pm »

Not really related to the current conversation but:
Will the next release have the same speed as 40d16? Going back to 40d, I realize I've gotten spoiled..
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: October 03, 2009, 02:24:21 pm »

^^^ Yeah, there's an item for that under the "Final" section of the List: "Merge with the 40d# stuff."  As long as it's stable enough, that should all go in.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: October 03, 2009, 04:32:58 pm »

I would have thought Toady would have included Bleeding in that caused by Blood Thinning.

Some types of Snake bites cause internal bleeding from the viens bleeding blood into the soft tissues.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: October 03, 2009, 04:46:39 pm »

I would have thought Toady would have included Bleeding in that caused by Blood Thinning.

Some types of Snake bites cause internal bleeding from the viens bleeding blood into the soft tissues.

This would probably be simulated by bruising of internal tissues, especially those related to circulation.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: October 03, 2009, 04:56:49 pm »

Can you die of bruising?

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: October 03, 2009, 05:11:53 pm »

I always thought bruising and internal bleeding were pretty much the same thing.  However, upon looking it up on wikipedia, this might not be the case.

Still, serious bruises can be severe.  And technically the brain can be bruised, with the possibility of coma and/or death.  So technically bruising can cause death, if it happens to your brain.  Perhaps other internal organs as well.  Wikipedia isn't very clear on that point, at least with a cursory read through.  There is a pretty cool chart about the severity of bruises, though.

Edit: I'm dumb.  Below the article it links to pulmonary contusions and myocardial contusions, which are bruises to lungs and hearts, respectively.  I would guess that they could be fatal.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:13:56 pm by Sunday »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: October 03, 2009, 05:15:36 pm »

Bruising is the fracturing of small veins I believe.

Though there is still a difference between Blood Thinning and Sevear Bruising.

Though when I think about it I am surprised there arnt Leisions (small cuts) either... though that may be limited to diseases and not poisons/toxins.

Though there is a lot about Toxins/Venoms/Poisons not included there. So it leaves me to believe that it really isn't finished yet.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:17:49 pm by Neonivek »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: October 03, 2009, 05:17:04 pm »

A bruised brain can be quite dangerous, so are bruised kidneys and other internal organs.
Just bruised skin and muscles don't really rate as dangerous, you might die of shock though if bruising (the application of b.) contiunues for long enough. Torture IS dangerous if done inexpertly.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: October 03, 2009, 05:20:38 pm »

Bruising is the fracturing of small veins I believe.

Though there is still a difference between Blood Thinning and Sevear Bruising.

Yep.  This is true.  If Toady hasn't added in blood thinning (is that anemia?  Or something else?), perhaps he will in a future update.  I'm not sure what the symptoms would be, though - perhaps general tiredness & hugely increased vulnerability to other wounds/poisons?  With the possibility of a critical, dangerous health complication sometime down the road?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: October 03, 2009, 05:23:53 pm »

Will how kings and queens come to power be changed to reflect actual monarchies? Like when a king or queen dies, their oldest child or the nearest of kin becomes the new monarch.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: October 03, 2009, 05:25:46 pm »

I only know the worst concequence of Blood Thinning which is someone bleeds to death because their blood enters their soft tissues instead of circulating around the body.. weak blood thinning probably isn't too dangerous.

Anemia refers to a deficiancy of blood (blood loss. Extreme blood loss is Hyperanemia) but can be caused by low iron, though I wouldn't be surprised if there could be other causes. So a Poison that actually just causes Anemia without bleeding (a type of Hemotoxin that does low damage to other tissues) makes some sense.

Ill try to check if there is any concequence for blood entering soft tissues for the tissues themselves.

Edit Addition: Also If the blood is thin, a wound won't close up. So even if it doesn't get to the criticle "Tissue bleed to death" it could easily get to the "Otherwise minor wound won't stop bleeding and you bleed to death that way".
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:48:44 pm by Neonivek »

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: October 03, 2009, 06:16:56 pm »

Will elves be able to talk to or tame these beasts, then use them in wars and sieges like goblins use trolls?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: October 03, 2009, 06:18:41 pm »

Will elves be able to talk to or tame these beasts, then use them in wars and sieges like goblins use trolls?

That would certainly be interesting if Elves could tame creatures on the spot just by speaking to them.

(Also found out Leisions are a type of necrosis... if I am reading these things correctly... I could be wrong)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:24:17 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 1065