Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624443 times)

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3570 on: August 07, 2009, 09:03:07 am »

40d14 is ALMOST HERE!!! Im dying from anticipation... 1st thing to do is study all new AWESOMENESSES! We should add an "Awesome" tag to Toady... JUST FREAKIN AWESOME! ;D

Just in case you or anyone else is misthinking, 40d14 only contains the graphics/interface updates being worked on in this thread.  None of the new features for the next "real" release of DF, the stuff on the dev pages, will be a part of the 40d14 release, nor will they be for any 40d# release afterward either, most likely.  The thread just linked has a list of changes for the 40d# series in the OP.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: August 07, 2009, 09:31:28 am »

waldoknoesen cancels epic enthusiasm: Reality bites.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: August 07, 2009, 10:30:46 am »

waldoknoesen cancels epic enthusiasm: Reality bites.
ouch ;D

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: August 07, 2009, 10:47:33 am »

I don't think evolution is necessary or even a good idea for this game.
The world's reality is a small region or pocket universe in a fantasy multiverse* with deamons, gods (...though these do nothing fantastic as yet).
As in fantasy settings in general laws of nature are obeyed, magic or fantastic creatures can however create arbitrary rules that negate or subvert the rules.

*This being my interpretation of a Region having edges that don't line up with anything and creating multiple Regions with identical rules but alternate histories.

---
No fear: the next release by Toady1 WILL contain every feature talked about in the OP. :)
40d graphical tweaks are a 3rd party collaboration for improved grapics handling and interface, successfull results from this experimentation will most likely be absorbed into the main trunk of DF in due time. (In case that was unclear ;))
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: August 07, 2009, 10:57:09 am »

Watch out!  I'm betting 90% of worlds genned in the next release will have the civilizations timeline being like this:

The Beginning: Sites will take over land nearby that fits their criteria.  Lots of minor powers.

The Conflict:  Civilizations will fight over territory that overlaps.

The Resolution:  One side will win an take over.  About 3 or 4 major powers will be left be then.

The Peace:  The remaining civilizations will not fight with each other and live in peace.

The Boom:  Populations in the 3 remaining major powers will explode with the lack of deaths.  Food will be up too.

The FAT:  Populations will begin to grow fat from all the food they have and less work.

The Decline:  Reproduction will go down from all the ugly people.

The End:  The remaining fat dwarves, elves, humans, etc. will die off and all sentient creatures will have vanished.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: August 07, 2009, 11:06:54 am »

How about Evolution? First people only appear after some years, as they, well, evolved from other animals or something.

''Rhesus Macaque -> Elves'' anyone?

Technically,
"[common ancestor] -> divergence to *Elves and *Rhesus Macaques"

It'd be like a stooped pointy-eared whiskery thing that swings through the trees whining about lumberjacks.
 :P

I always figured Elves were actually trees.  Not descended from trees, but actual trees.  They're like the Pequininos from Speaker for the Dead (and the two books after it).
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: August 07, 2009, 03:25:48 pm »

No fear: the next release by Toady1 WILL contain every feature talked about in the OP.
Apart from any of the ones that have been put off.  Quite a bit of the Venom section has been delayed or put off, but most of the rest is still coming.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: August 07, 2009, 04:27:16 pm »

Hmm the interview gives a strong impression that Toady may want to go in the dirrection of making the player in Fortress mode a real being.

Interesting.

Sparkles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: August 07, 2009, 04:46:14 pm »

Hmm the interview gives a strong impression that Toady may want to go in the dirrection of making the player in Fortress mode a real being.

Interesting.

I see the end result of DF as a combination of Fortress mode and Adventurer mode.  You start a character in the mountainhome, find 6 other crazy bastards to follow you, buy some supplies, take them on a death-defying adventure across the land, and then start bossing them around, telling who to dig and what to build and all.

Added Benefit: When "someone" (you) pulls the death lever of magma flooding, you can walk back to the mountainhome, get 6 other crazies to follow you, and try again, all without exiting the game! ;D

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: August 07, 2009, 05:02:17 pm »

What format is the interview in?

And is there a transcript available?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: August 07, 2009, 05:49:24 pm »

Should be pretty obvious from the filename that it's MP3 (unless you meant something else by "format").

No transcript, at least not that I know of.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: August 07, 2009, 07:23:23 pm »

I hope that blackout was a technical issue and not the physical version. 'cause that sucks. But if the Party at the -Pinewood table- in 3-toe's appartment was really wild, APND (alcohol primed neuron death) is probably the underlying cause, and no need to be worried for mysterious ilnesses. Offcourse lack of sleep also can cause moments of disorentation etc, I would not want to accuse Tarn of suffering from Korzachovs. ;)

...I may have spelled that wrongly.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: August 07, 2009, 09:15:56 pm »

I always figured Elves were actually trees.  Not descended from trees, but actual trees. 
I can see the mistake there. Here's the difference: you cut trees with woodcutters. You cut elves with axedwarves.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: August 08, 2009, 05:31:03 am »

both burn equally well though...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: August 08, 2009, 05:55:46 am »

I think this new manerism system holds untold potential: the same/similar system could control stuff like what side a tile is mined, pathfinding weights in some instances, if an idler stands in one spot or wanders around, etc. It would also be awesome if they triggered events/announcements in adventure mode or advneture mode dialog etc. And probably a bunch of other minnor behaviors.
It might be a good idea to make it posible to link a mannerism to a spesific place, item, or person, to underline the change of that persons life when said object is lost or destroyed. I am reminded of how peaple whos near relatives have died sometimes (atleast in fiction) talk to their portrait, or their empty chair. That last one actualy ties in two mannerisms; sitting in a spesific chair, and talking to a spesific person.
A more spesific example might be how in the Clan Stonmane story there's a noble that when upset strokes a doll he made during a fey mood for comfort.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 1065