Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575444 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4830 on: September 20, 2009, 07:25:53 am »

Yea I think so.

dwarfed one

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: September 20, 2009, 08:21:18 am »

Toady has stated he will release before the end of the year, even if he has to cut some dev items.
It would be terrible. It was total disaster one year ago as I played new DF release the whole days and nights. My work almost stopped that time, eyes were red and mind blurry. I got out somehow and now only read dev news everyday. I'm doomed...

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: September 20, 2009, 09:17:26 am »

It would be terrible. It was total disaster one year ago as I played new DF release the whole days and nights. My work almost stopped that time, eyes were red and mind blurry. I got out somehow and now only read dev news everyday. I'm doomed...
It's been nice knowing you.

Also, I see possibilities for the custom workshops. For one, It's much more efficient than building individual walls. As long as you aren't going up against the undead or anything else with the building destroyer tag, you can use custom workshops as rudimentary beginner's walls, before you set up your above-ground fortress proper.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: September 20, 2009, 10:15:01 am »

not to mention an instant 31 tile wall that uses one log.

also known as a fence.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: September 20, 2009, 10:43:43 am »

With custom workshops, we might be able to mod in a decent pottery system. Unfortunately we won't be able to scrape up clay like glassworkers scrape up sand, but if we make the workshop have tiles that need to be built on water (presuming we can do that) we could have a Dredge Clay reaction that makes lumps of clay out of nothing and rationalize it as having come from the water. (Alternatively or additionally we could have a Rehydrate Stone into Clay job that makes clay out of mudstone, siltstone, shale and the like.)

You could then have dwarves at the pottery workshop work the clay into a variety of drinking vessels and figurines. Probably you'd want to have them come out as, for example, a "greenware clay mug", which can then be turned into a "clay mug" in a Kiln or Magma Kiln. You could have another reaction that turns a "greenware clay mug" into a "glazed greenware clay mug", which can then be fired in the (Magma) Kiln to make a "glazed clay mug". (You could potentially have different glazes as well, its just a lot of copy and paste work.) The one unfortunate bit is that I don't think decorations applied early on will get carried over to the next stage, so you'll have to make sure you don't add menacing spikes to your greenware before glazing and firing.

Ideally the "greenware" "glazed greenware" materials would have a tag that would make them be damaged or destroyed by water, but I'm not sure if we'll have a tag for that. Unglazed clay is porous, so maybe we'd want to require that containers to be used to carry water or booze be glazed before an option to fire them is given. (In theory unglazed urns would make sense as no-liquids-allowed barrel replacements, but I think barrels are probably hard-coded to hold both food and drink at the moment, and I'm not even sure if anyone has figured out how to get barrel-like items from reactions.)

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: September 20, 2009, 11:58:08 am »

First thing I'm gonna do is make it so mechanics can make metal mechanisms out of metal bars

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: September 20, 2009, 12:08:13 pm »

@Arkose: I doubt we can flag things as needing to be placed on water as there is no system yet in the workshops presently implemented that does that.  Though other buildings do have those types of requirements, so maybe we can.  But I rather doubt it.

On the topic of glazes, if we wanted to get really crazy we could have the alchemist shop make all manner of glazes out of all those lovely oxides that presently only serve as colorful rocks.  Flag an alchemist shop with artifact creation, and you might get rare glazes made from Dragon bone or some such nonsense.  Also, since pottery in general isn't considered "finished" until it is glazed, the potters can just make generic "pottery items" until they are glazed and fired again ti make specific "ceramic mugs."

Maybe.

And this release just got 1000 times better.  WOOT!
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: September 20, 2009, 12:38:12 pm »

With custom workshops, we might be able to mod in a decent pottery system. Unfortunately we won't be able to scrape up clay like glassworkers scrape up sand, but if we make the workshop have tiles that need to be built on water (presuming we can do that) we could have a Dredge Clay reaction that makes lumps of clay out of nothing and rationalize it as having come from the water. (Alternatively or additionally we could have a Rehydrate Stone into Clay job that makes clay out of mudstone, siltstone, shale and the like.)

