Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3629421 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5010 on: September 25, 2009, 03:47:51 am »

I rambled about this a dozen or two dozen posts ago, and Toady said a bunch about it in response

Link?

Ah yuss, this wall of text here
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30026.msg776224#msg776224

Edit: weird, I was sure he actually said more than that. Maybe it was somewhere else at the same time?*goes forum spelunking*

Edit edit: ah, the mighty Footkerchief strikes again:

What new spheres do you think you'll add? Could you go into some of what you think sphere-curses would be like?

Sphere curses did come up in the last DF Talk, in case you missed it:

Rainseeker:   [3]Let's talk about spheres for a second. Are the zombies, skeletons, undead and such; are they going to appear only in the undead region sphere now? Or will they come in other areas too.
Toady:   It depends on one of those things we were talking about, like do undead have souls, and what is the undead? If it's somebody combing partially back to life then it could be any sphere that's related to death or rebirth even; it's kind of weird to have the sphere of rebirth have undead things but it's possible.
Rainseeker:   They're good zombies, maybe.
Toady:   Yeah, they're good zombies, with little fairy hats and stuff ... whatever a fairy hat is. But then there's the notion of just animating a corpse, and that's the purview of death or if brooms and stuff are also moving around then it's more of a regular magical thing. But there's also the notion of having some kind of spirits from the underworld populate the body, then that could be any kind of evil.
Ampersand:   There's also another concept of it being a disease that is passed between individuals.
Toady:   Yeah, there's the viral zombie model ... [and] there's also the radiation zombie model I guess. So the viral thing, I don't know ... are they dead? Or are they ...
Capntastic:   Their brain's just messed up by like ...
Toady:   Yeah, viruses. I guess what the 28 Days Later model is it's just sort of a viral rage thing, but they aren't actually dead; is that correct? And then they starve to death. So any of those is fair game as they come up. Now, the undead that'll come in at first; I still have evil regions in this release so things will probably be the same as they were before, and then as I move over to sphere-based regions then at first it's going to be just kind of a death thing I guess, and to make them fairly common those will just be common areas. The whole idea of undead in general is going to be generalised to the notion of a curse, and that could just be some random sphere thing: there could just be a bunch of fire dear, and fire elk, and fire chipmunks and the fire man; that's kind of the cheesy thing that you'd expect out of the game after a while. Of course we can get more sophisticated but you don't start there. Then there's these notions of things like infectious diseases and so on, which we were going to do - not as undead or anything - but just the notion of an infectious disease was going to be part of this release with the venoms, but it was one of those things I had to red out on the list, that I couldn't do diseases because I don't have the time. But anything that's red on that list is pretty much fair game on the short term so I'm not sure what's going on after this. But you can start to move to more and more sophisticated disease models - not just models of their spread which aren't ever going to be that sophisticated in Dwarf Fortress - but just their effects, as we get more and more venom effects and so on; that could actually ... like if you had a venom that can alter your behaviour then you can have a disease that can alter your behaviour. We already have berserker dwarves, so it wouldn't be that far of a step to have a venom and then an infectious disease that can make you berserk, and then you've essentially arrived at the 28 Days Later model.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: September 25, 2009, 04:15:33 am »

Will the new cavernous formations be adjustable through worldgen? Meaning, adjustable for depth, size, "cavernousness"?

They'll be adjustable for frequency at least.

That said, this was also one of those world gen param thingies...  some people wanted hidden out-of-place civilizations at every turn, some people wanted something that felt like 2D, some people wanted *something* as long as there was something, and I'm sure there are a few quiet people out there that just want to dig in the rock and not be bothered by weird crap at all with the possible exception of a few outside threats.  I'm going to try to keep it versatile.
Quote from: Outcast Orange
Will the underground stuff be found readily available on all map tiles?
Or will we have to search around and hope to get lucky?

If you've got the default parameters, there should be stuff wherever you start sufficient to make your life interesting, even if there'll be too much stuff for you to have everything all in one place.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: September 25, 2009, 10:24:42 am »

New person to the forum here. I've been following this thread for a while, but not had anything to say until now.

I'd like to see chunks of meltable (or otherwise self-degrading) material undergo the process slowly. Like, if there's a chunk of ice on the floor, it will slowly lose quality until it disappears, and at the same time there would be a puddle of water slowly forming underneath it.

If there was to be a major upgrade of melting physics, I'd much rather see the liquids produced use the flowing liquid system, instead of acting as a contaminant item. Adding quality levels to raw stone just for puddles is hard to justify, but who wouldn't want to see the option to go mining for ice to throw into a magma-heated cistern to keep the fortress' wells running? Or how about having to keep a close eye on how much stone you dump in the magma pool, to make sure you don't make it overflow...

