Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638340 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3780 on: August 12, 2009, 06:33:06 am »

I drew the first dwarf described in the dev-log.

Looks too much like a fat leperchaun with all the green.

Phant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: August 12, 2009, 06:37:54 am »

Man, I just thought they made a hunk of metal as big as they could get without breaking the stick, and then whacked stuff with it.

I think that would qualify as a maul, which the Wikipedia disambiguation page describes as "a simply-made or oversized war hammer"

In my experience, Maul also tends to signify a weapon of a size meant to be swung with both hands/arms. 

And throwing daggers? Cmon... thats hardly dwarfy, why not something along the lines of one of the many, many edged throwing axes used by various African peoples? Like so
or even a Francesca for that matter...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: August 12, 2009, 07:57:39 am »

They'd just throw a handful of knives, wouldn't they?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: August 12, 2009, 08:03:04 am »

Regarding war hammers, making them as heavy as possible is an extremely awful idea.

You need to be able to actually swing the thing. Fast and accurately. They tended to have relatively small (but dense) heads, often with a sort of pick on one side of it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: August 12, 2009, 08:07:06 am »

Regarding war hammers, making them as heavy as possible is an extremely awful idea.

You need to be able to actually swing the thing. Fast and accurately. They tended to have relatively small (but dense) heads, often with a sort of pick on one side of it.

Yes, something like this:

That's...well, hammer that's fit for war.

The HUGE hammer/thing is maul/sledgehammer.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: August 12, 2009, 08:24:39 am »

Just read the new descriptions.

My first impressions is that they seem very random in the sense that every description is just "His" and "His" and "His" giving the impression that it is just a bunch of random descriptors rather then a coherant mass. (I am sure Toady will eventually add structure)

My second is that some qualifiers like "Extremely" arn't too telling in a fantasy game. Is Extremely like Cicero?

My third is that Olivine is soo nice you can like it twice!

Am I supposed to be putting this in spoilers?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:26:19 am by Neonivek »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: August 12, 2009, 08:25:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a pathfinding thing...  You know the lag that comes from animals constantly pathfinding to someplace behind a 'no pets' door?  Same principle here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: August 12, 2009, 08:44:45 am »

WHOA!!! I didn't even notice Toady answered one of my questions. Too bad I didn't notice earlier.

Complete?  I don't understand.  I've never met a serious martial arts person that thought they were done with anything.  Do you mean applying new knowledge from new styles to moves that you learned before in old styles?  Or something about style construction?

Style construction was basically what I was asking about. (this was written before the rest)

What I mean is a sense that a martial art style is complete; ignoring subsets, alternate styles, and when applied to different mediums; not a martial artist being complete. So to rephrase: Will there be a sense in this game that a martial art style is complete or can it effectively end up with hundreds of moves, stances, and meditations and keep growing?
-Reminds me of an old phrase: Beware not the person who practiced a million moves once but the person who practiced one move a million times.

The Second aspect was, can you take an older style you created that was horrible, but lets say otherwise complete or not, and improve it and/or replace some of the aspects?

To add something (I am a horrible person) to it: In Martial Art styles will there be Fringe/esoteric moves or movesets, outside of alternate versions, that are not required for Mastery of the style but are available to those who need to learn it? Actually this could be expanded to will all martial arts be structured in a similar way with the same paths to learning it or can there be a martial art where the main style is in fact the basics and mastery is picking up one of the alternate styles or Subsets and another where the main style is all that is required for mastery and the subsets represent offshoots?

Goodness... There are a lot of questions you can make for martial arts...

Once again Thanks a lot Toady for answering my/our questions. It stuns me everytime.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:28:50 am by Neonivek »

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: August 12, 2009, 08:46:33 am »

If dwarfs can climb ropes, and animals can't, we've finally invented animal pens.

Have the pen accessible via a door, then lock the door after they haul the cages in.

Release the animals, then climb out via a rope.

