Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638729 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3885 on: August 15, 2009, 01:03:41 am »

You might get the antmen angry at you though!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: August 15, 2009, 01:24:27 am »

As dwarves never left the caves and even started making their own,

Dwarves probably have evolved more nasal hair and denser more active whiphairs(?) in the sophagus(?) and maybe even novel biomechanisms to deal with airborne dustparticles.

These filtering adaptations probably affect lungcapacity or at least hinder fast breathing.

In any case most older dwarves probably suffer from silicosis to some degree.

Nah, they have villi that collect the silicon particles in a small pouch in their lungs.  Once a small photosensor in the nose detects enough ambient light to ensure they're no longer going to recontaminate the cave, the particulate solution is expelled.  Under normal circumstances, this is all but unnoticeable - but expelling an overly large volume may end up being somewhat sickening.

I see what you did there.  ;D

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: August 15, 2009, 01:25:39 am »

I'll be fine if there are still bottomless pits in the HFS.  U've always prefered dumping stuff in there.  Though from what I understand, that might not be very practical given some of the changes I've heard of.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: August 15, 2009, 01:31:38 am »

Bottomless pits MIGHT still be present in one form or another though, the UG rivers have that mini-bottomless pit which they empty into. Although, it sounds like the UG water features are getting a revamp and are different from the way they used to be.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: August 15, 2009, 01:41:58 am »

You might get the antmen angry at you though!

Hurm.

...how much is antman chitin worth?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: August 15, 2009, 01:59:12 am »

I'll be fine if there are still bottomless pits in the HFS.  U've always prefered dumping stuff in there.  Though from what I understand, that might not be very practical given some of the changes I've heard of.

Well from what I understand they may be bottomless but on a less dramatic scale then the actual bottomless pits.

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: August 15, 2009, 03:55:16 am »

Toady and Threetoe, thanks for all the work on the next version... pretty much all of the new features sound awesome to me, especially the improved interaction with the rest of the world. If my new book is a success, expect a BIG donation  :-*

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: August 15, 2009, 08:31:12 am »

When going through the new raws, I found something interesting:

Quote from: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/spoilers/raws-12-18-08/material_template_default.txt
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
   Determines what sorts of objects can be built with the item.
   [ITEMS_HARD]
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HAIR_TEMPLATE]
   [ITEMS_HARD]

This leads me to the question whether you'll be able to make chairs/tables/... from hair, or just crafts?

Sorry if it's already been asked, I searched and found nothing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:00:38 am by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: August 15, 2009, 09:41:33 am »

It's been asked, back when the preliminary raws were first revealed.  Toady said that it wasn't perfect, and the ITEMS_HARD tag didn't mean exactly what it sounds like, but it'll probably be changed, and since there's no way to actually collect hair and make things with it (or many other body parts) it'll never come up anyway.

Still wacky though.  Horse hair platemail?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: August 15, 2009, 09:42:58 am »

That's AWESOMESAUCE.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: August 15, 2009, 09:50:07 am »

VOMIT THONGS!!!
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: August 15, 2009, 10:24:30 am »

since there's no way to actually collect hair and make things with it (or many other body parts) it'll never come up anyway.

You never know.  "Handling butchery/rot/fish cleaning/eat leavings vs. body materials" is still on the list, so it's possible we might get some cursory support for wool/hair as a butchering byproduct.  I think it can more or less be treated like silk (in terms of how it's used in jobs etc.), so it's not really any weirder than ivory, horn, and pearl.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: August 15, 2009, 10:54:07 am »

Well from what I understand they may be bottomless but on a less dramatic scale then the actual bottomless pits.

Like...less bottomless?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: August 15, 2009, 10:59:24 am »

The stated reason for hair having that tag is because the actual material involved, keratin, IS hard, and hair just happens to be made out of thin fibers containing it, so the softness is more a property of the object than the material, sort of like steel wool. Granted, the sort of keratin in hair isn't as hard as the kind in fingernails, but it's still fairly tough.

Regarding bottomless pits, yes, bottomless pits and chasms are out. However, Toady said they MIGHT make it into the new HFS in some way. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm just wondering what exactly giant cave spiders are going to build their webs across without them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: August 15, 2009, 11:45:07 am »

The stated reason for hair having that tag is because the actual material involved, keratin, IS hard, and hair just happens to be made out of thin fibers containing it, so the softness is more a property of the object than the material, sort of like steel wool. Granted, the sort of keratin in hair isn't as hard as the kind in fingernails, but it's still fairly tough.

That's all well and good, but now that adamantine officially has zero flexibility, how can clothing be made out of it?
Akur Akir Akam!
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 1065