Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638193 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4665 on: September 14, 2009, 06:34:30 pm »

Stop Quote chaining! Sheesh :D

Especially when it isn't needed for what your saying. Though as a suggestion you can edit what is inside the quote to shave off the HUGE bulk, like what I did here.

I think I am starting to become too prude so I may be comming off rather trollish. If so Id like some warning before I end up bringing this to its natural conclusion.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: September 14, 2009, 07:43:58 pm »

With the upcoming improvements to sieges has there been discussion on how far from the edge of a map the player can build? If you create an encircling wall around ten tiles from the map edge will the game force siege engines and enemy base camps to be within easy range of crossbows?
In common gameplay that would never happen, especially on the 8x8 square maps i play on. for the minimum size map it would be of concern, but not really something that needs fixing.
besides, they could always undermine the wall and (gasp!) sap it!
Spah sappin mah palisade!
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: September 14, 2009, 07:59:21 pm »

Spah sappin mah palisade!

Hah, now that's epic!
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: September 15, 2009, 05:17:35 am »

... it was?

Note for next megaproject... Build gigantic palistade
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: September 15, 2009, 05:30:37 am »

gah, every single time i mention sappers, somebody cant help but make a TF2 reference
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: September 15, 2009, 05:42:26 am »

Ok. Hurry up. I won't stop you. It's only a reference.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: September 15, 2009, 07:11:44 am »

Are non-dwarf civ members going to be fixed this time around (for leaders)

Do you mean the stuff like the Titan Queen? I'm sure it'll at least be broken in a different way, due to the changes in entity positions.  On the other hand, a similar problem with children of goblin captives is NOT getting fixed yet, so who knows:

Yeah, I remember seeing that now...

:(  I meant the king showing up and being an Elf

I had an elf liason once, of a DWARVEN civ. She may have been an elf, but she was pretty damn fast and could probably outrun any ambush. She never complained about me buying wood though.

@corvvs: So, a little bit like the Roman Senate? From what I've seen in the legends, the successor is by default the eldest (I think) child.

Well, like I said - going by what I've seen. I haven't NOTICED any tendency toward direct heirs, but I haven't yet really looked for it either. I think we can safely assume something like that happens in the case that there IS no surviving heir, at least, judging by the occasional Titan, Elf, etc. dwarven leader.

(Neonivek - is this edit what you wanted? The problem with this particular conversation is that the quote tree is actually germane to it... and I feel like I've slighted Footkerchief in the edit :P)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: September 15, 2009, 07:18:01 am »

Just a thought, having a small cloth industry would be helpful for the bandage stuff. Although occasional raiding of the Elven caravans would probably supplement it well unless there was a major disaster and your docs are working 24/7. Pick the cloth of choice, I don't think it really matters, although maybe they will get a happiness boost from good quality cloth or even GCS thread.

The map features stuff is actually almost done, the only stuff left are to finish up the resource allocation and the rope ladder type thing. The rope ladder will be a major one and I know Toady said earlier that he can't make it pet impassible because the same problem with doors and pathing will come up and result in catastrophic lag. I would accept some hacked together building or other structure and call it a winch elevator. We already use mechanisms for various things and for wells, we use rope/chain and a mechanism. So I could see it bieng a mechanic related job.

Edit: As for the quote tree, I kind of got carried away with responding to the whole thing, sorry about that. I don't normally carry on quote pyramids. Also, my response to you corvvs was to a separate post of yours, not one that was in the quote pyramid.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:22:11 am by smjjames »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: September 15, 2009, 07:22:59 am »

Just a thought, having a small cloth industry would be helpful for the bandage stuff. Although occasional raiding of the Elven caravans would probably supplement it well unless there was a major disaster and your docs are working 24/7. Pick the cloth of choice, I don't think it really matters, although maybe they will get a happiness boost from good quality cloth or even GCS thread.

