Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638239 times)

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4440 on: September 05, 2009, 06:02:19 pm »

Don't forget that diseases are totally out guys, necrosis and infections are the extent of body contamination.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: September 05, 2009, 06:04:06 pm »

will soap finally have a proper use.

Read the dev list for the next version; soap supposedly will be used for sanitation, at least for health care.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 06:49:01 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: September 05, 2009, 06:28:58 pm »

I was pretty sure the Golem of Prague had the word Emet (Hebrew for "Truth") written on its forehead, and to kill it you had to wipe out the Aleph (the "E") in order to change the word to Met (Hebrew for "Death").

I refer only to the Golem of Prague.  Other golems were supposedly animated by scrolls under the tongue or other means of getting names of G-d into the clay.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: September 05, 2009, 09:17:21 pm »

Didn't Toady mention earlier about experienced dwarves teaching the inexperienced? That might be a way to safely train new surgeons.

Of course, that depends on you already having one experienced surgeon. If not, be prepared to make some hilarious sacrifices.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: September 05, 2009, 10:15:21 pm »

Plus it also makes sense to send medical hopefuls to a Dwarven schools in the Dwarf Capital.

Is there a Dev item on training abroad? (Not Green lit because it isn't a Toady question :P though I am not objecting)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: September 06, 2009, 03:09:53 am »

Oh, will there be possible to assign doctors to different duties? Like have the apprentice doctor make examines while the old master doctor makes the cutting?

The new skills are:

Dressing wounds, diagnosis, surgery, setting bones, suturing and walking with crutches.

Presumably they'll have associated labors that you can enable and disable for each dwarf, so I think the answer is yes.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: September 06, 2009, 06:45:35 am »

Holy crap, tissue rot sounds awesome!
I wonder how this will affect adv mode
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: September 06, 2009, 07:04:44 am »

Didn't Toady mention earlier about experienced dwarves teaching the inexperienced? That might be a way to safely train new surgeons.

Of course, that depends on you already having one experienced surgeon. If not, be prepared to make some hilarious sacrifices.

A Proficient doctor at embark (at least one who's skilled at surgery) could handle this somewhat.

That said, I think mangling traps and immigrants are a good practice method, unless we can experiment on gobbos.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: September 06, 2009, 07:11:50 am »

well cutting tissue rot is easy and gives xp, maybe toady would be kind enough to let us use gobbo cadavers or something else humanoid for training purposes.

fun will be the day when the head of autopsies gets a fell mood...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: September 06, 2009, 09:31:07 am »

well cutting tissue rot is easy and gives xp, maybe toady would be kind enough to let us use gobbo cadavers or something else humanoid for training purposes.

fun will be the day when the head of autopsies gets a fell mood...

Well, considering tissue rot is in and frostbite is going to be a major source of this in very cold and freezing areas. Although, what if there is so much tissue rot, like in a leg that is 90% covered in 3rd degree burns that they wouldn't be able to save the leg, would they be doing amputations? Actually, considering dwarven stupidity, they'll probably amputate every time a limb or whatever gets to red (loss of structural integrity) status and requires an AI complexity that it doesn't have yet.

EDIT: NM, the latest devlog answered the question about amputation.

Edit: Hey Toady, can you give us a list of what kinds of surgeries will be done? I'm just not sure how deeply you programmed it as far as that goes. I mean like, will we see them performing open heart surgery, fixing internal organs, stopping internal bleeding....

That being said, I hope the hospital can be set up outside to serve as a combat hospital. We'll definetly need one when we get armies and the wounded get cycled in from the front lines.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 11:41:12 am by smjjames »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #4450 on: September 06, 2009, 09:52:38 am »

Since I had to put infections and systemic problems off, the rotting tissue isn't indirectly harmful like it should be, so for now we can consider it part of odor prevention or something.

Amputating a limb only because it smells bad? Sounds dwarven enough to me.
<3

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: September 06, 2009, 11:14:54 am »

When I read the dev log, I had the mental image of a Dwarf just sawing the other wounded Dwarf in half, and proclaiming him cured as he dies almost instantaneously.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: September 06, 2009, 12:23:13 pm »

That being said, I hope the hospital can be set up outside to serve as a combat hospital. We'll definetly need one when we get armies and the wounded get cycled in from the front lines.
If we have this, we need to have zany antics be encouraged in the combat hospital so that we can simulate M*A*S*H-like situations.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: September 06, 2009, 12:39:18 pm »

If we have this, we need to have zany antics be encouraged in the combat hospital so that we can simulate M*A*S*H-like situations.

lol! :)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: September 06, 2009, 01:23:40 pm »

Razes Urnspins, Colonel: "Did you get those x-ray engravings Birdeye?"
Kadol Birdeye, Doctor: "Engravings?  I don't have any engravings.  I could get you some footprints but they're back in the socks."
Estrith O'Ethram, Clerk, Cancels Job: comment: Interrupted by Wagons!

And thus ends the worst crossover fanfic in history.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 1065