Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638568 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3990 on: August 19, 2009, 09:23:44 pm »

Quote from: dev log
You bash The Farmer in the upper body with your bismuth bronze war hammer, bruising the muscle, jamming the left floating rib through the liver tissue and tearing the liver!

Yeah, this'll be interesting.

Well, to be honest I didn't like it. You shouldn't be able to know the internal damage done only by looking.

i think the wounds-display with light-grey to dark grey and all pain colors inbetwen will be there still?

In fortress mode for sure. In adventure mode maybe, but I thought it was a little strange the description with too much details. It should be more simple and subjetive.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: August 19, 2009, 10:26:56 pm »

Quote from: dev log
You bash The Farmer in the upper body with your bismuth bronze war hammer, bruising the muscle, jamming the left floating rib through the liver tissue and tearing the liver!

Yeah, this'll be interesting.

Well, to be honest I didn't like it. You shouldn't be able to know the internal damage done only by looking.

i think the wounds-display with light-grey to dark grey and all pain colors inbetwen will be there still?

In fortress mode for sure. In adventure mode maybe, but I thought it was a little strange the description with too much details. It should be more simple and subjetive.
hm. i like it as it is. dwarf fortress is so detailed, why not add some more detail when it is available? detail is one of the main features of DF to me.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: August 19, 2009, 10:41:50 pm »

The detail would be there, it only wouldn't be so available. I think it goes against the very concept of the game the fact you know so much about a wound in the very moment you are doing it without even analising it, or without even a basic medical skill.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: August 19, 2009, 11:09:52 pm »

So, is Toady going to add in realistic ages for animals in this version?  Because those 200-year old carp seem like they'd be pretty badass.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: August 20, 2009, 12:18:33 am »

that article makes you wonder about a few things.  thanks for sharing.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: August 20, 2009, 01:45:27 am »

The detail would be there, it only wouldn't be so available. I think it goes against the very concept of the game the fact you know so much about a wound in the very moment you are doing it without even analising it, or without even a basic medical skill.

So what, you want the combat reports to be subjective to what you, the person, could possibly know? That would be difficult to track and also probably fairly frustrating, giving you could be bashing away for ages not knowing if you're doing any damage or not.

And I really don't see why you're complaining about it. I mean it's not really something your actually adventurer would know, it's more like a DM in an RP telling you that you just did however many HP damage.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: August 20, 2009, 05:16:31 am »

A good DM woulod make up funny stories though, like:

"You menace the wooly ogre with your barstool, it bounces off his leftmost toe, the ogre turns around and seems to be upset with you. "
Translation: attack with improvised weapon, ogre hit for 1hp.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: August 20, 2009, 05:20:21 am »

Evolution on a grand scale is gonna be pretty hard to implement (and possibly not a good idea in a fantasy genre game).  However, I think small scale natural selection might work.  If you give each sentient creature "genes" determining some things (strength, natural armour resistance, aptitude with certain weapons) then the ones with good genes may end up with more children, and thus you may end up with creatures that gradually become better.  Or something.
If I've been reading correctly, the things required for natural selection [said genes, said genes getting passed on to offspring] are in the game, so, limited evolution / breeding is fully there. (See all eugenics posts related to this release-ALSO KNOWN AS "artificial selection".) Won't have enough mutation or variation to really get things moving though...
I think it's just about how Toady sees dwarves.  From what I gather poison is more against what Toady's idea of typical dwarven ethics are.
If we can't have a dwarven Grand Vizier/High Priest who'll slip the poison in the cup of the King while the diplomats who MIGHT use poison are here, then it'll need more work.

That is, personal variation of ethics ...feel like I need another pluralisation on there.

