Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3628191 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5085 on: September 27, 2009, 07:49:23 pm »

Ballistae are pretty much instakill, so I've heard.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: September 27, 2009, 07:52:12 pm »

There are Catapults and Balistae

Though I still don't know if they are a devistating attack or an instant kill.

Has anyone survived a hit?

I don't know about catapults, but a ballista hit can be survived, yeah.  Often it'll just tear off a limb or several and keep going.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: September 27, 2009, 07:54:35 pm »

Why was Underground Diversity locked and all that?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: September 27, 2009, 08:00:05 pm »

There are Catapults and Balistae

Though I still don't know if they are a devistating attack or an instant kill.

Has anyone survived a hit?

I don't know about catapults, but a ballista hit can be survived, yeah.  Often it'll just tear off a limb or several and keep going.

A catapult tends to be less lethal since it does blunt damage and apparently won't kill several things in a row with a single shot like ballistae sometimes do.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: September 27, 2009, 08:03:30 pm »

It hit Criticle mass and no longer served the original purpose of the thread?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: September 27, 2009, 08:12:55 pm »

It hit Criticle mass and no longer served the original purpose of the thread?

Yeah, that.  The last word on it was: "Toady has read the list and taken what he likes....mission accomplished."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: September 27, 2009, 08:31:52 pm »

Just testing something out before I even bother adding it to the suggestion forum
-Honestly there are many times I want to do this... but there doesn't seem to be a place for this. Would It just be the Suggestion forum or just the General forum?

What would everyone thing about Shields eventually becoming less magical forcefield and more like an actual shield?

Meaning that quite litterally you could be fighting a Goblin, have him hit your shield, and then having your arm broken and your shoulder dislocated.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: September 27, 2009, 08:46:54 pm »

or have some really good bows pinning your arm to your shield, not able to defend from two simultaneous projectiles from different angles (in history when the enemy reached a certain distance the front row fired straight on and the back rows fired upish to lob the shots from above).  then there is interlocking shields, synchronized pushing, and pavises.  there is a lot of stuff that can be done with shields that would be cool, i hope some of this sort of stuff happens when toady does a more in depth formation and fighting system.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: September 28, 2009, 06:03:00 am »

Though, I hear there are ways for bubbly caverns to form, if I remember a fantasy novel correctly (I pick up information in odd places)- if water is flowing through and rolls loose stone around, hollowing one out? I don't know if it's actual or not.

talking 'bout Sir Arthur Conan Doyles "The Terror of Blue John Gap"?
a mine shaft leading into a huge cavern system hollowed out by water. the whole thing is in a hill which is so hollow that it works like a giant bell sometimes.
dunno whether it's realistic or not, but hey, it's Doyle, and dwarf fortress has much more irrealistic things in it than stuff that Doyle has made up...
on the other hand... The Horror of the Height, which is actually so irrealistic that noone would fear it today...

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: September 28, 2009, 08:32:57 am »

I tryed to calculate the number of days left untill the next release plz feel free to throw your «pig tail shoe» at me for being wrong and what not.

Well here is how i went:
I took the number of remaining items left for toady to code
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
multiplied it by the number of days toady gets done with one item which seems like three days to me ( 53x3 ) and divided it by the number of days a month has (which is 53x3 / 30) and from this formula I concluded that it would take ABOUT 5,3 months untill release.
Comments are most welcome and please dont kill me if i did something horribly wrong its 23:30 here  ;D .
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:39:22 am by bluephoenix »

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #5095 on: September 28, 2009, 09:22:34 am »

That sounds about right.
Toady knows how to get things done.

I think a factor of 2.5 would be closer to the actual completion time per item.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19:25 am »

Well he has finished 116 items in about 250 days (+ some remaining items are partially done/will be skipped) so closest number would probably be item/2 days. => 3,5 months

(Of course this doesn't make much sense because time used per item varies wildly)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: September 28, 2009, 10:46:42 am »

I don't think it'd take too much time (during site generation) to eat out caves, inject (and cool) magma into the right kinds of rocks and through in a few fault slides....

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: September 28, 2009, 10:55:08 am »

Yea, the new cavern systems are suppoused to look like natural caves and not the labrynthine maze that looks like it was made by dwarves on crack or something.

Although cavern systems take thousands to millions of years to form and those dike features are on a similar time scale. Still, we can always say that the whole worldgen and erosion is several hundred thousand to a few million years of erosion squished down into a brief time-frame. The generating the world part really doesn't take very long, just a few minutes, it's the legends and history generation that takes longer.

It should be pretty cool to view the cavern systems in a program like Visual Fortress.

I wonder what the progress is on the 'rope ladders', if there is any yet as I think that is what Toady is working on atm.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: September 28, 2009, 11:08:01 am »

3,5 months

Interesting, may I see a grid of this movement? I don't remember the X,Y of the current location.

Note: Oddly enough I made this post originally going to ask what the "," was... I opted for this rather unfunny joke instead.
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 1065