Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624355 times)

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3525 on: August 05, 2009, 09:07:34 pm »

Okay, this topic is rapidly heading into FATAL territory.

Wow, I read way too much of that before forcing myself to close the tab. disturbing

Anyway, I'm not really so interested in having full explicit detail of dwarves sexual escapades. Dismembering, vomiting, magma..  choking enemies with their entrails..   these are the things I'm interested in. :P

I agree with the earlier post concerning this point. A simple distance check between a couple (or just same tile) before a female creature may become pregnant is sufficient in my opinion. Accompanying announcements are of course a given at this point...  but I really question the value in adding explicit details just to be explicit.

There are a lot more useful things I'd like to see completed first.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: August 05, 2009, 09:18:13 pm »

Emergency Thread Re-Railing

So, how is metabolism determined?
What does it effect?
Is there the slightest chance that a dwarf could get an overly-fast metabolism and poor energy storage?
Will said dwarf be stuck in perma eat mode?

How is energy storage determined?
Is fat burned in strenuous activity?
Would stuffing the military on cow-fried-cow be advisable before war for the extra energy?

Does different food grant different energy, or is it the act of eating?
Is there differentiation between minerals, vitamins, fats and calories?
Is it unhealthy to eat minced syrup for your only meal?
*could "minced" be replaced with a variable that could be any number of other food-prep words, as a quick fix to making cooking more interesting?
I.E. fried, baked, diced, julienned, grilled, flame broiled, pressed, salted, ect.

Will there ever be size differentiation for clothes?
What size is a dwarven child?
Are human children dwarf sized?

...That should be enough to avoid discussion of a sex-log.

Sparkles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: August 05, 2009, 09:19:28 pm »

I agree with the earlier post concerning this point. A simple distance check between a couple (or just same tile) before a female creature may become pregnant is sufficient in my opinion.

I immediately thought off creating a set of breeding chambers to measure the length of dwarven "goods".

Code: [Select]
O=O
|D|  <- newly pregnant female dwarf over a floor grate
O=O

<three floors down>

O=O
|D|  <- male dwarf with channels to the female
O=O

That's one endowed dwarf.

Edit: Sorry, ArkDelgato

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: August 05, 2009, 09:37:21 pm »

Okay, this topic is rapidly heading into FATAL territory.
I hate you.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: August 05, 2009, 09:49:47 pm »

Will there ever be size differentiation for clothes?

Are human children dwarf sized?

...That should be enough to avoid discussion of a sex-log.
Hrm.  While, on the one hand, size differentiation for clothes would be pretty cool from the stand-point of, "Hey, my dwarves are so fat that they can't wear any of the old clothes,"  It could get incredibly annoying from the stand-point of "I just want to build this wall!!!!!  Why are all my dwarves going to get new clothes?"

As for the human children being dwarf sized, I seem to remember Toady talking about muscular tissues granting size increases, so dwarves might even manage to be the same size as humans for some calculations.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: August 05, 2009, 09:51:28 pm »

I don't think the nutrition will be modelled that precisely.

Anyways, what's the status on the rope/ladders/suspended elevators/etc, especially for large open spaces?

It'll certainly be cool to have natural looking cave systems rather than a labrynthine maze of tunnels that look like they were made by insane miners. I tried the bigger so called 'older' versions of the caves, but they are just much bigger and much more labrynthine versions of the 'younger' caves.

As far as the rope ladder stuff, I can easily see the mners carrying rope with them in case they have to do some spelunking.

What about rope and pulley systems?

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: August 05, 2009, 10:25:49 pm »

A gurney flies into the emergency room, the bloated figure on it buried in a sea of LOLcats, bodily fluids, memes, and dancing pandas.  The doctors are grave.

Johnson! I need ten ccs of anti-defamethyl insructinefrin scornibin!
Another derailment?!  But sir, we ran out of ADMINS a dozen threads ago!
Ahh, shit!  He's on fire!
Threads get fevers?
No, you moron, they get flame wars!  Administer sixteen ccs of ten molar administratoricide!
No time for that, give 'em a shot of necrosybin tetra-relign-ifyn!
That could kill the discussion!
It's already dead, Bill!  It died when [337H4KS0r4357 posted a Rick-Roll!
My God, that isn't even how you spell 'lite in 1337!
GET US THAT NEEDLE JOHNSON!

Okay, sorry, couldn't resist.  First thing that came to mind, honestly.  Don't mind me.

Sorry for posting FATAL there, first thing that came to mind.  Though it is a good example of where these kinds of conversations can lead in geekdom...straight into the fuming maw of hell.

In more topical discourse, I would also like to hear about the rope ladders etc. thing that was mentioned.  Are we still getting them?  And, SUPER IMPORTANTLY, will we be able to link then to a lever that makes them wind up?  Because that would make really awesome adventure mode puzzles just so much more easy and, of course, Fun.

Full fledged pulley systems would be out...that would be better suited to a massive mechanics update.

...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: August 05, 2009, 10:39:00 pm »

Wouldn't be so bad of a link if it had been formatted, or correctly colored, or edited, or really, in any way readable...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: August 05, 2009, 10:46:14 pm »

I can see some simple pulley type systems or perhaps a belt style system bieng made with what we have right now. But yea, one thing at a time.

Emeralddragon2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: August 05, 2009, 11:05:42 pm »

Just because I am curious, are brooks and rivers going to be changed in any way?

Last time I checked, when dworfs fell into an unchanged river, there was no way out unless you dug a ramp,

Couldnt we have some part of the river lined with ramps?

Or maybe as a brook replacement, we could have the river source tiles produce water when the level is below 3, and line the river with ramps... (ramble ramble)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: August 05, 2009, 11:28:52 pm »

Just because I am curious, are brooks and rivers going to be changed in any way?

Last time I checked, when dworfs fell into an unchanged river, there was no way out unless you dug a ramp,

Couldnt we have some part of the river lined with ramps?

Or maybe as a brook replacement, we could have the river source tiles produce water when the level is below 3, and line the river with ramps... (ramble ramble)

i'd rather see dwarves able to climb out of a full river or pond.  i'd also like to see nearby dwarves jump in to save a friend.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: August 06, 2009, 03:07:11 am »

i'd rather see dwarves able to climb out of a full river or pond.  i'd also like to see nearby dwarves jump in to save a friend.

I innerly hope the second will be implemented before the first. For hilarious Justice.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: August 06, 2009, 04:01:39 am »

I innerly hope the second will be implemented before the first. For hilarious Justice.

The problem is, there would be a bug in which the rescuing dwarves instantly fall asleep.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: August 06, 2009, 05:57:42 am »

The problem is, there would be a bug in which the rescuing dwarves instantly fall asleep.

Nono. Not fall asleep: Bomrek DumDum cancels climb: dangerous territory.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: August 06, 2009, 07:44:12 am »

Oh cool, now we get to see how old our dwarves are!  I've actually been wanting that for a long time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 1065