You could use the same setup to trap pets in a drowning chamber - if they can't follow their masters up the escape rope. :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:48:12 am by Name Lips »

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: August 12, 2009, 08:54:57 am »

And re: the debate about whether certain things are "dwarfy" or not - such as poison, throwing knives, soap, shaving, and so on... why not allow the player to decide? Even if he doesn't want his dwarves using those things, he might still want to manufacture them for export. And who's to say you should be FORBIDDEN to allow your dwarves to use these things? If you don't think they're dwarven, don't use them.

But I kind of like the sandbox notion, where if I want to create a tribe of jungle dwarves who have, due to necessity, learned to hunt with poison blowdarts, I know I can do it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: August 12, 2009, 08:56:11 am »

If dwarfs can climb ropes, and animals can't, we've finally invented animal pens.

Have the pen accessible via a door, then lock the door after they haul the cages in.

Release the animals, then climb out via a rope.

You could use the same setup to trap pets in a drowning chamber - if they can't follow their masters up the escape rope. :D
If by "release" you mean "Drop them down the rope" that sounds like a great idea.  Anyway, soap and shaving and things like that could be part of a wider attempt to make dwarves have more needs to stay happy and stuff.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: August 12, 2009, 08:59:11 am »

You guys do realize that Toady hasn't said anything about how he'll implement ropes or ladders or such, or when he'll get to them at all, right?  This rope discussion seems like it's taking on unwarranted gravity for the dev-thread.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: August 12, 2009, 09:01:01 am »

Yeah, he just said

Consider rope/ladder/etc. building particularly for downward movement into large open spaces

I have a feeling that we'll get something like this, perhaps not the fully interacting swaying ropes, but something which allows us to get down into the big caverns that will be there from the subterranian update.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: August 12, 2009, 09:25:37 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a pathfinding thing...  You know the lag that comes from animals constantly pathfinding to someplace behind a 'no pets' door?  Same principle here.

Maybe the door thing wasn't that great of an example, but it's still just an idea that Toady could work off of, unless he has a plan in mind for this. Although it seems like he is in the same situation as we are in that we aren't sure how to pull it off as far as the pathfinding. I would be happy with a jury rigged hack involving constructing stairs. Given that the spaces involved are going to be huge (think Carlsbad Caverns or some other cave system with huge chambers), it's critical that we have a way besides tunneling over to a wall, but sometimes even that method would be impratical or impossible.

Actually, I have an idea just now, how about we add a tag that is specific for this building that you put into the raws..... or maybe that's the same as my previous idea.

shiruba

• Bay Watcher
  • Eto eto... eto eto...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: August 12, 2009, 01:35:05 pm »

And re: the debate about whether certain things are "dwarfy" or not - such as poison, throwing knives, soap, shaving, and so on... why not allow the player to decide? Even if he doesn't want his dwarves using those things, he might still want to manufacture them for export. And who's to say you should be FORBIDDEN to allow your dwarves to use these things? If you don't think they're dwarven, don't use them.

But I kind of like the sandbox notion, where if I want to create a tribe of jungle dwarves who have, due to necessity, learned to hunt with poison blowdarts, I know I can do it.

Tottaly seconded, btw I am not trying to criticize the game, I love it, but I think every humanoid race should be able do to anything, dwarves should only do "dwarven" things better.

as a classic cliché, humans should be the most average civ of all, dwarves should have trouble grasping the gist of non-dwarven stuff (read like: slow leveling) but should get to be legendary miners in no time! At least, if Toady or the Community doesnt agree with that, the option to do so should still be modable or switched on/off in the options or something.

sandbox and customization should be the final fate of every great game! =D

now, derailing a bit: will this update be 100% on the army arc and stuff on the dev list? none of the very annoying but small issues with "no pets" door or "driftwood" will be adressed? sorry if that was asked before!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:40:10 pm by shiruba »
"ONORE DIKEIDO, THIS WORLD NO SEKAI SHALL BE YOUR DOOM DESU NE"
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 1065