Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624442 times)

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3555 on: August 06, 2009, 06:05:24 pm »

When I wrote "creation" I actually meant the godly-creation: "dwarves pop out of the earth, elves spawn in forests, READY FOR COMBAT" thing, rather than the whole evolution idea that I defended back there because... yeah because of what I said. Watching frogs turn into dwarves over millions of years is not as thrilling as it sounds, I think, and my point kind of was that it would be perfectly inside DF's insane range of possibilities to have evolution but not... advisable from a game point of view.

But let's not derail the thread any more with this. How about a few questions instead:

Since dwarves now have birthdays, will these specific dates have an influence on their mood/thoughts? Will they throw a party? How about being stationed on guard duty, patrolling the wall in the nauseating sun on their birthdays? Will positive/negative thoughts be gained or do DF dwarves think of a birthday as "just another day"?

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: August 06, 2009, 06:13:43 pm »

Okay, this topic is rapidly heading into FATAL territory.
I hate you.
Seconded. I have no idea why I actually read the whole thing. I need Brain-bleach and a refund for my lost IQ points. I suppose it beats actually reading the game manuals.

Back on subject, starting entities in civilizations should read something like "[Name] was born on the [date] of [month], [year] years before the Age of [Age-name] began." Notable wild animals (i.e. Dwarf-killers) shouldn't have a date, but they should have a year.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: August 06, 2009, 08:11:10 pm »

I have likely said this before, but I usually consider Year 0 to be the beginning of recorded history in my genned worlds.

A negative-year start date would be good for this, as it'd allow you to run no-hassle population simulation without recording any of the events other than general "legends say X" in a vague way, then start the real details at year "0" for recorded history.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: August 06, 2009, 08:13:22 pm »

Ah, two things finished since I last checked here.  Excellant.

Wounds and combat seems to be on its last legs too.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: August 06, 2009, 08:16:20 pm »

What does Toady mean by Upgrade Priest?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: August 06, 2009, 08:35:12 pm »

What does Toady mean by Upgrade Priest?

Where?  I see an "update priest," which I assume meant that he made Priests compatable with the new format.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: August 06, 2009, 08:58:55 pm »

as per this thread will we be able to manage our modded raws from in game, or will e have to do that manually?

to quote the most relevant part :

We could have a teplate raw folder that would keep all the mods separate, and when we gen a world we could chose which raw set to use. Then those raw files would be copied to the world folder. Installing a new mod would be as simple as making a new folder in the template directory and coping the new raws there.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: August 06, 2009, 09:35:33 pm »

Oh cool, now we get to see how old our dwarves are!  I've actually been wanting that for a long time.

Great, do you know how much time I wasted re-rolling fortresses back when names were random? (I still have to resist the urge to reroll until I get the perfect set of dwarf names, genders and mineral preferences.) This is just another visible random variable that doesn't really affect anything that I'm going to feel compelled to get JUST RIGHT!

:-\

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: August 06, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »

How about Evolution? First people only appear after some years, as they, well, evolved from other animals or something.

''Rhesus Macaque -> Elves'' anyone?

Technically,
"[common ancestor] -> divergence to *Elves and *Rhesus Macaques"

It'd be like a stooped pointy-eared whiskery thing that swings through the trees whining about lumberjacks.
 :P

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: August 06, 2009, 10:56:25 pm »

Wounds and combat seems to be on its last legs too.
Interesting way to put it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: August 06, 2009, 11:22:06 pm »

Oh cool, now we get to see how old our dwarves are!  I've actually been wanting that for a long time.

Great, do you know how much time I wasted re-rolling fortresses back when names were random? (I still have to resist the urge to reroll until I get the perfect set of dwarf names, genders and mineral preferences.) This is just another visible random variable that doesn't really affect anything that I'm going to feel compelled to get JUST RIGHT!

:-\

Aren't the names still technically random?

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: August 07, 2009, 12:02:04 am »

How about Evolution? First people only appear after some years, as they, well, evolved from other animals or something.

''Rhesus Macaque -> Elves'' anyone?

Technically,
"[common ancestor] -> divergence to *Elves and *Rhesus Macaques"

It'd be like a stooped pointy-eared whiskery thing that swings through the trees whining about lumberjacks.
 :P

Hmm ... good point.

Wait, one more thing. Life on Earth evolved in water first. So maybe, we're all came from prehistorical Carp??
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: August 07, 2009, 07:05:30 am »

40d14 is ALMOST HERE!!! Im dying from anticipation... 1st thing to do is study all new AWESOMENESSES! We should add an "Awesome" tag to Toady... JUST FREAKIN AWESOME! ;D
Waldo having a rampage @ goblin site

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: August 07, 2009, 08:27:57 am »

What's the actual difference in in the 40d's?

I'm using 40d11 atm.  Any real difference since then?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: August 07, 2009, 08:43:16 am »

Evolution on a grand scale is gonna be pretty hard to implement (and possibly not a good idea in a fantasy genre game).  However, I think small scale natural selection might work.  If you give each sentient creature "genes" determining some things (strength, natural armour resistance, aptitude with certain weapons) then the ones with good genes may end up with more children, and thus you may end up with creatures that gradually become better.  Or something.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 1065