You could then have dwarves at the pottery workshop work the clay into a variety of drinking vessels and figurines. Probably you'd want to have them come out as, for example, a "greenware clay mug", which can then be turned into a "clay mug" in a Kiln or Magma Kiln. You could have another reaction that turns a "greenware clay mug" into a "glazed greenware clay mug", which can then be fired in the (Magma) Kiln to make a "glazed clay mug". (You could potentially have different glazes as well, its just a lot of copy and paste work.) The one unfortunate bit is that I don't think decorations applied early on will get carried over to the next stage, so you'll have to make sure you don't add menacing spikes to your greenware before glazing and firing.

Ideally the "greenware" "glazed greenware" materials would have a tag that would make them be damaged or destroyed by water, but I'm not sure if we'll have a tag for that. Unglazed clay is porous, so maybe we'd want to require that containers to be used to carry water or booze be glazed before an option to fire them is given. (In theory unglazed urns would make sense as no-liquids-allowed barrel replacements, but I think barrels are probably hard-coded to hold both food and drink at the moment, and I'm not even sure if anyone has figured out how to get barrel-like items from reactions.)

Actually, we already have at least one rock which is in fact, a type of clay, Kaolinite.

I agree with Inquisitor Saturn, it's about time we had metal mechanisms and possibly use metal bars in place of wood for the axels.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #4838 on: September 20, 2009, 12:54:26 pm »

This is amazing! How does he just nonchalantly add awesome new features that weren't even intended to be part of this release?
He makes it seems so effortless!
Bloody genius I'd assume.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: September 20, 2009, 01:04:24 pm »

We can also probably make beds out of something other than wood. \o/
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: September 20, 2009, 01:07:43 pm »

We can also probably make beds out of something other than wood. \o/

Kewl, then we will be able to almost do away with wood. Well, not entirely as it's still useful early on as you can't exactly make rock barrels and there are some things that require wood.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: September 20, 2009, 01:50:37 pm »

I do remember my artifact rock bed created by a possessed dwarf. I gave it to the mayor, he never complained, in fact he was almost aways super happy from admiring a legendary bed recently.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: September 20, 2009, 01:54:46 pm »

He meant besides artifacts.

I know I had an artifact wooden barrel once, but I haven't heard of an artifact rock barrel though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: September 20, 2009, 02:43:12 pm »

With custom workshops and extended reactions, modders will want custom production chains with novel item types.  Some of those items will have to be implemented in odd ways.  For instance, I'm thinking about modding a custom kitchen that has among its building requirements a cooking pot, frying pan, various utensils, etc.  I think I would implement those as instruments/toys, since those are a) in the raws and b) useless right now.

I also want the custom kitchen to use reaction "recipes" that can take various food ingredients and produce a meal.  I don't think ITEM_FOOD (prepared meals) works as a reaction product, since those are already oddball multi-material items, so I'd probably have to use biomeless plants or something.  Maybe they could bake bread, and the bread would leave breadcrumbs as its "seeds" when eaten.

Man, I feel ungrateful.  We just got all this modder fodder and all I can think of is new workarounds.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: September 20, 2009, 04:26:41 pm »

Maybe they could bake bread, and the bread would leave breadcrumbs as its "seeds" when eaten.

You'd have to make sure there was absolutely no way you could grow the seeds in any biome, otherwise you'd end up with dwarfs tilling the moist, yeasty earth of your vast bread farm plots.
Breadfruit, anyone?

Also, I think the first thing I'll mod in is beehives. Little 2*2 wooden workshops where you can bring a special inedible plant extract (nectar) and change it into a honeycomb via reaction. If possible, you could add a [build_outside] tag to the workshop.
Then you can take the honeycomb to a special workshop (or maybe the kitchen) and get wax and honey from it. You can then use the honey in cooking or to make mead, and then make moulds from the wax to use in custom glass making and maybe bronze casting without an anvil. Hurrah!
And, just possibly, with the new caste and nobles systems, you could make it so feeding a dwarf on enough royal jelly eventually got you the message, "The queen has arrived!"  ;D
Though when lighting comes in, no doubt bees will be implemented for their wax anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1065