Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638360 times)

GaGrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4020 on: August 20, 2009, 07:22:52 pm »

The silk-shirt thing's got me wondering if that inter-penetration of material layers will work at all.  Driving metal armours into flesh, cloth-fibres into open-wounds and the like - increasing the difficulty of treatment and chance of infection in some cases.

Boggles the mind to think this sort of thing is within distance for being counted as a sensible addition to the game.

shiruba

• Bay Watcher
  • Eto eto... eto eto...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: August 21, 2009, 06:59:37 am »

The silk-shirt thing's got me wondering if that inter-penetration of material layers will work at all.  Driving metal armours into flesh, cloth-fibres into open-wounds and the like - increasing the difficulty of treatment and chance of infection in some cases.

Boggles the mind to think this sort of thing is within distance for being counted as a sensible addition to the game.

to be honest, this type of thing creeps me out... i love how roguelikes are inclined to be detailed about combat and death (IVAN´s death messages are uber-awesome), however I think things starts to get a bit silly when they get down to "you managed to hit 4 of the left row of teeth, managing to sever nerves A, B and C! CRITICAL STRIKE! HIS CARDIOIMMUNONEURAL SYSTEM's serotonin production was changed by 4,32%...."*

Google the video for "The hardest game ever tutorial", its a parody with the same concerns I have. and its funny!

*May not mean anything at all. maybe.
"ONORE DIKEIDO, THIS WORLD NO SEKAI SHALL BE YOUR DOOM DESU NE"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: August 21, 2009, 07:28:29 am »

Actually, it would be nice to actually have that kinda detail, even if it wouldn't be as good to always see it displayed. For example, if a medical/anatomy skill is added, it could determine what information you receive during combat. Starting from "Its head is bruised!", and all the way to the individual bones and muscles. Maybe even
The elf drinks a mug of dwarven ale! The dwarven ale strikes the elf in the brain! 34491043 of the elf's brain's neurons have been incinerated!

And I doubt DF will ever beat Derek Smart's Battlecruiser series in terms of incomprehensibility. In DF, at least you have a menu that lists the available keys, and some text next to the keys that gives a brief explanation of what does what. Or, failing that, an in-game list of keys with short descriptions.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:31:32 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GaGrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: August 21, 2009, 08:20:54 am »

Quote from: Toady One
The most significant addition today was an overall notion of a "square" shot, so that, say, a crossbow bolt can hit full force but just not break a bone because it didn't have a line on the center of the part. Attacks with better relative rolls and relative contact areas are more likely to get a chance to hit all of the tissues, and only strikes that hit all of the tissues get a chance at driving through a path of organs as well. This also stops weapons like long swords and axes from severing everything they hit, since on close rolls they will just end up giving nasty slashes instead that avoid the bones and organs entirely, even if the force of the swing is sufficient to cleave all the way through the body.

Woot! This is probably one of the single most important balancing/realism features for wound results as it allows creatures of relatively infinite power to land less than completely lethal blows; making strength/power more about damage potential, and skill more about reaching that potential.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: August 21, 2009, 08:27:13 am »

to be honest, this type of thing creeps me out... i love how roguelikes are inclined to be detailed about combat and death (IVAN´s death messages are uber-awesome), however I think things starts to get a bit silly when they get down to "you managed to hit 4 of the left row of teeth, managing to sever nerves A, B and C! CRITICAL STRIKE! HIS CARDIOIMMUNONEURAL SYSTEM's serotonin production was changed by 4,32%...."*

You have just described Armok 1!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: August 21, 2009, 09:17:51 am »

Woot! This is probably one of the single most important balancing/realism features for wound results as it allows creatures of relatively infinite power to land less than completely lethal blows; making strength/power more about damage potential, and skill more about reaching that potential.

Yeah, this among other things should reduce the propensity of piercing weapons to hit an infinite number of organs.

It sounds like bludgeoning damage hasn't been merged with slash/pierce, even though contact areas are being tracked now.  Is it being kept separate just for combat text purposes or something?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:21:18 am by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: August 21, 2009, 10:50:02 am »

It could be because Slashing and Piercing damage go together quite easily. Many things that peirce also cut.

