Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3629746 times)

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4965 on: September 24, 2009, 09:28:52 am »

All right, half the list categories are greened out. Hm... where is the progress bar guy :p ?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: September 24, 2009, 10:30:52 am »

Why are all of you in such a hurry to change the era of this game?
Because it's only one way of playing :). The more things we can make, the further the game engine may go. Total conversions are a great way to have different gaming experiences.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: September 24, 2009, 12:10:52 pm »

If I'd go and create a mod, It 'd probably be an apocalyptic world one.
You'd be able to build lasercarbines from a gem, a battery (extracted from glowy critters) and a tube.
F the world! etc
Dragonriders with lasers and rocketlaunchers attached. lol nah.

or a wizard's tower mod. have a wizard dwarf and a single servant. (if possible, otherwise several worksdwarfs/men to build the tower.) summon servants from any race. try to keep the peace inside the tower. create spells. compete with wizards from other spheres in their towers/pits.
Wizards will prob req quite some supporting code from Toady1 though.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: September 24, 2009, 12:13:47 pm »

I noticed a while back there was something mentioned about a lot of the names for stones and such were sounding too science-fictiony.  Would it be too far fetched to change the names to something that fits in more with the lore or setting?  Take microcline, for instance.  If I were a dwarf and I discovered this strange blue stone I'd probably call it "sky-stone" or "carp-stone" or something(I know carp aren't blue but they are in game).  If someone wants to know what it's really called they can look at the description and it could say something like "This is sky-stone, less commonly known as microcline."  On an interesting side note, cobaltite or cobalt originated from the word "kobold".  Might be fun to bring it back to it's origins and just call it "kobold-stone" or something similar.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: September 24, 2009, 12:23:16 pm »

I noticed a while back there was something mentioned about a lot of the names for stones and such were sounding too science-fictiony.  Would it be too far fetched to change the names to something that fits in more with the lore or setting?  Take microcline, for instance.  If I were a dwarf and I discovered this strange blue stone I'd probably call it "sky-stone" or "carp-stone" or something(I know carp aren't blue but they are in game).  If someone wants to know what it's really called they can look at the description and it could say something like "This is sky-stone, less commonly known as microcline."  On an interesting side note, cobaltite or cobalt originated from the word "kobold".  Might be fun to bring it back to it's origins and just call it "kobold-stone" or something similar.

Give arrows Burn damage and make them from a bright red material and you're on the right track for lasers.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: September 24, 2009, 12:38:48 pm »

invalid quote?

bolterguns would be more fitting with req ammo... for lasers I'd need an infinate ammotype or it'd be weird. (also finding spent laserbolts in the landscape)
oh magic wands! throwing fireballs or acid sprays etc.
would require binding of attacks to inanimate objects, plus activation of such actions if object is used by a living creature (to attack).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: September 24, 2009, 01:03:16 pm »

As far as lasers go, ruby is a common crystal that is used (and gives lasers a red color). I think anyways *checks wiki*... yea, in fact the first one used ruby.

Lasers and such are far beyond the tech level of DF by orders of centuries. Still, it would be pretty cool for a mod.

If the bolts were set to disintegrate on impact always, that could take care of 'laser bolts' lying around. As for an infinite source. What about instead of bolts themselves, make some object that is called a power cell or whatever and it has a limited number of uses before it is drained completely and it allows the weapon to generate laser bolts. Just how to do it or what to do with a spent power cell, I have no idea. However, the possibility is out there.

The day that we can smash walls, artillery (cannons mainly, but ballistias and catapults have this capability too) will become fun.

Although, wasn't it cannon that ended the age of castles?

Edit: Checked wiki and it did eventually bring about the end of the 'middle ages' era, among other things.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:06:29 pm by smjjames »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: September 24, 2009, 01:10:41 pm »

So, about that Dwarf Fortress.  It's something isn't it?

With Toady trying to quickly move down the list (more or less anyway), shall we begin a new round of wild prediction and speculations about how long the remaining items will take?  I'm only seeing "new" work under Squads and whatever he has left in Underground features.  The rest of the list is just a load of updates to make sure the game still works.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: September 24, 2009, 01:19:39 pm »

With Toady trying to quickly move down the list (more or less anyway), shall we begin a new round of wild prediction and speculations about how long the remaining items will take?  I'm only seeing "new" work under Squads and whatever he has left in Underground features.  The rest of the list is just a load of updates to make sure the game still works.

I vote for 3.141592 months.  Further precision will take more work on my part.

Hrm, 3.14 months is about what?  3 months and 4 days?  Therefore, I predict that the next release will be on the 28th of December.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: September 24, 2009, 01:23:11 pm »

Well, presuming you give the bolts a stupendously low survival rate, you could get away with "ruby laser bolts", most of the time.

And btw, a "laser bolt" weapon based on accelerating a hard crystalline needle with a photon beam makes a tiny bit more physical sense.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: September 24, 2009, 01:24:08 pm »

There still are a few tricksy items left in underground features...such as making sure caves interact with the features appropriately.

Anachronistic mod. in old final fantasy style; crashlanded aliens/humanoids under the earth, archeology unearthing ancient technologies, hibernating aliens, super metals, laser guns and magic. etcetc

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: September 24, 2009, 01:26:05 pm »

It depends on how quickly he will get through the rest of the stuff.

@Sean: The power cell would POWER the weapon based on a hard crystalline needle with a photon beam. You gotta have some sort of power source for it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: September 24, 2009, 01:29:05 pm »

All right, half the list categories are greened out. Hm... where is the progress bar guy :p ?

Yeah that thing was awesome.  It would have been even cooler if it was an animation showing progress since the list started, with a frame for each day or something, although that's not possible now.

This issue came up recently:

I don't want the game to sound too science-fictiony, even if it was unavoidable for minerals where I didn't have better names (everybody's favorite microcline is an example of one that sounds a little too sciency for my tastes in the fantasy game).

I agree that dwarves shouldn't always know the "official" name of the stone.  Materials will have detailed color descriptors now (including a built-in verbal description of the color), so it would be easy for the game to simply display "chartreuse stone" or whatever.  Maybe it could remain unidentified (and with unknown value) until your miner reaches a high enough level, or until a professional geologist arrives (although the name "geologist" has similar problems with modern connotations).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:31:37 pm by Footkerchief »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: September 24, 2009, 01:38:26 pm »

I think I'd prefer to have different minerals all have the same name, just different colors.  I.E. Microcline is the name for a specific kind of Feldspar.  Why not have the display name be 'Feldspar' and it's just the blue Feldspar.  That way, budding geolgist players could ferret it out from the raws, but the people who don't care would just know it's the blue Feldspar.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: September 24, 2009, 01:38:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure they had someone who knew about various types of stone back then, probably a mason. They just weren't called geologists back then.
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 1065