Actually, can see the whole gene system being used for the ethics as well...though they would be altered/passed on a bit differently
Lead is poisonous, but you would need rather a lot of it to induce a quick fatality.
Perhaps mounted on the end of a long haft. ;)

in re: pierce-type v maille: I have heard that, to an archer, a maille-shirt is "a lot of connected holes" or so. Another thought is that, to a small impact, it might actually DECREASE the contact area, and make the metal more likely to give. But I don't know.

Whew, caught up on FotF. And yes, that style of DMing is nice- though, (hp rant cut for time)

edit: Thought of some questions.
Is it possible to hack something off by parts, e.g. You hack at the Tree with your ☼Steel Battle Axe☼x15, the Tree is Felled? Alternately, having three arrows (broadheads assumed) strike precisely and end up severing an arm at the shoulder?

Related but separate, would a Stone Colossus (or similar) shatter (or appropriate) due to brittleness on proper strike from pick or hammer?
(Chisels were the original thought, though unlikely that one can apply properly in battle)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:26:06 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: August 20, 2009, 05:53:44 am »

Is it possible to hack something off by parts

Wait don't we have this now?

would a Stone Colossus (or similar) shatter (or appropriate) due to brittleness on proper strike from pick or hammer?

We have that in a way now. With the material system even more so.

Though isn't a Pick Piercing? Id think the Stone Collosus would be able to maintain structural integrity from a pick.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: August 20, 2009, 06:05:59 am »

Well, with a pick, we are talking about something intended for the breaking up of hard stones. It's late, I hope I'm not too incoherent.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: August 20, 2009, 06:13:26 am »

It depends on how far Toady has taken the material properties into combat damage. The pick breaks stone because it applies a large weight onto a small point. If Toady has worked the proper factors in, the pick's impulse applied to a small damage area (these are in, as far as I can tell) will overcome the rock's impact yield, and since it cannot be dented like metal, it will shatter.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: August 20, 2009, 06:59:06 am »

which minds me that, should we get these material physics applied to mining and such (they are not, afaik) then some of the following will fall out:
  • attacking walls, objects, etc., geomod (adv mode and other)
  • thus, siege attacks made easy(er)
  • determination of tile size due to needing wall thickness
Tilesets

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: August 20, 2009, 07:38:20 am »

The third won't be necessary. Currently, miners already do "damage" to walls when mining, there is simply no underlying material physics system. With the system in place, all it would boil down to is scaling the wall "hitpoints" such that the damage it receives per the new system scales well with the mining speed from before the update.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GaGrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: August 20, 2009, 09:08:38 am »

in re: pierce-type v maille: I have heard that, to an archer, a maille-shirt is "a lot of connected holes" or so. Another thought is that, to a small impact, it might actually DECREASE the contact area, and make the metal more likely to give. But I don't know.

That's something of a myth I can tell you.  Unless the maille is extremely poorly made, the links will form a fairly dense mesh.  Although cheaper maille certainly could have it's links forced apart or broken, an arrow-tip would still need to get a fairly lucky strike to pass through a link and break it like that.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: August 20, 2009, 10:53:25 am »

In terms of combat damage information, I think this is one of those times where realism should take a back seat to style(and as said, it lets the player know they're doing damage) - it also serves to, well, actually make visable use of the new damage and tissue system.

I would, however, support an init option to disable it, for those who would wish such, provided it's not too much added effort.

There is quite a bit argument over how good mesh-type armours (like maille/chain whatever you wish to call it) are against puncture-type impacts, due to the flex allowing them to more efficiently disperse the force without deformation of the armour's surface; meaning they are more likely to cause serious bruising and breaks than actually pierce the metal armour.

The initial impact, sure, but stabs and thrusts also have a secondary component that comes from the continuous force exerted by the attacker - it's one of the reasons modern soft armour can stop a bullet but not a knife.

If the weapon has a sufficently narrow point VS the ring size, you've also got the full force of the blow attempting the spread whatever ring it hooks(let's hope your mail's rivitted!) and push through.

...you were just speaking in general and not trying to contest plate > chain, tho, right?
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 1065