Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630796 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4350 on: September 02, 2009, 12:10:03 am »

At least in 40d sort of, you got a bonus/penalty to damage based on size at least. Not sure if it affects encumbrance-type things.

Greening for you as I want to know too.
why are harpy's animals and not animal people?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: September 02, 2009, 08:11:25 am »

Brain splints ftw

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: September 02, 2009, 09:12:07 am »

lol

Also, is that a thumb prothesis there.

I just noticed the guy with the 'head peg' in the back, lol, not to mention most of the pirates have at least one peg leg. The only one who is missing a prothesis is the parrot. I know the guy all the way to the left doesn't seem to have one, but we can only partially see him.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: September 02, 2009, 09:17:08 am »

Seems like the defining use of splint is Rigid Part...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: September 02, 2009, 09:19:56 am »

Since Tarn is now back to finishing up Health Care, I was wondering what he thought of the possibility of including this suggestion either now or at some future date?

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4355 on: September 02, 2009, 02:35:50 pm »

At one point during the recent talk/podcast someone (I forget who) mentioned the concept of dwarves leaving the fortress on personal matters ("My grandmother is sick"), and the problem of players getting irritated when dwarves just wander off.  I was thinking, what if this sort of things replace the current "On Break" system?  I.E. Dwarves don't go "On Break" but instead they have reasons to either leave, or at least stop working (a period of mourning after the death of a friend maybe?).

What do you think?
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: September 02, 2009, 02:55:06 pm »

Sort of a noob question, but what exactly defines that a giant's or even a titan's default strenght is any different from, say, a dwarf's default strenght? The SIZE tag?

At least in 40d sort of, you got a bonus/penalty to damage based on size at least. Not sure if it affects encumbrance-type things.

Yeah, it does work that way in 40d.  In the next version, you'll be able to set baseline attributes for creatures, so that (for example) humans can be generally stronger than elves despite them both being size 7.  The size bonus might still be in effect, though, I'm not sure.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: September 02, 2009, 02:57:55 pm »

I quite like the new combat updates.  I'm kinda worried now that instead of slashing my throat out a wolf will instead severe a vital artery or nerve.  I guess this will probably be balanced by the fact that armour will behave far more realistically, and weak attacks are more likely to just bounce off a nice hard suit of armour.

Incidentally:
First, a groundhog ripped a lion in half and bit off a dwarf's arms... and it was using every part of its head (eyes, nose, etc.), not just its teeth, for the biting. After I fixed that up, it was still using its teeth like little needles and piercing brains and so on. I eventually got that sorted out.
Wait, so we'll be able to create creatures with mouths full of needles?  Awesome.  I'm also trying to visualise the brain splat bite too.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: September 02, 2009, 03:46:49 pm »

Those are some kickass pirates! Preforms open heart valve replacement, on a rocking 17th century ship, and isn't afraid of nothen.

This is a masterwork Oak Heart Valve. It menaces with spikes of stainless steel.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #4359 on: September 02, 2009, 04:35:59 pm »

You've never seen Perry Bible Fellowship before?
Those comics are top of cool.

I've been pondering the "moods" lately.
It would be cool if some sort of ritual could be performed on a moody person (at least the possessed/fell ones)
to prevent them from making an artifact/going insane.

Also, people who have secretive/fey/macabre moods shouldn't go insane.
I thought those moods (one, the other, or both) were similar to somebody getting some ingenious idea.
Just because some cool inventive item they really wanted to make didn't work out, doesn't mean they should lose their minds.

But I can understand it on a possession. That makes sweet sense, and is often fun.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: September 02, 2009, 04:50:56 pm »

I agree on the fey/secretive moods not making someone go insane. At most it should still give a big thought hit because you would be extremely dissapointed that it didn't work out. The exact effect could vary from dwarf to dwarf depending on the personality, at best it would make them unhappy for a while, for those who get angry easily, maybe trigger a tantrum, for those who would be classified as having chronic depression or are mental wrecks it could be enough to push them over the edge and into insanity.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: September 02, 2009, 05:13:44 pm »

This has been showing up in atleast two places now, I were told to bring it here:

Quote from: ME
One thing I remembered thou, was my tree question. While your answere was great, and I am deeply, DEEPLY honoured to have it included in the podcast, however some parts of the uestion went undressed, and the most ones that I spesificaly still wonder abaut are:
* Hollow trees?
* Individualising traits on thees, such as scars and such, or strange ways they grow, or interacting with nearby objects and terain fetures, and other things that justify them being enough of individuals for the elves naming them and their mythological importnance?
* non-tree vegetation, like grasses and undergrowth and grazing and farming?

Obviously, the best would be to simply get all the mini questions in there answered... shuld I copy it to FotF, or is it to far away in the development cycle for that?

"You meantioned trees and cretures at some point in the future working under and unified system, so when trees get tissues, how realistic will they be? Will it be names like "bark" "wood" and "hollow", or will you do it more correctly with xylem and phloem? Will it use the same vascular tag as creatures, or perhaps even circulatory? Will the root system be of realistic size? Will different kinds of scar tissue and fungus attacks that cause large parts of trees personalities be modelled? Will trees be able to grow in odd ways, such as merging whit a tree growing to close, or growing into an enveloping an object, or falling in a storm but continue growing in a new direction, or have the main trunk die but a branch continues to grow and becomes the new trunk? How will hollow trees be modelled? have I provided enough question for an entire tree-themed podcast yet? How different will different kinds of trees be? Will elves try to protect trees from stuff like draught or fungi or insects, or only from sapients? Will hollow trees contain decomposed wood and other common things? Will tree roots affect erosion rate? Do you often take walks in any woods, and do you tend to look at especially interesting trees and wonder how you can model that in DF? Will there be any candy for tree nerds? How much will you do with different kinds of smaller plants and undergrowth? will you ever model grass species and such? What about different kinds of flowers in meadows and gardens and such? Will you model vegetation height and/or how it's affected by being cut for hay, grazed by animals, etc? Will at some point a farm use a unified system with the grass that grows on normal ground, so that it being abandoned and such have proper effects?"
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: September 02, 2009, 05:17:28 pm »

ACK I am blinded again!!!

Why are people making HUGE Font Lime Green posts?

I blame you Armok! (joke)

Though in all seriousness can you pleas scale that down to normal?

Sparkles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: September 02, 2009, 05:25:09 pm »

This has been showing up in atleast two places now, I were told to bring it here:

Quote from: HIM
<Lots of questions>

Firstly, I agree with Neonivek, Armok, for Armok's sake, please scale that down a little. Maybe throw in a few bullet points. Readability, man.

Secondly, All of this stuff wood be awesome! I'm not all that much of a tree nerd, but having all of that info and individualism for the trees wood make me feel bad for cutting down a multi-square tree that happened to be where I was trying to start my fortress. Plus, maybe it would provoke a more realistic corrolation between the size of "a wood log" and what jobs could be done with what bits. (E.g., slice a few branches off Leaftower the Willow of Flowing to make a few wooden mugs instead of chopping down the whole tree or whatever.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: September 02, 2009, 05:42:48 pm »

Armok, it's difficult to provide meaningful answers to such narrow questions about a part of the game that isn't likely to get worked on for at least a year or two.  The take-away message from the podcast is that Toady wants to model trees with the same depth as creatures, but as for the particulars, nobody knows, because he hasn't put that level of thought and research into it yet.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 1065