Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638565 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3810 on: August 12, 2009, 05:19:00 pm »

Yes, but not all maps have magma.  Although my current one does, of course ;D.

My point was that with the lighting update dwarves would be able to light fires to get torches burning, so they might also be able to burn rubbish.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: August 12, 2009, 05:26:05 pm »

Any furnace workshop would suffice plus a 'burn/destroy' designation like melt....
probably a smelter reaction taking a clothing (no wood/coal or maybe a fraction) and producing ashes fractions can be modded in.

Though I'd hate to abuse a smelter or smithy for such a lowly purpose.

edit: also the skill bonus to any smelter operator burning the spoils of goblinwar would be unbalancing.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:29:22 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: August 12, 2009, 05:30:01 pm »

Yea, true. Also, Areyar forgot to mention tossing them into a chasm, but the same problem applies to magma.

BTW, I made a suggestion about an incinerator of some kind a few months ago, this would go well with burning stuff in the refuse pile.

A much easier way of separating the narrow/large stuff from the normal clothes would be good, although there is a post over on the DF questions or fortress discussion saying about a method using stockpiles.

@Areyar: A wood burning furnace would work best.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: August 12, 2009, 05:34:09 pm »

Yea, true. Also, Areyar forgot to mention tossing them into a chasm, but the same problem applies to magma.

BTW, I made a suggestion about an incinerator of some kind a few months ago, this would go well with burning stuff in the refuse pile.

A much easier way of separating the narrow/large stuff from the normal clothes would be good, although there is a post over on the DF questions or fortress discussion saying about a method using stockpiles.

yes, I agree.
But it is possible to mod reactions for the smelter only (for now).
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: August 12, 2009, 07:57:50 pm »

I just use the caravans to get rid of my useless goblin junk.  I only melt goblin armor for the iron.  The advantage of this over magma or pit dumping is that your dwarfs gain xp for trading... Even though they are often just giving it away.  That said I look forward to the day when other civs stop paying me 600 for a giant cave spider shirt they can't possibly wear.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: August 12, 2009, 10:29:43 pm »

CULTURAL_CHOICE
[ETHIC:USE_POISON_UNACCEPTABLE]
Seconded.

I also second the suggestion about being able to burn stuff, whatever method is used.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: August 12, 2009, 11:19:41 pm »

Once again, as always, my response to incinerator ideas is this;

A garbage incinerator should not require additional fuel, and wooden items (or weird stuff like a coal/modded-material sculpture?) should be substitutable for fuel if so designated.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #3817 on: August 13, 2009, 12:52:54 am »

I love Dwarf Fortress and enjoy watching all the updates and progress. Stay amazing Toady!

Question:

Will the underground stuff be found readily available on all map tiles?
Or will we have to search around and hope to get lucky?

[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

shiruba

• Bay Watcher
  • Eto eto... eto eto...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: August 13, 2009, 09:41:24 am »

I think every humanoid race should be able do to anything, dwarves should only do "dwarven" things better

The issue is that that in turn eliminates a lot of the culture and morality from the many races while your playing them and often advantages or minor disadvantages break the feeling that it is a unique race but rather a set of attributes (With exceptions of course but I am speaking as a whole)

For example, if your playing a Race that things murder is wrong why should assasinating your own people be acceptable? Toady doesn't want to eliminate the ability to do so but so much as when you do something strongly against the morality of the race your playing you are demonstrating an extreme shift in ethics in that town/fortress/retreat and thus bad things will happen such as the bulk of your population abandoning you. There is more but that is just a small introduction to the subject.

that doesnt really contradicts what i have said. Dynamic changing ethics/attitudes are even better than I suggested. I would love to see captured elves after years slaved in a dwarf fortress starting to "need alchool to get to the working day" and getting their axes to chop some wood.

(snip...)

As for poison, if there were tokens such as [ETHIC:USE_POISON_UNACCEPTABLE] which were applied by default to the dwarf entity, it would pretty much solve the problem, as shiruba's tribe of jungle dwarves with poison blowdarts could be easily modded in for a fortress by changing the ethic and letting dorfs use blowguns.
Best of both wurbles.

Like I said before, let the dwarves suck at blowdarts, let them level 100 times slower if needed, but allow the jungle fortress have some badass savage-legendary-blowdarts dwarfs after some generations.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:52:39 am by shiruba »
"ONORE DIKEIDO, THIS WORLD NO SEKAI SHALL BE YOUR DOOM DESU NE"

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: August 13, 2009, 10:12:16 am »

I've been playing DF for a long time now, and I signed up just now because I wanted to share my support.

Please, Toady, Threetoe, keep this thing alive! You are making what possibly's gonna be the greatest and most versatile game in gaming history (although in my opinion it already is). The possibilities for expanding it are endless, and I'm just dreaming of this game within a few years, having a name change, just being called Sim Earth.  ;D

Keep at it, Toady. Laugh in the face of god. You have my support for what you're going to make of it, and my respect for what you've already made, and the same goes for countless other people. Whatever you do with this game, just keep it alive!   :D

Grtz from Belgium  ;)

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: August 13, 2009, 10:56:35 am »

It would be nice if there were a new option for the ethics, "CULTURAL_CHOICE".  That means that some cultures of that race would find it acceptable while other cultures don't.

As for burning refuse piles, that could come with updates about lighting and so on.

They already do - ENTITY is what you're talking about when you say "culture". To make an alternate group of evil dwarves that use poison and torture and whatever, just make a new entity with the same creature type.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: August 13, 2009, 11:02:17 am »

That shouldn't be necessary. Different civilizations of the same entity should be able to have different ethics, and Toady has actually explicitly planned for this eventually by storing the ethics data in the civs themselves, so that they can change.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: August 13, 2009, 11:04:20 am »

let the dwarves suck at blowdarts

This is kinda an artificial limitation. I can understand them being lousy at it if they had poor lung capacity.

Blowdarts can be seen as a lost technology (In today's time we don't lose technology but in the past anything people no longer used often became lost) and thus the Dwarves don't know how to make it or even have the inclination to.

Dang had a response for G-Flex but I gotta go to the Dentist to find out how my love of Icecream Sundaes is ruining my perfect teeth.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: August 13, 2009, 11:12:57 am »

That shouldn't be necessary. Different civilizations of the same entity should be able to have different ethics, and Toady has actually explicitly planned for this eventually by storing the ethics data in the civs themselves, so that they can change.
Yes, basically.  Making a new entity means you will always get one of those entities, and you will only get "Good dwarfs" or "Bad dwarfs".  You could make some intermediates, but that would take rather a while and might do strange things to Worldgen.  If the civilisations are allowed some scope for variation it could be more interesting, and could lead to within species war.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: August 13, 2009, 11:24:41 am »

Toady has mentioned poisoned weapons being sort of undwarflike, and I was trying to think of why.

Two possible, realistic reasons:
  • The kinds of biological poisons used in blowdarts and on weapons might just not be very accessible to dwarves, except for maybe things like cave spider venom. Not sure about this one.
  • Not sure about this one either, but maybe dwarves just don't have a lot of resistance TO biological toxins. In the real world, humans do because they spent their entire prehistory eating weird stuff they found growing and on the ground, so we've basically got super-livers. Dwarves, living underground, I can see not being so resilient. I can see them having ridiculous resistance to mineral-based and other environmental toxins, but as far as more organic stuff is concerned, I can see them being weaker. But I'm not really sure of this either, since an overall hardy constitution is one of the main accepted truths about dwarves in the first place.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 1065