Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3628061 times)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5235 on: October 03, 2009, 08:47:22 am »

Raw spoliers ahead!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:58:25 am by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: October 03, 2009, 08:55:31 am »

The new raws are great and all...  and the new attack definitions are awesome...  but my little mod management program is going to have to be version-specific again. No way I'll be able to detect the placement of all those tabbed segments without closing tags. (and I'm pretty sure the tabbings aren't even required)

Though I guess that's part of a good challenge. My "Dr.More-Oh" mod is royally screwed anyway, unless I pull off a scripting language.

Anyway. Yay for custom poisons! And HOW custom! With how detailed all this stuff has become, it's almost possible to see Basilisks! Or a Castlevania-like Catoblepas. That has a breath weapon that is a contact poison that has the effect of gradually transforming your body's materials to stone. I mean instantly transforming, but tissue layer by tissue layer, part by part. That would be very neat.

Also, on custom attacks. There are a few tags I'd like to ask you to consider. ATTACK_STATE, ATTACK_TARGETSTATE, and ATTACK_CHARGE. The first two to determine the state you, or your opponent have to be in for the attack to be available (standing, prone, flying, swimming), and the third to explicitly designate the attack as a charge, foregoing the "You charge at" message and going to the attack text.
This is mainly for a reincarnation of my Martial Arts mod, with animals pouncing, or alternative attacks with specific flavor text (because roundhouse kicking a prone opponent is troublesome, as is trying to do it while swimming, for example).

And one more, is the "BITE" attack in any way tied to the presence of teeth? Because for one, it would eventually be nice to have monsters with adamantine teeth, and it would also be odd if you slashed off the giant snake's poison teeth and still had its bite poison you.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: October 03, 2009, 09:07:57 am »

Raw spoliers ahead!

This is exactly what I thought.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5238 on: October 03, 2009, 11:21:30 am »

The Deep Crow is one of the few things that, while never connected with DF, is inherently Dwarfy.

Hm...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: October 03, 2009, 12:13:29 pm »

Oh? We get critter descriptions in raws now? Good stuff. Maybe now we can finally figure out what fluffy wamblers and those other assorted strange things are.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: October 03, 2009, 12:22:47 pm »

There is a LOT about the new flags I can't put my head around. Though I'd suspect that Toady is eventually going to inform us.

What he has shown us so far shows how much he has worked on these raws (I didn't even know one was ready already) but just as much how far he has left to go.

Several things actually stuck out to me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: October 03, 2009, 12:29:21 pm »

Spoiler: Poison? (click to show/hide)

Good Lord is this going to be complicated.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: October 03, 2009, 12:34:00 pm »

At least it isn't going to change, just be added to.

Though it does increase the value on some sort of RAW Generator.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: October 03, 2009, 12:38:25 pm »

I think that the numbers are the base chance, as usual. Agility and armor will factor in. Some attacks of a creature may be more accurate than others, so it's there.

I can't help but note how poison immunity can be made caste-specific. I foresee some pretty awful modded poisons, like a "giant black widow poison" that kills only males...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: October 03, 2009, 12:39:12 pm »

Wait, so the poison has specific effects, as well as timed effects that kick in at certain times and phase out at others?  That's totally awesome.

And it looks like that poison wouldn't be deadly in its own right, but if you were to fall unconscious in front of a beast like that...

Although the Dizzyness in that poison seems a bit redundant, since the creature would be unconscious throughout the entire time it would be dizzy.  Same goes to pain for some extent - the creature would only wake up for the very last bit of the pain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: October 03, 2009, 12:46:06 pm »

And it looks like that poison wouldn't be deadly in its own right

I don't know... Long lasting 100% Severity blood vomiting. You could bleed to death that way.

Oddly enough I expected "Spasms" to be a symptom

As for "Redundant" it might become less redundant against creatures who don't go unconscious or if you resisted unconsciousness somehow.

Though I fully expect redundant effects.

Though what about stacking effects? That would be interesting. Imagine a poison that gives immediate intense pain... then mild pain for months later.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:53:21 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: October 03, 2009, 12:52:29 pm »

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:57:13 pm by Leafsnail »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: October 03, 2009, 12:57:13 pm »

Yeah... and I suppose it could choke you if you did it while in 100 severity unconsciousness.

Ohh yeah I forgot about that as well. Though I highly doubt Toady added that in. (It is quite tragic in real life)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: October 03, 2009, 01:04:30 pm »

Although the Dizzyness in that poison seems a bit redundant, since the creature would be unconscious throughout the entire time it would be dizzy.  Same goes to pain for some extent - the creature would only wake up for the very last bit of the pain.

I noticed that as well. I suppose part of it is the randomness in the creation process - making sure that the overlaps make sense might not be easily implemented, given that there are at least four, and probably more, syndromes, and the timespans include a peak. On the other hand, these effects are all resistable, seemingly separate from each other. So a creature might resist falling unconscious, but still become dizzy later on. That makes it theoretically significant.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: October 03, 2009, 01:17:26 pm »

If "having, like, six legs and breathe poisonous gas that makes your skin rot off and stuff" isn't intereasting, what would you say IS interesting?
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 1065