Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630908 times)

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4365 on: September 02, 2009, 05:54:29 pm »

Secondly, All of this stuff wood be awesome! I'm not all that much of a tree nerd, but having all of that info and individualism for the trees wood make me feel bad for cutting down a multi-square tree that happened to be where I was trying to start my fortress.

That sounds a little Elfy.

Quote from: Sparkles also
Plus, maybe it would provoke a more realistic corrolation between the size of "a wood log" and what jobs could be done with what bits. (E.g., slice a few branches off Leaftower the Willow of Flowing to make a few wooden mugs instead of chopping down the whole tree or whatever.)

This is a good idea - it would definitely explain the difference between Elf-kosher wood and a regular pile of logs, and why Elf towns are still full of trees even after years of exporting wood to my Dwarves.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: September 02, 2009, 05:58:52 pm »

Spoiler: better readability? (click to show/hide)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: September 02, 2009, 06:10:20 pm »

Much better, Armok
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: September 02, 2009, 07:53:41 pm »

The spoiler is especially nice.

I'd love to find animals eating herbs and grass. I think I'd hate to see inanimate objects such as trees endowed with as much detail as an interacting creature such as a pet cat.

edit:
though I love trees and plant biology/physiology, I personally think in DF (a game about creating a community in a simulated world)
it is a waste of time and computing resources.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 07:55:56 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: September 02, 2009, 08:19:42 pm »

Secondly, All of this stuff wood be awesome! I'm not all that much of a tree nerd, but having all of that info and individualism for the trees wood make me feel bad for cutting down a multi-square tree that happened to be where I was trying to start my fortress.

I see what you did there  ;)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27:11 pm »

The thing with trees is that human culture, history and perception sort of demands that they be treated at least somewhat individualistically, especially if you end up with ones that are, say, magical.

There's also the fact that getting plants and animals working under the same system means you can quite easily have things like animated trees that function as both creature and tree.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: September 02, 2009, 08:58:40 pm »

The thing with trees is that human culture, history and perception sort of demands that they be treated at least somewhat individualistically, especially if you end up with ones that are, say, magical.

There's also the fact that getting plants and animals working under the same system means you can quite easily have things like animated trees that function as both creature and tree.

I'd be inclined to say that expanding on trees is just better for the game mechanics; it helps improve farming and crafting (plants with different functions and conditions for harvesting), and adds lots of potential for Fun™ stuff such as treants and other deadly plants.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: September 02, 2009, 09:05:53 pm »

Imagine the modding possibilities on plants...

How about actually designing a plant that produces an explosive extract - and have that be because ofo the actual chemistry.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: September 02, 2009, 09:06:10 pm »

At minimum, trees should be detailed/merged with creatures enough to be mutated in sphere-related areas in the same way creatures are planned to be.  I want a perpetually burning forest full of perpetually burning animals!  And I want to build a fortress under it!  Ooh, or maybe the minerals sphere could make a petrified forest.  (But not entirely petrified, since wood is important, unless above-ground petrified trees are treated as wood.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:07:48 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: September 02, 2009, 10:45:26 pm »

I'd love to find animals eating herbs and grass. I think I'd hate to see inanimate objects such as trees endowed with as much detail as an interacting creature such as a pet cat.

I disagree. Firstly trees are not nearly as inanimate as one would think and are in every way just as living as you or me, although notably more lazy. After all you do share 35% of our DNA with daffodils (The 35% I share with them is what makes girls want us so badly).

The easiest way, and the way it sounds like Toady is interested in taking, is to utilise the very same system that animals are under, with tissues and circulatory systems and what not, to model trees. This would allow certain parts of the tree being removed without the tree dying, and the dropping of wood upon death.

With it already being possible to create creatures made of wood in the next version. Perhaps the modelling of tree's is not as far off as one would think.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: September 02, 2009, 11:02:11 pm »

I disagree. Firstly trees are not nearly as inanimate as one would think and are in every way just as living as you or me, although notably more lazy. After all you do share 35% of our DNA with daffodils (The 35% I share with them is what makes girls want us so badly).

Alright well...

A) Few plants are capable of taking action on a visable scale. So they are Inanimate as far as we should be concerned.
B) Sharing 35% of our DNA with Daffodils is a true but meaningless statement due to how DNA functions.

Other then that you havn't really said anything I object to.

The only issue in my mind with modeling trees is simply how the game should handle it, which means that the creature definitions will need to be expanded (speaking on a technical basis) or else you can get weird things. So the real issue isn't that Trees need to be turned into creatures, it is that creatures need to include trees.

I have no faith in my ability to convey my thoughts anymore at this point.

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: September 03, 2009, 12:29:52 am »

A) Few plants are capable of taking action on a visable scale. So they are Inanimate as far as we should be concerned.
B) Sharing 35% of our DNA with Daffodils is a true but meaningless statement due to how DNA functions.

Changing the definition of a word to suit your argument is ludicrous. Plants are in no way inanimate, and even in the game trees grow, trees and plants disappear in the winter, new trees sprout. Inanimate hardly.
Pointing out the shared percentage of our DNA was to emphasise that they are infact living in every sense of the word.

Precisely, a few tags such as [neutral], [stationary] to control there interactions with the world and the creature system would emcompass both fuana and flora, effectively becoming a Model of Life in general. Which, I believe, is the direction toady is leaning towards for when he comes to the issue.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: September 03, 2009, 01:26:53 am »

Pointing out the shared percentage of our DNA was to emphasise that they are infact living in every sense of the word

I don't think anyone contested that they are living. But still it is true but meaningless statement in every sense of the word.

A Common Explosive is 2/3rds like Water is a good example of a "True but meaningless" statement.

Changing the definition of a word to suit your argument is ludicrous. Plants are in no way inanimate, and even in the game trees grow, trees and plants disappear in the winter, new trees sprout. Inanimate hardly

I guess I just have a wider definition of "Inanimate" since several objects degrade and grow in real life, Like Houses. I was refering to their ability to react in visable time.

So treating them a lot like inanimate objects wouldn't be so bad.

although notably more lazy

Lazy? Lazy to me is a lot like Bravery. Lazyness isn't the absense of action but rather acting to avoid action. In the same sense that Bravery isn't the absense of fear but the ability to rise above it.

So Plants arn't lazy, in fact they can't be lazy, they just arn't capable of taking action in that sense.

Though if that doesn't suffice. There is a condition known as a "Blooming fool" that plants can have which causes them to blossom constantly. This condition can quite easily kill the plant.

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: September 03, 2009, 03:11:32 am »

Why are we arguing? We both agreed on the point at hand, that plants are more then likely going to be expanded by encompassing them into the creature system and that this is a good thing.

Now your picking on individual points used to support a larger issue that we agreed upon, points I made in past posts and contention in subjects that shouldn't be argued over ie. the meaning of words.

If you want to argue for the sake of arguing I'm all for it, just send me a PM, but continuing this any further in here is going off topic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: September 03, 2009, 03:16:05 am »

Why are we arguing?

I don't even consider it an arguement yet.

But sure I guess it really doesn't need to go any further as it isn't really contributing anything. (Though I did like to put that Plant condition out there)
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 1065