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: September 25, 2009, 10:48:15 am »

Look at all that green, woo woo!

Xmas 2009 here we come!

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: September 25, 2009, 05:55:26 pm »

I'd like to see chunks of meltable (or otherwise self-degrading) material undergo the process slowly. Like, if there's a chunk of ice on the floor, it will slowly lose quality until it disappears, and at the same time there would be a puddle of water slowly forming underneath it.

If there was to be a major upgrade of melting physics, I'd much rather see the liquids produced use the flowing liquid system, instead of acting as a contaminant item. Adding quality levels to raw stone just for puddles is hard to justify, but who wouldn't want to see the option to go mining for ice to throw into a magma-heated cistern to keep the fortress' wells running? Or how about having to keep a close eye on how much stone you dump in the magma pool, to make sure you don't make it overflow...

Frankly I don't think a melting system such as that would be implemented until liquids had been revised enough that contaminants and flows were combined. Being able to use liquids such as beer in the same way as one can use water and lava is somewhat more in-demand.

Rafiki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: September 25, 2009, 07:48:35 pm »

I was wondering,
      Can there be partial-map aquifers with any of the new work on underground or regions/biomes/etc?
As it is now if your map covers two biomes, one with an aquifer, one without, then it will either have an aquifer across the whole map or no aquifer at all.  I think it'd be really useful(fun,interesting) and be more realistic if the partial aquifer followed the biomes on your map.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: September 25, 2009, 08:28:25 pm »

I was wondering,
      Can there be partial-map aquifers with any of the new work on underground or regions/biomes/etc?
As it is now if your map covers two biomes, one with an aquifer, one without, then it will either have an aquifer across the whole map or no aquifer at all.  I think it'd be really useful(fun,interesting) and be more realistic if the partial aquifer followed the biomes on your map.

If aquifers still behave as they do now, all it takes is one damp stone to FLOOD THE ENTIRE UNDERGROUND.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #5017 on: September 26, 2009, 03:53:25 am »

Since we can already export maps of a location, will there ever be a way to import them into new worlds?

The idea of being able import user-built cities and fortresses seems like a great way to enhance game play in a sort of "massively single player" kind of way. Especially if we are ever able to siege other civilizations.

You would probably have to adjust a city's terrain types, but importing during world gen would make elevation issues disappear.

Note: I may have suggested this idea elsewhere several months ago. I can't remember if I ever wrote it up.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: September 26, 2009, 04:29:39 am »

Frankly I don't think a melting system such as that would be implemented until liquids had been revised enough that contaminants and flows were combined. Being able to use liquids such as beer in the same way as one can use water and lava is somewhat more in-demand.

And on that day, we all have to start installing drainage grates at the fort entrance to avoid vomit flooding.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: September 26, 2009, 06:03:59 am »

And on that day, we all have to start installing drainage grates at the fort entrance to avoid vomit flooding.

Are you kidding? Who wouldn't want a moat of vomit?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: September 26, 2009, 06:25:14 am »

Urist has been ecstatic lately. He was comforted by a waterfull of vomit recently. He admired a tastefully arranged fountain of fat recently.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: September 26, 2009, 06:31:52 am »

The goblin squad made their way to Trovogeshud.
"ATTACK THE DWARVEN FORTRESS! HA!"
"Wait! What's this chamber we just go locked into?"
"OH GOD! THERE'S VOMIT EVERYWHERE! IT'S FILLING UP THE CHAMBER NO!"
*Gurk* *drown*

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: September 26, 2009, 07:13:53 am »

I wouldn't waste the precious vomit outside where it might dry out. The moat can have blood in it: far easier to replace.

How fluids mix would be tricky to handle. What happens if you pour a tile of booze into a tile of blood? A lot of the difficulties could be bypassed by making most mixtures could just produce a generic "filth" fluid, but it wouldn't work for everything.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: September 26, 2009, 08:43:00 am »

Will the new raws allow for [EDIBLE] tags on non-organic stuff ?[/b][/b]in other words, will we be able to mine for fish ?[/b][/color]
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: September 26, 2009, 08:57:02 am »

I wouldn't waste the precious vomit outside where it might dry out. The moat can have blood in it: far easier to replace.

How fluids mix would be tricky to handle. What happens if you pour a tile of booze into a tile of blood? A lot of the difficulties could be bypassed by making most mixtures could just produce a generic "filth" fluid, but it wouldn't work for everything.

anything that can't mix well could just go like water and oil......

speaking of which.....

BURNING MOATS!
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 1065