Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638726 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3900 on: August 15, 2009, 11:52:47 am »

That's all well and good, but now that adamantine officially has zero flexibility, how can clothing be made out of it?

Adamantine strands might have different material properties than the processed wafers, or the clothing might be more like chain mail (deriving its flexibility from joints rather than flexible fibers) than normal clothing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: August 15, 2009, 12:00:19 pm »

I guess the cave spiders could just sprawl their webs arond the floor. If web making involved z-levels, then they could make vertical webs, but I can see all kinds of problems arising from the way things are now.

Given that the caves will have side pockets (probably), so the GCS could make their webs there.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: August 15, 2009, 12:40:37 pm »

Well, the reason I brought up GCS is because I don't know if they make one big web and that's it or if they repair it or periodically make more. It'd probably have to have different decay rates than normal cave spiders.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: August 15, 2009, 12:49:20 pm »

According to the wiki and from pics I've seen, they make a big web which more or less resembles a real spider web.

I've only run into the abandoned remnants of GCS webs with the owner nowhere to be found, so I can't confirm through my own experience.

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: August 15, 2009, 02:42:31 pm »

I recall playing a map with GCS (well ZGCS actually, zombie giant cave spiders), and I had a giant web sprawled partially over a chasm, the rest over the z-level until it hit a mountain, with indeed the resemblance of a real spider web.

And yes, ZGCS are horrible death-machines.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: August 15, 2009, 02:47:10 pm »

The stated reason for hair having that tag is because the actual material involved, keratin, IS hard, and hair just happens to be made out of thin fibers containing it, so the softness is more a property of the object than the material, sort of like steel wool. Granted, the sort of keratin in hair isn't as hard as the kind in fingernails, but it's still fairly tough.

That's all well and good, but now that adamantine officially has zero flexibility, how can clothing be made out of it?

It has no flexibility? Where do you see this?

I know it's still ridiculously light, so hammers made out of it won't be great, but I don't remember anything about it being inflexible.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: August 15, 2009, 03:05:36 pm »

The stated reason for hair having that tag is because the actual material involved, keratin, IS hard, and hair just happens to be made out of thin fibers containing it, so the softness is more a property of the object than the material, sort of like steel wool. Granted, the sort of keratin in hair isn't as hard as the kind in fingernails, but it's still fairly tough.

Here but now that I look again I see it's actually "elasticity" that's zero, I'm not exactly sure what that means.
Akur Akir Akam!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: August 15, 2009, 03:10:49 pm »

I believe that would be it's ability to bend or the amount of force needed to bend it.

I think we are all going to need a crash course on intro to metallurgy with this, heh.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: August 15, 2009, 03:14:37 pm »

Here but now that I look again I see it's actually "elasticity" that's zero, I'm not exactly sure what that means.

Elasticity is elasticity. The ability for a material to get bent out of shape and then return to its usual shape again. I'm not sure what ramifications this would have for materials like this, but yeah, I wouldn't expect adamantine to be very elastic.

I'm honestly not sure what governs flexibility in those raws, but I'd be interested to find out.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: August 15, 2009, 03:16:53 pm »

Elasticity is elasticity. The ability for a material to get bent out of shape and then return to its usual shape again. I'm not sure what ramifications this would have for materials like this, but yeah, I wouldn't expect adamantine to be very elastic.

I'm honestly not sure what governs flexibility in those raws, but I'd be interested to find out.

Basically, it's fucking hard  ;D
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: August 15, 2009, 03:22:52 pm »

Yes, zero elasticity would really mean the material would be impossible to bend under normal circumstances. This shouldn't really be the case for adamantine, since it is processed from threads into wafers. Actually, the best thing I can imagine that fits the adamantine properties it carbon fiber. It really is ridiculously hard when properly processed, and is usually applied in form of patches of a clothlike material made from interwoven fibers. I can see DF's adamantine being something very similar.

edit: actually, no, scratch that bit about elasticity. It usually indicates an object's ability to return to its former shape when bent or otherwise acted upon. Stiffness is the parameter for resistance to force.
edit2: the various YIELD tags seem to be relevant to the bending thing, at least they would if they were implemented. Yield is the amount of force the object can withstand before its elasticity threshold is overcome and the damage becomes permanent.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:29:41 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: August 15, 2009, 03:30:32 pm »

I looked up young's modulus and it's a whole formula that measures the tensile strength of materials. Wikipedia seems to explain it pretty well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young%27s_modulus

I'm not sure what this means for adamantine, maybe it bends easily but needs incredible amounts of force to do so?

This also puts into question just HOW they forge it in the first place as it's far harder than diamond. Might as well be a fragment of a neutron star.

Edit: Oh yea, I looked at the raws for other materials and alot of them have 0 for elasticity, including skin. So, that makes me think, adamantine acts like rubber???
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:34:02 pm by smjjames »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3912 on: August 15, 2009, 05:09:13 pm »

An elasticity of 0 means that, regardless of how much force was applied to it in either a tensile (pulling) or compressive (pushing) manner, the Adamantine would not change length in the slightest. I assume the YIELD is the yield stress, which is when the material can no longer return to its original length and is plasticly deformed. In Adamantine's case, this is also the stress at which it breaks.

EDIT: I never thought I'd use any of this stuff again, but there you go.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: August 15, 2009, 05:31:26 pm »

Adamantine is also apparently incredibly light as it's solid and liquid densities are the lightest of anything. That property would be similar to a gas or maybe aerogel.

Lithare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: August 15, 2009, 06:17:44 pm »

I just wanted to say that as a long, long time nerd and video game player, very few games have kept me coming back time after time after time.  Colonization, Planescape:  Torment, and a few other random picks...and this one.  I love seeing what you'll come up with next.  Keep up the good work!  if I ever manage to get a steady job that has decent pay, I'll send some financial lovin your way.
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 1065