The map features stuff is actually almost done, the only stuff left are to finish up the resource allocation and the rope ladder type thing. The rope ladder will be a major one and I know Toady said earlier that he can't make it pet impassible because the same problem with doors and pathing will come up and result in catastrophic lag. I would accept some hacked together building or other structure and call it a winch elevator. We already use mechanisms for various things and for wells, we use rope/chain and a mechanism. So I could see it bieng a mechanic related job.

Edit: As for the quote tree, I kind of got carried away with responding to the whole thing, sorry about that. I don't normally carry on quote pyramids. Also, my response to you corvvs was to a separate post of yours, not one that was in the quote pyramid.

IIRC, there's some more actual control over clothing preferences and outfits now, so having a clothing industry for that purpose alone would finally be worthwhile.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: September 15, 2009, 08:22:40 am »

Well, better quality cloth could enhance the healing process, as it better soaks up blood and also better protects against infections.

Hmm, just an idea for a function. If no cloth are available, the medic dwarf could destroy a clothing of either the wounded or his own, thus providing some cloth, albeit they'd have a lower quality. Maybe even bigger penalty if the said clothing is stained with mud or blood and such?
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: September 15, 2009, 11:00:44 am »

!!!*LIGHTBULB*!!! (yea, its a high quality bulb that is burning brightly)

Hey, you know how swabs soaked in alcohol are used to clean wounds? Well, the dwarves certainly know how to make various kinds of alcohol (they can even ferment mushrooms of all things), so they probably know of certain kinds of alcohol that would be inedible or poisonous to them as I think the alcohol used in alcohol disinfectant swabs are the kind which is not for human consumption (then again, a human wouldn't be able to survive on that much alcohol).

So, by sacrificing a small portion of the booze supply or making a byproduct of some kind, they would soak some cloth in alcohol and use that to disinfect. I believe alcohol has been used as an anesethic and a disinfectant for a very long time.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: September 15, 2009, 12:14:36 pm »

Hey, you know how swabs soaked in alcohol are used to clean wounds? Well, the dwarves certainly know how to make various kinds of alcohol (they can even ferment mushrooms of all things), so they probably know of certain kinds of alcohol that would be inedible or poisonous to them as I think the alcohol used in alcohol disinfectant swabs are the kind which is not for human consumption (then again, a human wouldn't be able to survive on that much alcohol).

So, by sacrificing a small portion of the booze supply or making a byproduct of some kind, they would soak some cloth in alcohol and use that to disinfect. I believe alcohol has been used as an anesethic and a disinfectant for a very long time.

FWIW, drugstores don't sell methyl alcohol because it works better at disinfecting -- they sell it because it's poisonous. That way people won't buy cheap, pure ethyl alcohol and drink it, thus robbing the makers of Everclear(tm) of profit.

Tongue-in-cheek, yes, but this is actually true - it's because of Prohibition and the Puritan ethic.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: September 15, 2009, 12:35:56 pm »

Btw, it's possible to make adamantine cloth.

And, by extension, adamantine bandages.

Soaking properties of metal aside, would it lead to injured champions actually becoming more resistant to damage as they accumulate treated wounds?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: September 15, 2009, 01:00:39 pm »

FWIW, drugstores don't sell methyl alcohol because it works better at disinfecting -- they sell it because it's poisonous. That way people won't buy cheap, pure ethyl alcohol and drink it, thus robbing the makers of Everclear(tm) of profit.

Tongue-in-cheek, yes, but this is actually true - it's because of Prohibition and the Puritan ethic.

I wasn't talking about drugstores, I mean like what's used for medical procedures and I believe, is the same thing they rub on your arm before taking blood. I'm sure you get what I'm talking about though.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: September 15, 2009, 01:19:21 pm »

Ethanol used in beverages has the same antiseptic properties as other alcohols.  Other alcohols are cheaper because the government (in the U.S., at least) taxes drinkable ethanol pretty heavily.  Laboratories that use ethanol get denatured stuff (methanol added) a lot of the time because it's cheaper without the government taking a cut.

At least, that's my understanding.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 1065