While Bludgeon damage is usually seperate. Even a Spiked mace peirces before it bludgeons.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: August 21, 2009, 11:14:35 am »

Regarding the latest dev log, what about considering arteries? A nasty gash can still prove fatal even if it doesn't sever the limb or slice any organs but there is a chance for it to slice a major artery if it's deep enough. A gash to the throat still has a high chance of bieng fatal, even if it doesn't cut the artery.

Regarding the new healthcare system, will there be a form of combat medicine where the docs can quickly run out to an injured dwarf and try to patch up the bleeding or at least keep them alive until they get to a field hospital or whatever. The Geneva convention doesn't exist in DF, so we can't count on anything like that.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:44:09 pm by smjjames »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: August 21, 2009, 11:38:03 am »

I highly doubt the silk arrow removal thing is going in, though.

It would be a shame if it wasn't at some point. It would be nice to have the midnight blue silk uniforms do more than just look cool.

Exactly what I was getting at. Hearing about how layers of flesh can interact, with the reported attack on the farmer, I wondered about how other layers might like clothing and armour.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: August 21, 2009, 11:48:19 am »

half-stamped maille

+10 bonus points for anyone who caught the maille joke in there.

Bonus points mine?

Edit: Damnit, didn't notice Kidiri say this one.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:26:07 pm by Protactinium »
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: August 21, 2009, 12:36:38 pm »

Scamps is okay, though he's still a bit lethargic, and he detests his new radar collar, though it stops him from chewing on his wounded nether regions, so it is for the best.

Catsplosion Averted!

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: August 21, 2009, 01:43:18 pm »

Also regarding health care: Will there be neurosurgery?

I'm not sure how to grep this topic for the answer, if it was asked before - in that case, sorry.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: August 21, 2009, 02:12:01 pm »

Will there be.. what?

Let me be the first to welcome our new ham-handed iron-age neurosurgeon overlords. Now keep that knife away from me!
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: August 21, 2009, 02:19:14 pm »

Hm, apart from lobotomy (which is, according to wikipedia, rather easy to do even with crude tools), I don't think dwarves could handle a so complicated job.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: August 21, 2009, 02:22:15 pm »

Regarding the latest dev log, what about considering arteries? A nasty gash can still prove fatal even if it doesn't sever the limb or slice any organs but there is a chance for it to slice a major artery if it's deep enough. A gash to the throat still has a high chance of bieng fatal, even if it doesn't cut the artery.

This came up in the other thread:

Quote from: Toady One
Yeah, it's going to be something like the latter, with VASCULAR meaning that the part bleeds when struck, and ARTERIES meaning it has a chance to really cause trouble.

So it sounds like arteries are handled as a body part property (or maybe a tissue property?), but modders could of course add arteries as a separate body part instead, like a miniature internal organ.

Concerning neurosurgery, I hope we get trepanation at least.

Look at these smiling patients!

Trepanation [...] is a medical intervention in which a hole is drilled or scraped into the human skull, thus exposing the dura mater in order to treat health problems related to intracranial diseases.

[...]

Evidence also suggests that trepanation was primitive emergency surgery after head wounds[2] to remove shattered bits of bone from a fractured skull and clean out the blood that often pools under the skull after a blow to the head. Such injuries were typical for primitive weaponry such as slings and war clubs.

[...]

Trepanation is perhaps the oldest surgical procedure for which there is evidence,[4] and in some areas may have been quite widespread. Out of 120 prehistoric skulls found at one burial site in France dated to 6500 BC, 40 had trepanation holes.[5] Many prehistoric and premodern patients had signs of their skull structure healing; suggesting that many of those subjected to the surgery survived.

Trepanation was also practiced in the classical and Renaissance periods. Hippocrates gave specific directions on the procedure from its evolution through the Greek age, and Galen also elaborates on the procedure.

During the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, trepanation was practiced as a cure for various ailments, including seizures and skull fractures. Out of eight skulls with trepanations from the 6th-8th centuries found in southwestern Germany, seven skulls show clear evidence of healing and survival after trepanation suggesting that the survival rate of the operations was high and the infection rate was low.[2]

[...]

Later studies documented cases identified from a range of sites in Oaxaca and central Mexico, such as Tilantongo, Oaxaca and the major Zapotec site of Monte Albán. Two specimens from the Tlatilco civilization's homelands (which flourished around 1400 BC) indicate the practice has a lengthy tradition.[8]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:17:12 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 1065