Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3628121 times)

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5145 on: September 29, 2009, 04:46:15 pm »

The shelled vomit creature thing sounds frightening enough that I'm not sure I WANT it gone. A bit over the top, though. Maybe.

hmmm that gives me an idea for a question...

Toady,

also on an unrelated note to the above question... currently when my hammerdwarfs punt goblins across the map they chase them as they fly through the air (ignoring other now nearer targets)... but I can't see the goblins wounds or anything else.

In this new version will we be able to give military dwarfs priorities for types of targets. Attack nearest target, pick a target and make sure it's dead before moving on (even if it moves away)... attack ranged targets first... that sort of thing.
I know we'll be able to give specific kill orders, but I'd love to see my hammerdwarfs punch a hole in the goblin line so that the axedwarfs can charge the goblin bowmen at the back with out to much micromanaging.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:01:53 pm by kiffer.geo »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: September 29, 2009, 05:02:37 pm »

I figured the randomised monsters would be saved as standard raws after world gen, never considered they might be generated on the fly for each encounter and only exist in memory/savefile data.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: September 29, 2009, 05:18:48 pm »

I doubt they're generated "on the fly", since they have to be around during worldgen. The question is whether or not they're saved to any sort of raw file.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: September 29, 2009, 05:31:08 pm »

I doubt they're generated "on the fly", since they have to be around during worldgen. The question is whether or not they're saved to any sort of raw file.

They could be since they have no ability to alter world events until you in a way find them.

Though I also doubt they are generated on the fly.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: September 29, 2009, 05:43:28 pm »

I assumed that they are generated as part of worldgen... but that doesn't mean they'll be dumped to a raw file... otherwise we could just open up the file and read them before we ever find them in game... which would be too easy.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: September 29, 2009, 05:45:57 pm »

They could be since they have no ability to alter world events until you in a way find them.

How do you figure that, as opposed to them just existing like other megabeasts?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: September 29, 2009, 05:48:59 pm »

the compiled-version object files that the raws produce, then- Toady has said that they would be world-dependent.

which...thinking...would be entirely necessary for these. Tht it allows you to run mods without producing multiple copies is a side beefit.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: September 29, 2009, 05:49:33 pm »

kiffer.geo:
being able to recreate or simulate ancient siege defenses has a lot to do with realistic terrain, then there is the whole digging into rock type stuff dealing with the science of tunnels and mines, which is all geology.  so if you are so inclined i would second that vote for you to write up what you know, at the very least it will be an interesting read.

I'm giving it some thought... I'm fairly busy this week but I think I'll try to put together some geology ideas over in the suggestions forum.
I'm sure there must be more geologist types around here...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: September 29, 2009, 06:02:15 pm »

Uhh I probably should Spoiler this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: September 29, 2009, 06:43:19 pm »

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: September 29, 2009, 06:50:12 pm »

Been trying to read this thread as much as possible so I haven't seen this question. I understand that a fully fledged megabeast maker integrated into arena mode might be out for now. But can we get something like a "Generate randomized megabeast" button in arena? Maybe have it controlled by init.txt and default to off.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: September 29, 2009, 06:59:04 pm »

Uhh I probably should Spoiler this

I've been paying attention, listened to the DF Talk casts, etc., and I'm not really sure where you get this impression. If you have a source (or anyone else does), I'd like to see it though.

All I know is that they're part of the underground, which is world-spanning.

Also, even if they exist in isolation beforehand, it makes conceptual sense to generate them when they should be generated in worldgen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: September 29, 2009, 07:12:38 pm »

Ill submit that I have memory problems so Ill go look into where I think I've heard of it. Which would be the Spoiler.

Also I do think they are generated in World Gen. I just meant that I don't think they show until found possibly even if you set them to show (possibly because they are considered inactive until found)

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: September 29, 2009, 07:35:13 pm »

Question:

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: September 29, 2009, 08:11:22 pm »

Also...

The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 1065