Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630799 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4335 on: September 01, 2009, 11:16:43 am »

I don't think it's quite that advanced yet.

Honestly, I don't really see the dwarves as having a real fancy martial arts. I'm sure they have one as wrestling could be considered a type of martial art.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: September 01, 2009, 11:40:48 am »

I don't think it's quite that advanced yet.

Honestly, I don't really see the dwarves as having a real fancy martial arts. I'm sure they have one as wrestling could be considered a type of martial art.

You're comitting the dwarf-centric fallacy.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: September 01, 2009, 12:56:16 pm »

Green! Justt...!!!

GREEN!!! <3
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: September 01, 2009, 01:00:45 pm »

Green! Justt...!!!

GREEN!!! <3

LIME GREEN

Anyway:

I don't get the current martial art thingie people are talking about, will we actually learn and create moves using some interface or something like that? If not that, then what? Tis be confusing.

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: September 01, 2009, 01:42:44 pm »

Are the world-gen seeds going to be different in the next version? If not, can we try to recreate current worlds using existing seeds? I know the UG stuff will be different, but would things like continents, overland rivers, and biomes be the same?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: September 01, 2009, 01:54:29 pm »

Toady, for someone creating a martial art style is there a flaw to expanding the movesets within the style to rediculous proportions? Is there a point where the game will tell you "Hey, the style is large enough. Any further and people will have trouble learning it"?

Perhaps an example: In boxing, there are six basic punches, and while someone might modify the cross to set up a hook better, the six punches are taught the same way to everyone. This is because they all work together and are a good basis for boxing, even if they don't suit someone's style of fighting perfectly. So I guess Neoniveck is asking if something like that could happen--people change their fighting style, but teach their students the basic moves that they modified, because those moves are more general. That might be hard to model, but if it makes it in at some point, that would be awesome.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: September 01, 2009, 02:25:09 pm »

wouldn't those things be considered 'brawling' skill, and be the same basis for every HtH MA?

Then learning specific other moves on top of that, each in it's own style.  No one in real life has 'Tae Kwon Do' skill, your belt ranking is really showing minimum proficiency in a set of linked skills.

It'd also make learning additional MA's easier, because you've already trained up your brawling, unless you think you'd have to start at ground zero when learning your second martial art.  Plus, remember second tier martial arts like Akido that are really a set of linked tricks that rely on you having a good base in another martial art.  (Opponent does this, you do this, and then you are in this position relative to them, which is a good position to do other MA things)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: September 01, 2009, 04:11:26 pm »

why are harpy's animals and not animal people?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: September 01, 2009, 04:12:55 pm »

How far are you willing to allow martial arts, outside of magical martial arts, to defy real life peaks of athletics? Arrow Catching? Metal Shattering Punches? Armor ignoring punches? Ripping people's arms off? Though I realise that a lot of what I just mentioned could be after someone reached Legendary skill.
It's totally possible to catch arrows.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: September 01, 2009, 04:17:02 pm »

yeah, but only with your face.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: September 01, 2009, 04:44:34 pm »

actually if someone tossed you an arrow you could catch it quite easily.  if the bows are short bows then the arrow is probably going slow enough to deflect it much like a punch, and once deflected the arrow becomes possible to catch.  if you have ever seen someone catch arrows fired from a bow you will notice that they do this and not the myth buster style arrow catching.

having the force of a punch carry through armor has to do with the amount of padding at the place struck, if it is at a joint then there probably isn't much padding.

like what neoniveck said, i can see these happening with a legendary martial artist.

if you have ever seen the metal shattering punches it is always against real brittle iron, ripping someone's arms off is basically doing a joint lock to dislocate the arm, then use the somewhat free floating bone to rip through muscles and skin until the arm is free enough to rip off.  neither of these are very combat useful.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: September 01, 2009, 04:53:33 pm »

if you have ever seen the metal shattering punches it is always against real brittle iron, ripping someone's arms off is basically doing a joint lock to dislocate the arm, then use the somewhat free floating bone to rip through muscles and skin until the arm is free enough to rip off.  neither of these are very combat useful.

Not for a normal humanoid, no, but I can easily see Giants and the like ripping people apart. Not sure if that'll be possible this release or not, but I imagine we'll see that sort of size/strength based combat eventually.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: September 01, 2009, 07:19:49 pm »

The scary part is that with tissue layers and the like, it's totally conceivable now.  It's not just a far off "some day" like is was a year or two ago.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: September 01, 2009, 07:57:41 pm »

It is a very real "as soon as toady finalizes the current release".  WOW.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: September 01, 2009, 09:15:26 pm »

Sort of a noob question, but what exactly defines that a giant's or even a titan's default strenght is any different from, say, a dwarf's default strenght? The SIZE tag?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 1065