Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624314 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3510 on: August 05, 2009, 04:57:33 am »

... and a bedroom for the dwarves in question.

What about risk taking dwarves doing it in the kitchen? With nearby dwarves being suitably mortified / enthralled? Might depend on the attitudes of the civilisation to such exhibitionism?

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: August 05, 2009, 05:21:08 am »

This is why i love DF. Its been the first serious attempt that I know of to emulate the complexities of life, death, and magma.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

shiruba

• Bay Watcher
  • Eto eto... eto eto...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: August 05, 2009, 06:23:16 am »

Again, I disagree. I think the game being ASCII makes it easier to deal with touchy subjects. Since by definition it doesn't need to be graphic. I don't expect to see an "Urist and Mimkot got it ON!" announcement or anything. For intelligent creatures would probably just be assumed to happen when they a) are in love, and b) sleep in the same tile

For animals, I do think they should a least cross paths, the spore thing is silly. Now I don't seriously expect to see neutering in the game, but we should at least have the ability to control breeding by keeping them physically separate.

Exactly. This is a great way to handle sex in DF, imo.

Exactly Exact!

"ONORE DIKEIDO, THIS WORLD NO SEKAI SHALL BE YOUR DOOM DESU NE"

Phant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: August 05, 2009, 06:56:58 am »

# Req509, CASTRATING ANIMALS, (Future): Dwarves should be able to castrate male animals. Spaying female animals might be beyond the ability of dwarves to do reliably.
Huh. I wonder if it will have any other effects, like making them less aggressive.
making it possible to neuter a blooded dragon for the sake of keeping it as a pet?

How difficult would THAT be? I imagine it requiring a squad of axedwarves...

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: August 05, 2009, 07:30:42 am »

making it possible to neuter a blooded dragon for the sake of keeping it as a pet?

External testes are a characteristic of only most mammals.  For reptiles they are on the inside, meaning that the surgery might be beyond dwarven technology.

(Incidentally, among the mammals that carry their balls on the inside, are elephants.  A species of some significance to DF players....)

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wanna help?
« Reply #3515 on: August 05, 2009, 08:00:04 am »

Hi Toady
I know you regularly deny help with coding from other people, but what about raw files etc?

Isn't there some monkey's work, that can be done by other people? Like formating, comparing, spellchecking, doublechecking etc?

I don't want to tell I have plethora of time, but if I there is something I can do to speed up next version, I want to do my best!
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: August 05, 2009, 09:38:58 am »

The Sims (Best Selling PC game ever) involves Sex pretty blatantly (and defecation to boot), but does it in a relatively tasteful way (AKA it happens, good for you, move on).

I think that I would be actually angry to find out that animal husbandry was considered an inappropriate subject for ANY culture, especially one as meatriffic as mine (US)

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: August 05, 2009, 10:49:40 am »

You hack the dwarf in the left ovary with your Steel battle axe!

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: August 05, 2009, 01:20:37 pm »

The Sims (Best Selling PC game ever) involves Sex pretty blatantly (and defecation to boot), but does it in a relatively tasteful way (AKA it happens, good for you, move on).

I think that I would be actually angry to find out that animal husbandry was considered an inappropriate subject for ANY culture, especially one as meatriffic as mine (US)

You'd be surprised. I had to spend a half hour explaining to my little brother that yes, meat does come from animals, and yes, lamb comes from little baby sheep. Delicious little baby sheep...

I think most of the suggestions sound fairly good. Like the others said, we don't need to go explicit with the whole act of reproduction. Heck, Zoo Tycoon had it, and that's rated what, G?

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: August 05, 2009, 01:35:54 pm »

Its E10+ actually.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: August 05, 2009, 07:26:39 pm »

What is it about sex being such a thing anyways? It's like with some people, ''Yes, gore and blood and all is nice, but sex? Goodness no!''. Get over it.

OK, maybe I'm not the best type to discuss this. I am against age marking games and such anyway. I grew up with gore, violence and sex, so guess I'm not an Average Joe, but it's still strange being so puristic about it all.

Okay back on topic. Is there going to be an actual benefit to neutering and limiting reproduction and all?

And also, I don't think Sims were the best selling PC game ever. Wasn't there a couple more successful ones?
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: August 05, 2009, 07:33:03 pm »

Is there going to be an actual benefit to neutering and limiting reproduction and all?

Yes.

• Breeding for certain traits, now that basic genetics is implemented (and might be expanded in the future, for all we know)
  • Preventing pet overpopulation (which may be more relevant once things don't reproduce by spores, obviously)
  • Bulleted lists are my best friends
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: August 05, 2009, 07:55:27 pm »

And also, I don't think Sims were the best selling PC game ever. Wasn't there a couple more successful ones?

The Sims (16 mil)
The Sims 2 (13 mil)
World of Warcraft (11.5 mil)
...etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games

There are several more succesful games, but as for PC games those are the top three

nordo

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think so, Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: August 05, 2009, 08:06:13 pm »

Could we have Sex Text in the same format as Battle Text?  If it isn't included officially, somebody will undoubtedly mod it and name it the "Sexting Mod"  I think I speak for all of us when I say that I will certainly download that mod, at least to just take a look at how insane it is.
Prepared monarch butterfly brain.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: August 05, 2009, 08:13:40 pm »

Okay, this topic is rapidly heading into FATAL territory.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 1065