Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3628205 times)

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5115 on: September 29, 2009, 03:06:43 am »

especially if you can fit the rope to a winch to make a vertical drawbridge. then i could have my soldiers drop pod on to kittens, slaughter the puny goblins and then climb a tiny rope 20 z-levels high back to my sky-fortress.
feels dwarfy, man
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: September 29, 2009, 05:19:01 am »

The Great Blob of Living Vomit with a Round Shell

This puts DF to a whole new paradigm of Lovecraftianesque madness. Unless we go insane waiting for the new release, then it will look very mainstream. :D

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: September 29, 2009, 05:53:12 am »

hmm, that creature with wings of stretched skin makes me think of the creature layers and products overhaul. dreaming of a day when i can have my adventurer pitch a rope reed tent and recline on a bedroll of grizzly bear furs and a stuffed-cat pillow.
Also in dwarf mode making my 'Noble Treatment Room (TM)' built as a homage to Silent Hill, with walls of stretched skin (goblin skin blocks) and a bone floodgate that opens to reveal a randomized megabeast horror!
I'm thinking a dwarf-sized monster with a huge hammer and a pig tail pyramid on his head. heh, this never was a kid's game, was it?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: September 29, 2009, 07:31:02 am »

Sounds like adventure mode in the new caverns is going to be MUCH more fun with the random critters down there. You'd never really know just what you will run into next.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: September 29, 2009, 07:34:52 am »

Great blob of living vomit with a round shell...  sounds like a very dwarven pinata.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: September 29, 2009, 07:45:41 am »

Funny, I just read that and thought..."Oysters?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #5121 on: September 29, 2009, 08:00:15 am »

All of this stuff seems so cool! I feel all tingly inside.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: September 29, 2009, 08:46:28 am »

Funny, I just read that and thought..."Oysters?"

I think Oysters are already in the game....

I can certainly envision D&D style dungeon crawls in adventure mode with random and I mean literally random, creatures showing up.

Although, I wonder if the random creatures are going to be different for each region, like each cavern system 'biome' has it's own ecosystem of critters. Actually, was Toady talking about semi-megas and megabeasts or wildlife when he was talking about these because then there is the problem of actually naming them.

Also, would it be possible to make it so that these new random critters are tameable and breed? It would make for some interesting artifacts and other stuff made from the materials from these.

The flying hairy ribbon worm sounds like something out of science fiction as an alien creature, or something out of a horror movie.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: September 29, 2009, 11:16:55 am »

The shelled vomit creature thing sounds frightening enough that I'm not sure I WANT it gone. A bit over the top, though. Maybe.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: September 29, 2009, 11:54:31 am »

Also, would it be possible to make it so that these new random critters are tameable and breed? It would make for some interesting artifacts and other stuff made from the materials from these.

If these are creatures new and unknown to the dwarfs as well as to the player, it would be best to handle it with a bit of mystery. Let any unknown critter have the option of being tamed as a job, but don't reveal whether it's actually tame until you let it out...

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: September 29, 2009, 12:14:37 pm »

If these are creatures new and unknown to the dwarfs as well as to the player, it would be best to handle it with a bit of mystery. Let any unknown critter have the option of being tamed as a job, but don't reveal whether it's actually tame until you let it out...

From a sciency point of view, there's a set of requirements for a creature to be suitable for domestication.  One off them is a genetic history of human interaction (selective pressure to not view humans as food).  Another is having a herd or pack mentality (dogs and horses) that can be coopted by humans to place them as 'pack leaders'. 

Unique creatures wouldn't have either of these.  (So it'd be like 'taming' a tiger.  Sure it's friendly with you, and you feed it and love it and play ball with it, and then one day it randomly rips your arm off)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: September 29, 2009, 12:16:45 pm »

The shelled vomit creature thing sounds frightening enough that I'm not sure I WANT it gone. A bit over the top, though. Maybe.

As for me, I definitely want to see Lovecraftian horrors devouring my dwarves in the bowels of the underworld.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: September 29, 2009, 12:19:48 pm »

Indeed.  There was an ASCII art reward based on the same idea:

Code: [Select]
++g~~U~~C+++
Goblins in tattered rags pulled the chains with speed as the whips cracked. Slowly the gate rose revealing a grotesque creature bent on destruction. Its three eyes bounced on their stalks as the monster pulled itself forward on two huge, muscular arms. It came to a sudden halt as Ameltoss the wizard stepped into its path. Though he had raised it from a stinking poisonous egg, the wizard knew not whether he still commanded the beast. This was the final test. He raised his staff and commanded the monster to return to its lair. The creature's lips peeled back to reveal ten rows of razor sharp teeth. Ameltoss swallowed hard and shouted his command once more. Now was the moment of truth.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: September 29, 2009, 01:11:40 pm »

Apologies if its been answered before but how are the random creatures generated? Per underground area or a set amount of random creatures per world?

I.e: would we more likely see one world's chasms and caves populated by masses of the same randomly generated creatures or would we see completely different randomly generated critters wherever we go?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: September 29, 2009, 01:31:43 pm »

Judging from the spoilers adventure, it seems like the creatures will be unique megabeast-style creatures, not populations of them. This may have changed, of course.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 1065